Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Glasgow School of Art Rennie Mackintosh building is on fire

Reports from the scene say the library has gone.

Glasgow_School_of_Art_Library.jpg

It's a glorious room, just awful it's gone. If you've got to be stuck in a library to get your work done, that's the sort of library you want to be stuck in. :(

they just mentioned that on the bbc news

e2a
Firefighters battling the blaze at Glasgow School of Art's Mackintosh building say they have prevented the destruction of both the structure and the majority of its contents.

Scottish Fire and Rescue Service crews are continuing work to fully extinguish the fire and save artworks.

The fire service said more than 90% of the structure was viable and they had protected up to 70% of the contents.
hero fire fighters again
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-27553056

Was this to do with the Commonwealth opening ceremony?

Sad news though. Not a big Rennie Macintosh fan, but it was a lovely building.

I saw a friend's comment about devastation at the art school on facebook earlier and assumed it was a snarky remark about the new building across the road.

Then I saw the pictures on the news just now.

Spent three years of my life as a student there. It's a very beautiful building and sets the scene for so much that happens at the art school. I really hope the damage isn't as bad as was being suggested earlier.

It's probably the most photographed, drawn and documented building in Scotland so a reconstruction wouldn't be difficult if need be. I really hope the library room hasn't been lost though.

Oh fuck, just saw this. Tragic. Such an iconic building. My dad studied there, an uncle was a lecturer & many friends went there too. A sad loss for Glasgow.

That's mostly good news. From the photos it looked like it was completely gutted. Terrible shame about the library but hopefully it will be lovingly and respectfully recreated soon.

That's mostly good news. From the photos it looked like it was completely gutted. Terrible shame about the library but hopefully it will be lovingly and respectfully recreated soon.
Yes I absolutely agree, much better news than I expected from the news coverage and photos.

I wish I could stop feeling as upset about this, but I suppose nothing lasts forever etc, and the archives are safe and so much good news really.

cesare said:
I was just reading this out to button, and had to stop due to overwhelming grit in eye when I got to "human wall of fire fighters".

I know. I'm surprised at the emotional response I'm having about it considering I've never been there.
Great job by the emergency services.

How do we know it's an amazing job by the fire service? Maybe it was, maybe they should have been able to save the library. Who knows. What's the benchmark?

How do we know it's an amazing job by the fire service? Maybe it was, maybe they should have been able to save the library. Who knows. What's the benchmark?
The benchmark was the whole building not being destroyed. Given the location and that fire easily spreads if not contained, they could have concentrated on saving surrounding buildings not the art school building itself.

Bloody stupid question.

Back
Top Bottom