Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

London Student protests - Wed 8th Dec+ Thurs 9th

He also fatally undermines his own position at the same time. If the police, as he claims, as an organisation are never the first to use force then why does he go onto to say then when they do use force first it's as part of a plan to prevent disorder. There's a claim that something never happens followed by a (feeble) explanation of why it does happen.

His claim of police infallibility (they are 'invariably correct') re. the instigation of violence, is so at odds with many many people's firsthand experience, that he leaves himself and the positions he tries so very hard to defend, open to ridicule. So for all his attempts to explain and defend the police force, his tunnel vision and hyperbole actually undermine those explanations and defences.

Louis MacNeice

don't be surprised if on the next demonstration the cops get a fucking good hiding from demonstrators who won't accept this again. I for one hope so.

And that's the crux - a large proportion of those kettled on the bridge were youngsters - next time it won't be kids, & plod will have to face the consequences.

the fucking cheek of it. i bet you took evey opportunity to prove just how 'easily' they broke
Even as recently as the mid 80s, using your truncheon was not something you did lightly and it (rightly) always resulted in lots of hard questions by supervisors. Many officers simply did not take them on patrol with them. It was not at all unusual for an officer to go through their entire service and never have to even draw their truncheon, let alone use it in any significant way.

The change in officer safety tactics - in which the racking and brandishing of a baton became a very low-level intervention, intended to deter further attack - changed the situation beyond recognition. If you could do it, I would think that the number of uses of batons in a single month now would more than exceed the number of uses in an entire year twenty five years ago.

The impact of this change of tactics has definitely not been recognised and has therefore not been addressed in training. As I am arguing here, it has also not been considered in relation to public order tactics where the individual officer is acting as part of a unit or team and thus the use of individual officer safety tactics is often inappropriate.

It seemed pretty simple to me. The police are never the first to use force, but they may use force in order to stop something that is about to happen. Have you not seen Minority Report? :rolleyes:

DB is able to supprt this Minority Report approach because he knows as an article of faith that 'the police (as an organisation) are invariably correct'; if you start from such a premise, re. the intigation of violence, the it almost becomes the police's duty to act as they do (but only almost).

Louis MacNeice

(Personally I think it unwise to use the tactic on a bridge over the Thames - not because it is likely to actually become necessary for people to jump, or be forced, over the sides but because some people may panic and believe that they have to.)

Nice to hear that from you, but plod clearly didn't give a fuck in this case.

Though saying that (EDO demo May last year) plod tried to kettle on Brighton seafront - the consequence of that was protesters started to climb over the railings to drop 20ft onto the steps below. We promptly got in their faces to say that this was an inappropriate & dangerous kettle & that someone was about to get seriously hurt, so they then broke the kettle.

i'll dig out the papers. But this was in court, which i sat through for several days to listen to no amount of bullshit from the top boys in blue, all of whom passed on responsibility for forming a kettle before their was any evidence of violence by protestors. In fact they presented no evidence of any form of violence being committed before the kettle and justified the kettle for the violence that happened after people were penned in against their will and battered indiscrimately by riot police.
Containment is a tactic which is intended to prevent violence and disorder. There is no requirement for any previous violence before it can be used. The Courts acknowledged that it could be used as a preventative measure (though they suggested there should be sound grounds for doing so). Violent resistance against the tactic cannot be justifed on the basis of the containment being "violent" any more than an attack on a simple police line across a particular street could be justified on the basis of that line being "violent".

The fact that being contained for a significant amount of time is likely the result in understandable (if not justifiable) frustration and violence needs to be properly understood by commanders using the tactic (and I am not sure it is).

