Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

London: the unlockening/relockening

With stupidly bad timing, I've had to get to work by public transport instead of cycling for about a week. It's felt increasingly safe, though, with fewer and fewer other passengers, and the great majority with masks. Surprised and relieved to see that it's not just me that gets on the bus and opens windows, and that people will sit down next to an open window without looking like they want to shut it.

I remember in autumn 2020 dreading the thought of having to get the bus in cold winter weather, thinking about the usual heavy condensation on windows. Think I managed to dodge it last year. This year has been condensation-free, thus far :)

I drove back from Bath yesterday and traffic was lighter when I got into London at about 4pm , drove down the A40 to Edgware Rd , then up through Regent's Park, Camden, Highbury Corner, Dalston and there were very few delays . Normally I can rely on a few major traffic snarl ups.

Last edited:
Now in a bar for refreshments. It's less than a quarter full, the staff are very flat as were most of staff I've spoken to in shops

Went out last night in West End to a show that was actually going ahead (Nutcracker at English National Ballet)- a lot of theatres dark. Ballet show I'm sure would normally be sold out but I'd say 10-15% of people probably dropped out.

Restaurants really empty - a few people indoors and outdoors, but I expect, even on a Monday, they'd usually be spilling over. Streets not deserted by any means, but significantly less thronguing than usual.

It's all rather sad. Business's have suffered very badly over the last year, especially the smaller ones and pubs, restaurants, hairdressers etc. One would hope and expect them to be really busy at the moment...from what I have seen they are far from busy.

The queues outside the cheesemongers of East Dulwich were quite something when I walked past a couple of hours ago.

No cheesemongers here. Although also haven't really been out much so perhaps there's tons of people just out of sight and perhaps there's also a ton of cheesemongers too. :hmm:

Back
Top Bottom