Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

London: the unlockening/relockening

The tube is back to normal times. With I would say 40% mask wearing. It will be interesting to see whether today's news make a change.

The tube is back to normal times. With I would say 40% mask wearing. It will be interesting to see whether today's news make a change.
Apart from the strikes:

The service was due to resume on Saturday night but staff have walked out in a dispute over driver rotas.

A union says changes to rotas will ruin members' work-life balance but transport bosses called the strike "unnecessary action".

Customers are advised to check before they travel and use buses to complete their journeys where required.

Tonight's much lauded and hyped relaunch of the night tube is meant to another step in London's rebuilding.

It's particularly important to the night time economy and the West End in particular.

So a half-cocked launch with a reduced service is pretty embarrassing both for London Underground and the Mayor.

Ultimately they couldn't get the RMT Union on board with the new conditions and went ahead anyway.

Businesses will hope a resolution is quick and this doesn't hang over the whole a Christmas period.
Typical lack of joined up thinking between reporting on this and whats happening with the pandemic.

I am just home from the supermarket. About 50% of people were wearing masks, the majority that were not were builders.

I am just home from the supermarket. About 50% of people were wearing masks, the majority that were not were builders.
Builders, they love it dont they?, the more it scares/winds up others the more of a buzz they get, fucking knuckle draggers

commute yesterday was back to pre-covid normal levels of extremely busy on tube and train. was surprised that mask wearing seemed to be back up to 95% ish, certainly on the tube.

I'm pleased but not surprised, I would have been more surprised and horrified if there hadnt been an obvious, rapid change to these sorts of behaviours.

Fatigue is real but it is grossy overstated, not least by those seeking to justify slow and limited government response. Whitty for example is often caught between a rock and a hard place due to the nature of his role and the governments crappy preferences, but he too readily falls back on fatigue and non-compliance excuses in order to try to square the circle.

It's been compulsory on the tube right through though - so nothing has changed as far as the rules about what you're supposed to do on the tube are concerned.

But for whatever reason, the fact that it's now compulsory on all transport seems to have changed some people's minds about what they should do on this one particular mode. Sort of interesting.

UK authorities havent relied on formal enforcement and the threat of formal enforcement much at all in the grand scheme of things. Mood music, general and specific fears, press attention etc, are a huge driver of behavioural changes. Plus as we saw when mask compliance was eroding, people are driven by what they see others doing, so once momentum goes back in the other direction it ends up accelerating change.

Could you (or anyone) please post a link to the page where that info is available.

I thought I had saved the link, but can't now find it.

There is an interactive map on the UK dashboard that starts to show that sort of level of detail when you zoom in on the map sufficiently.

In terms of the image in the post you mention, the font used for the title makes me think Daily Mail graphic. For all their ridiculous, deranged and dangerous output in this pandemic, they are also massively into producing rather large quantities of graphical illustrations of pandemic data.

There is an interactive map on the UK dashboard that starts to show that sort of level of detail when you zoom in on the map sufficiently.

In terms of the image in the post you mention, the font used for the title makes me think Daily Mail graphic. For all their ridiculous, deranged and dangerous output in this pandemic, they are also massively into producing rather large quantities of graphical illustrations of pandemic data.
Thanks, that's the page I was after.

I see they now include info on vaccinations, which is new since the last time I looked.

Rates in my local area don't look great :(

• Sad
Reactions: Sue
Back
Top Bottom