As I have said since the issue first came to prominence after G20 (and as the Courts and HIMIC have repeated in various ways), the containment should be for the minimum period possible, arrangements for the provision of water, toilet facilities, etc. for contained crowds musy be considered over any minimum period (maybe a couple of hours) and there must be practicable means for people with genuine reason to be allowed out of the containment. Although there has been some evidence of these things happening (the police now even have portable toilet facilities built into their operational planning when they anticipate long term containment may be necessary) I am not at all sure that enough has been done (and the length of the containment on Westminster Bridge the other night seems particular excessive.

just as i thought long term desk jockey - you were the reason the cps took over the charging process because you could never get the fucking charge right.
It was your apparent reference to a Judicial Review into overall tactics by gold and silver commanders which confused me. You mixed up three different details (what it was, what it was about and by whom it was done) into an unintelligble whole.

Any chance of you (and others) keeping this civil please? It would be a shame to see this important thread being trashed by another name-calling, expletive-fest.
Any chance of you dealing with their obsessive posting of frequently content-free rubbish, aimed only at having a pop at me, and stalking me from thread to thread to do so?

And any chance of you counting up the number of such posts and comparing it to the number of responses I eventually feel moved to make? (which I will guarantee is at least ten to one)?

(Funny how I am always the first to be pulled about this, isn't it ... :hmm:)

That's disingenuous in the extreme. The police lines are on both sides in a kettle. That is entirely different from a 'simple police line' – it is the opposite, in fact: one police line across a street is an attempt to stop a crowd from moving into an area; two police lines on either side of a crowd is an attempt to stop a crowd from moving out of an area. I can see no justification for this, none whatever. How is it not unlawful detention without charge of people exercising their democratic right to walk the streets?

And that's the crux - a large proportion of those kettled on the bridge were youngsters - next time it won't be kids, & plod will have to face the consequences.

I've moaned about apolitical british students before- not anymore. And the thought does strike me that if this is how a seemingly docile group react to the swingeing cuts then is this going to be repeated by other sectors when the pinch really kicks in. I hope so.

Yes, I know that. But the other police tactics amount to detention short of arrest too, in fact even if never established in law.

And, as I acknowledged, a very low level of force is obviously inherent in any detention ... but I asked for evidence that it was "violent" in the usually understood meaning of the word (you don't, for instance, automatically describe every arrest as "violent" even though a low level of force is always used. It is not helpful to describe containment as a "violent" tactic - it is plainly nothing of the sort when compared with tactics such as baton charges, mounted police charges, snatch squads, etc.

the term violence is not defined in law, which has always been a problem given the four main public order laws use it as their foundation.

Detention short of arrest involves by its nature coercion and compulsion, and the use of force as a necessary requirement.

Baton charges, mounted police charges, snatch squads etc are all part of the kettling process.

If the police, as he claims, as an organisation are never the first to use force then why does he go onto to say then when they do use force first it's as part of a plan to prevent disorder.
I draw a distinction between using some level of force and using "violence".

Using some level of force is absolutely commonplace in all policing. When the police have said "no" for some reason, and people insist of attempting to ignore that direction, then force immediately becomes necessary to prevent them doing so. There is no reason why it should be otherwise in public order policing.

That is not being "violent". And if the crowd resistance was restricted to pushing and shoving (i.e. the same level of force being used) then no-one would be complaining and no-one would be describing it as "violence".

It is utterly fuckwitted to describe the use of restrictive tactics, such as cordons and containment, by the police as "violent" and to compare them with the throwing of fireworks, bricks, bottles, etc.; the use of poles as weapons, etc. which are plainly the first "violence" which happens in the vast majority of cases.

Any chance of you dealing with their obsessive posting of frequently content-free rubbish, aimed only at having a pop at me, and stalking me from thread to thread to do so?

And any chance of you counting up the number of such posts and comparing it to the number of responses I eventually feel moved to make? (which I will guarantee is at least ten to one)?

(Funny how I am always the first to be pulled about this, isn't it ... :hmm:)

Because you, taking the lead form 'the police as an organisation', would never instigate such behaviour?

Louis MacNeice

If you arrest someone or detain them, that is in itself an act of violence, even if they come quietly. Last time I was arrested, I decided not to resist, even though the arrest was entirely unjustified. Had I resisted, I would have been dealt with violently – I knew this, so I decided not to resist. Using the threat of violence to make a person do something is itself an act of violence.

