Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

League 2 (old Division 4) 2021/22

Well that's got to be one of craziest nights of football I've seen in a long while. We looked more positive and seemed to remember to play the ball along the grass. Scored a goal inside 5 minutes and then had quite a few chances. There was lots of end to end play from both sides but in what felt like the eighth minute of the 6minutes extra time of the 1st half Mansfield got a goal back. I swear the ref was trying to even the game up cause his assistants were constantly looking at their watches and wondering when he'd blow the whistle.
The second half started much like the first with lots of end to end play. We again score and threaten more but just before the end of normal time we again let Mansfield equalize. This time though it was Tranmere that managed to steal the winner in the 96th minute and get the 3 points. Back up to 3rd but it's getting really close with others having games in hand.

Well that's got to be one of craziest nights of football I've seen in a long while. We looked more positive and seemed to remember to play the ball along the grass. Scored a goal inside 5 minutes and then had quite a few chances. There was lots of end to end play from both sides but in what felt like the eighth minute of the 6minutes extra time of the 1st half Mansfield got a goal back. I swear the ref was trying to even the game up cause his assistants were constantly looking at their watches and wondering when he'd blow the whistle.
The second half started much like the first with lots of end to end play. We again score and threaten more but just before the end of normal time we again let Mansfield equalize. This time though it was Tranmere that managed to steal the winner in the 96th minute and get the 3 points. Back up to 3rd but it's getting really close with others having games in hand.
Cheers for that, they looked to be picking up a head of steam. We're home to Bradford in a bit, although Hughes hasn't picked up a win yet apparently they're much improved; hope that's still a work in progress,

Well, the shit show continues. On top first half with Bradford still looking a bit creaky but we only created a couple of real chances, then went behind to a goal on the break, had Godwin Malife off for a deserved second yellow then sent the keeper up for a desperate late corner and conceded a killer at the death. Relegation form at the minute and after singing Edward's praises all season, let's see him sort it out while we've still been lucky with other results.

Still can't buy a win! It would be going some to fuck it up from here but we are going some, going some seven games without a win that is. Started well last night and scored first for the first game in ages, then a near miss and looked like happy days were back again but Orient hunkered down, went long a bit and started bossing things until they eventually got a simple deserved equaliser.
Basically looks like our early successful formula has been found out and we're short a plan b and suffering for not adding a couple of bodies. In theory there's enough winnable games left to secure automatics but playing like we are now even Scunny aren't a gimme.

Blimey, a win, had forgotten about them. Not exactly dominant performance but desperately needed. Do me.

Phew. 4 draws then 3 wins on the bounce for Orient since Kenny Jackett got the tin-tack. Couldn't have asked for a better turnaround since Richie Wellens got the job, and safety is pretty much assured after an alarming plummet down the table. He's got the same squad to work with as Jackett had, but has tweaked the starting XI and formation to good effect.

Scunthorpe played half a team of kids and we only barely scraped past :D Exeter not letting up so champions by no means guaranteed and have Stags to play twice but as the games tick by automatic promotion is looking pretty much nailed on unless something really mad happens, which of course you never rule out.

Just watched the highlights of our game. Unfortunately it doesn't show how bad the referee was before the first red card, he let so many Carlisle fouls ride without a card. Both sides had plenty of chances during the match with Carlisle's no.30 being their main man who we couldn't seem to deal with. The second red card for us was stupid and it made it all the more difficult for the rest of the team in trying to deal with the Carlisle challenges. Again we lose the points from an extra time goal.

Just watched the highlights of our game. Unfortunately it doesn't show how bad the referee was before the first red card, he let so many Carlisle fouls ride without a card. Both sides had plenty of chances during the match with Carlisle's no.30 being their main man who we couldn't seem to deal with. The second red card for us was stupid and it made it all the more difficult for the rest of the team in trying to deal with the Carlisle challenges. Again we lose the points from an extra time goal.
Was that Omari Patrick(sp?)? He was quality against us.

Yes, he was their stand out player, great turn of speed and ability to get around the pitch to either receive the ball and attack or to frustrate opponents attacks.

Matty Stevens' injury has turned out to be his cruciate so he's out the rest of the season, poor sod.

Massive win that and better still, played well to get it by all accounts, though I slept through and missed commentary. Josh March certainly stepped up but everyone back on form it seems. Bodes well as games tick away.

