Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Linked fire/heat alarms law

I mean this is just silly, Sas. It's a sensible idea and could save lives (and get fires put out before the house is destroyed). You're just against it for spite because it's Nicola Sturgeon telling you which is pretty childish.

No. It is because the current arrangement, which has worked flawlessly for the last 32 years is perfectly OK.

We would gain absolutely nothing by putting one of those hideous things on our living room ceiling.

Why not? They're interlinked.

Update - I just checked here. Daft.

Yes - whilst I do agree broadly with the provision of smoke/heat detectors and particularly to improve safety in the rental/care sectors, I also agree with both Danny and Sass that for the domestic sector, the legislation is poorly-written/unworkable mess that didn't get right on a number of levels.

No. It is because the current arrangement, which has worked flawlessly for the last 32 years is perfectly OK.

We would gain absolutely nothing by putting one of those hideous things on our living room ceiling.
Does it have to be there? Is it not hear detector in the kitchen, one fire detector upstairs, and one in the entrance hall?

Or do I need one in the TV lounge, one upstairs lounge in addition to the others?

Yes - whilst I do agree broadly with the provision of smoke/heat detectors and particularly to improve safety in the rental/care sectors, I also agree with both Danny and Sass that for the domestic sector, the legislation is poorly-written/unworkable mess that didn't get right on a number of levels.

You are not expecting competence from the SNP surely.

Look at their competence in everything else they touch, from hospitals to ferries. A bunch of delusional amateurs, where ideological purity trumps anything else.

Hugh Pennington should have been leading our Covid response, instead we got a sociologist, a dentist, and anthropologist and a GP.

The interlinked ones in my block set off so many false alarms many people just unplugged them. So now they're worse off than even having a cheap one.

The fire brigade put them up at mum and dad's when they were attending a chimney fire back in January. :cool: They just screwed them to the ceiling. Unlike any fire alarms I've had in the past they do not go off every time you even think about sausages.
STOP THINKING ABOUT SAUSAGES!

🔥🌭🔥🌭🔥🌭🔥🌭🔥🚒

At basic, you need one in the main/most occupied room/s and circulation spaces, on every foor if there is more than one and a heat detector in the kitchen.

There are other requirements for carbon monoxide detectors to be connected if you have a boiler - central heating or water but not for a normal gas cooker/gas fire.

Last edited:
I've a gas boiler in the kitchen, upstairs and downstairs Common areas, and two lounges. I assume from all the forgoing I need heat and CO² in the kitchen, fire detectors in both lounges, on the upstairs landing and downstairs entrance hall. All interlinked.

We have two lounges, so that's additional costs. Unless I can add them to the intruder alarm system it's going to be a lot of money.

This is where home automation systems really start to look attractive - One of my colleagues got in to this big-time over lockdown and he continues to amaze me with just what he can connect to his system and integrate fully/monitor/operate remotely - so much more than any intruder/alarm system I've yet seen is capable of!

It also struck me that as far as privacy went, if he was an obsessive/controlling personality, his partner could have been somewhere very dark indeed in this environment.

However, the legislation clearly did nothing to exploit the potential of or even anticipate that this degree of interoperability/connectivity when it was framed.

IIRC most devices, incl the battery ones can be interlinked to a network of about a dozen devices in the same home, although most homes won't need more than three or four.

Last edited:
Hugh Pennington should have been leading our Covid response, instead we got a sociologist, a dentist, and anthropologist and a GP.

I think Pennington's "leadership" would have been more akin to Hindenburg and Ludendorff in WW1 Germany. He was absolutely the right person to call-in as troubleshooter/heavy hitter for the limited outbreaks but he's not a team player in the wider political/public sense. You would have seen a real dictatorship under him!

I've a gas boiler in the kitchen, upstairs and downstairs Common areas, and two lounges. I assume from all the forgoing I need heat and CO² in the kitchen, fire detectors in both lounges, on the upstairs landing and downstairs entrance hall. All interlinked.

Or you can simply ignore the idiots.

I mean this is just silly, Sas. It's a sensible idea and could save lives (and get fires put out before the house is destroyed). You're just against it for spite because it's Nicola Sturgeon telling you which is pretty childish.

I must admit, I live in a small two bedroom flat and two smoke alarms + one heat alarm does seem a bit overkill in terms of distance between alarms. But I just got on with it. I've heard people say it only really matters if you're planning on selling the property and doesn't affect insurance (though no-one take my word for it :D). It was easy(ish) enough to do, but it did involve drilling into some asbestos I had no idea was there. :oops:

I must admit, I live in a small two bedroom flat and two smoke alarms + one heat alarm does seem a bit overkill in terms of distance between alarms. But I just got on with it. I've heard people say it only really matters if you're planning on selling the property and doesn't affect insurance (though no-one take my word for it :D). It was easy(ish) enough to do, but it did involve drilling into some asbestos I had no idea was there. :oops:
That implies its a very doable DIY project.

You could have just used a commercial/industrial double sided sticky tape. They’re not exactly heavy.

I consulted my insurance company, Direct Line, they were not bothered whether we had them or not.

I don’t think it’s statutory to have linked fire detectors in a domestic property unless it’s new build or you’re planning on having tenants in it.
Although, are you talking about Spain? I wouldn’t know about there.
It's now the law in Scotland for all residential properties. May be a knee jerk reaction to the Art School and other random fires, who knows. But it's definitely the law.

Are they coming round to check? Not that I'm aware.i have linked alarms, you can trace the cables, and the flat is small enough that I would hear any alarm going off anyway, so it feels a bit much.

dessiato phone any electrician local to you and ask about the interlinked fire alarms requirements. They will talk you through it.

It's now the law in Scotland for all residential properties. May be a knee jerk reaction to the Art School and other random fires, who knows. But it's definitely the law.
Yeah, I didn't realise he meant Scotland at first. I also didn't realise that Scottish regulations would be separate to The UK/EU or that Govts were the ones to set them (although they obviously pass things into law).

Yeah, I didn't realise he meant Scotland at first. I also didn't realise that Scottish regulations would be separate to The UK/EU or that Govts were the ones to set them (although they obviously pass things into law).
May I respectfully suggest that you listen to the people who actually live in Scotland please?

May I respectfully suggest that you listen to the people who actually live in Scotland please?
Did I not do that once I understood? BTW, Fire alarm systems and fire risk assessments are very much part of what I do as a living. So I may treat your respectful suggestions with some caution.

Did I not do that once I understood? BTW, Fire alarm systems and fire risk assessments are very much part of what I do as a living. So I may treat your respectful suggestions with some caution.
If it's what you do for a living you should know when there are different laws applying across the UK.

And quite frankly when weepiper pointed out that the laws were different, you were a bit dismissive of her post - until other, male posters pointed out she was correct.

If it's what you do for a living you should know when there are different laws applying across the UK.

And quite frankly when weepiper pointed out that the laws were different, you were a bit dismissive of her post - until other, male posters pointed out she was correct.

I didn’t read her link due to me making an incorrect assumption. But then I did read it when it was pointed out my assumption was incorrect.

And you’re wrong about this. Scotland wasn’t even mentioned in the OP or title (hence my incorrect assumption) until Sue mentioned it and whose post I liked for doing so. So not ‘male posters’ at all (although some did then follow).

Back
Top Bottom