Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Leather Trousers. Have you ever owned a pair of.

have you ever owned a pair of Leather Trousers

• Total voters
That puts me off them - they must stink after a while. :(

You pull the lining out and wash that with a sponge. The leather just got a regular airing and an occasional wipe-down with something to keep it waterproof/supple.

I'm another who had them for motorcycling purposes Think I went through three pairs in my riding career and I'd probably still ft the last pair OK. Didn't wear them when I wasn't on the bike though.

I had a friend who had stinky leather trousers. I think I would find them restrictive. I am slim hipped with big leg muscles so finding trousers with comfortable legs and waist can be difficult anyway.

I read a biography of Jim Morrison when I was about 16 and an anecdote about Morrison wearing stinky leather trousers for weeks at a time gave me a longstanding prejudice against the garment and I never wore leather trousers during the approximately decade-long window where I could have fitted into them and looked good.

But if I make it into my sixties and no longer fear embarrassment, death, or offending people with the odour from unwashed trousers, I can definitely see myself donning plus-size leather trousers and driving around on a motorbike.
Also had problems with his footwear

" I'll never wake up in a good mood again. I'm sick of these stinky boots." An American Prayer

In late 2001 I bought a pair of fake leather, plum coloured, snakeskin-effect trousers in the sale. They had ridiculously long legs, but being fabric-backed plastic, they only needed a sharp pair of scissors to lop 6 inches off each leg. They looked amazing, and I was very pleased.

And then I went out in them. I went to a kind of pub-with-dancing - not a proper sweaty nightclub. But within half an hour it became clear that they were not for me. When I took them off at the end of the night, my legs were soaking, running wet. Like I’d just got out of the bath. The sensation of soaking wet sweaty legs from waist to socks was not one I could bear to repeat.

I’ve no idea if real leather would be less sweaty. I don’t wear trousers these days, other than pyjama/lounging pants, so I suspect I shall never find out.

Of course they need cleaning! The comparison to shoes doesn’t work. I wouldn’t want to get up close with a pair of stinky boots, nor would I want that bacteria anywhere near my delicate crotch-parts.

And then, foot sweat is bad enough, but trousers are pressed into the pelvic area, where there are poo and pee particles, and other bodily fluids being generated, as well as crotch-sweat and skin cells. And while fresh underpants obviously filter the worst of it, we’ve all seen too many breakthrough wet spots on the front of a bloke’s trousers to kid ourselves that the trousers aren’t being filthed up too. And that’s apart from actual dirt from sitting on the ground, spilled drinks, food/whatever.

it is manky not to have clean trousers. To pretend otherwise is blatant, scummy, self deception.

I think with real leathers, some people used to take the "tanning chemicals are excellent antimicrobials" approach/excuse to not cleaning them.

Not that I did - whenever the lining came out for a clean, the leather got a good wipe down with something antiseptic before it went out to air.

Yes, I've worn a pair. If they are too tight or stiff you might find them uncomfortable.

Also have m/c leathers, not fashionable in the least but excellent protection.

Maintain / clean with leather saddle soap [or one of the sofa / car seat products] if glossy, not sure about suede
& don't put away or store in "damp" conditions as they'll go mouldy [nor too dry, that makes the surface of leather craze]

Of course they need cleaning! The comparison to shoes doesn’t work. I wouldn’t want to get up close with a pair of stinky boots, nor would I want that bacteria anywhere near my delicate crotch-parts.

And then, foot sweat is bad enough, but trousers are pressed into the pelvic area, where there are poo and pee particles, and other bodily fluids being generated, as well as crotch-sweat and skin cells. And while fresh underpants obviously filter the worst of it, we’ve all seen too many breakthrough wet spots on the front of a bloke’s trousers to kid ourselves that the trousers aren’t being filthed up too. And that’s apart from actual dirt from sitting on the ground, spilled drinks, food/whatever.

it is manky not to have clean trousers. To pretend otherwise is blatant, scummy, self deception.
You are a person after my own heart. In my view, godliness is next to cleanliness.

I like my leather jackets. But would never wear leather trousers. The idea is a bit repellent. The creaking, warmth etc. I suppose softer leather would be different but, it’s not for me.

I read a biography of Jim Morrison when I was about 16 and an anecdote about Morrison wearing stinky leather trousers for weeks at a time gave me a longstanding prejudice against the garment and I never wore leather trousers during the approximately decade-long window where I could have fitted into them and looked good.
Yes, that's stuck in my mind for ever, too. Poor Jim.

I had some for motorcycling, in my youth.

He did at least look good in them, Jim.

I can think of other rockers who didn't fare so well. Whitesnake and whatnot. I think one of Ian Astbury's many ill-advised moments involved leather kecks.

Back
Top Bottom