Pools weren't the pushover I was lead to believe and now Jamma's been injured too which leaves us without our first choice forward line. Exeter still going strong so champs not guaranteed but still looking good for autos which would do me even if it would be disappointing to be pipped at the post.

Getting completely dicked at Barrow and bloody Exeter aren't letting up. That commanding lead has all but evaporated. Erk.

We had a really shit game at Bradford. Even with them down to 10 men, they were all over us. Not sure what Mickey's pre-match briefing for the players was but the tactics have been pants for the last few games. We were lucky to get a draw from this game. We have thrown away any possible chance of an automatic promotion and now it's going to be really close to having a chance of being in the play offs.

Think that's us promoted bar some goal difference miracle - good first half against struggling Latics went two up, left them to come on second and mostly no scares but did concede a soft pen they kindly skied. Then favours from our fellow Rovers saw off Exeter and Vale. With out goal difference the only teams who can get to eighty two points are going to need to score hat fulls.
Good to see Jamma back on score sheet after a long drought.

We had a real battle versus Exeter until we got the first goal from Josh Hawkes. Then it was more of the referee being very one sided with his decisions. We continued battling away and then in the 84 minute Elliott Nevin popped up and scored our second. Much better performance all round from the team but until all the teams are level on games played it's still a lottery as to whether we can even stay in the play off places.

Big game down in Bristol for us, our closest away game at the gas who unfortunately are in great form. Not sure how to call it, should think they're slight pre-match favourites but hoping we can raise our game like we did at prenton park.

We had a shocker at Stevenage. Most of the team were playing like they were on trial kick about, not what we needed to try to maintain a push for a play off place.

I'm delighted Forest Green Rovers will be automatically promoted :)

With Oxford now very unlikely (incapable? -- I'll have to check :oops: ) of making the Leagie One play-offs any more, I'll gain an easy away ground to get to from South Wales next season :cool:

(Shame Newport and Bristol Rovers couldn't manage it ;) )

I understand Forest Green will be opening a new ground** (for next season?)

**@JimW , where is that? Nearer Stroud than the current one? Cheers :)

Last edited:
I'm delighted Forest Green Rovers will be automatically promoted :)

With Oxford now very unlikely (incapable? -- I'll have to check :oops: ) of making the Leagie One play-offs any more, I'll gain an easy away ground to get to from South Wales next season :cool:

(Shame Newport and Bristol Rovers couldn't manage it ;) )

I understand Forest Green will be opening a new ground** (for next season?)

**@JimW , where is that? Nearer Stroud than the current one? Cheers :)
Bit nearer but still a few miles out, at Eastington by the motorway, though transport links will be easier. Think the training facilities might be ready for next season but the ground's still a couple of years off, planning permission took a while and currently archaeologists are checking the site. All wood, does look amazing on the mock ups, though whether that makes it a good venue to watch footy suppose we'll have to wait and see.

Sunderland or Wednesday fans having to slog up spring hill to stand in our bus shelter of an away end will rub in how far they've fallen!

Deservedly beat at Swindon, even though they went down to ten early second half and we peppered their goal mostly ineffectually. They understandably shithoused their way to full time. Exeter now level of points after a scrappy win against RESURGENT Barrow so if we want to be champions will have to get our fingers out. Hard to say who has the trickier final ties but they have much better form and fair play to them if they pip us as they really reeled us in from that commanding lead. Would love to win it as we've not topped a division since Southern League IIRC but would settle for promotion.
Play-offs still far from settled either, hence Swindon being so keen for the win last night.

Oof, utter shambles with a bumper crowd at home to Harrogate who had nothing to play for but tonked us, Exeter's point knocks us off the top for the first time since last Autmn which in retrospect is surprising it took so long given recent form but still a damp squib end to a great season. Might still nick it as they have Vale who have plenty to play for but they're a very good side and resilient, while we were playing above ourselves really and can't seem to lift it up there again, especially with stevens out. Never know though.

Last edited:
We won our final home game 2-0 against Oldham. They had a good following and there was plenty of gallows humour from them. It's never nice to drop out of the league. You don't know what your going to come up against and it's bloody difficult to bounce straight back. It'll take a bloody miracle for us to get last spot in the playoffs from our last game against Orient next Saturday.

Back
Top Bottom