I draw a distinction between using some level of force and using "violence".

Using some level of force is absolutely commonplace in all policing. When the police have said "no" for some reason, and people insist of attempting to ignore that direction, then force immediately becomes necessary to prevent them doing so. There is no reason why it should be otherwise in public order policing.

That is not being "violent". And if the crowd resistance was restricted to pushing and shoving (i.e. the same level of force being used) then no-one would be complaining and no-one would be describing it as "violence".

It is utterly fuckwitted to describe the use of restrictive tactics, such as cordons and containment, by the police as "violent" and to compare them with the throwing of fireworks, bricks, bottles, etc.; the use of poles as weapons, etc. which are plainly the first "violence" which happens in the vast majority of cases.

Surely you mean all cases?

Louis MacNeice

Fuck off. The first act in those 'restrictive tactics', the charging of a crowd on horseback, is as clear an act of violence as you could hope to imagine. The police assume that they have the right to tell people where to go, and that they have the right to hit anyone who refuses to go. All else follows from there.

It's mostly referring to WW2, Vietnam, Korea etc. It does say this though; "Superior training currently used by military organizations helps make the decision for the individual." There certainly wasn't any 'superior training' given to soldiers of those said wars, unlike today where there is superior & intensive training.
So, by noting that superior training "helps" make the decision for the individual, you acknowledge that there will still be instances where, no matter how good the training, an individual may get carried away ... which is what we have been observing time and again in the footage of the polciing of the demonstrations.

Containment is a tactic which is intended to prevent the right to protest.

Containment is a tactic which is intended to provoke an aggressive reaction.

Yep. And it was ever thus. In that sense, kettling is merely the development of a policy that has always been in place.

So from a picture, you know for definite that it's a snooker ball?
No, but it looked entirely consistent with being one (I specifically noticed because I had personally never previously encoutnered, or even heard of, snooker balls being thrown at demonstrations and when I read the reports of that I was surprised).

And I made no comment whatsoever about how it got there - I simply answered editor's question "Has anyone seen these snooker balls?" or whatever it was. Why imply that I did? :confused:

actually dug out this gem from the court ruling about Mayday 2001 kettle.

"The facts of this case are quite exceptional. Never before, or since, May 1, 2001 have the police in England formed cordons enclosing a crowd of thousands before a substantial breakdown of law and order has occurred, with the result that the crowd were prevented from leaving for many hours".
That was said in 2005.

His claim of police infallibility (they are 'invariably correct') re. the instigation of violence, is so at odds with many many people's firsthand experience ...
Please provide ANY example of a situation (a situation as a whole, not on a one-to-one basis) in which there is evidence of the use of violence by the police happening before any use of violence by any of the protestors ...

We promptly got in their faces to say that this was an inappropriate & dangerous kettle & that someone was about to get seriously hurt, so they then broke the kettle.
Which is exactly as it should be. There will always be situations in which unexpected / unforeseen (for whatever reason - changes in circumstances, lack of local knowledge or simply incompetence) things happen when any tactic is used. We need to reach a position where that sort of communication and cooperation between police and protestors is the norm and not the exception.

So, by noting that superior training "helps" make the decision for the individual, you acknowledge that there will still be instances where, no matter how good the training, an individual may get carried away ... which is what we have been observing time and again in the footage of the polciing of the demonstrations.

Your post was about a 'psychological reluctance' to engage with the enemy, & not engaging with the enemy is far from getting carried away.

Don't start twisting this as you do with monotonous regularity!

No, but it looked entirely consistent with being one (I specifically noticed because I had personally never previously encoutnered, or even heard of, snooker balls being thrown at demonstrations and when I read the reports of that I was surprised).

And I made no comment whatsoever about how it got there - I simply answered editor's question "Has anyone seen these snooker balls?" or whatever it was. Why imply that I did? :confused:

What you said was that there was definitely a snooker ball there; not maybe, or something that could be, or looked like, or might be. You like your assertions presented as facts don't you.

Louis MacNeice

Back
Top Bottom