Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

League 2 (old Division 4) 2021/22

Good 2-1 win against Crawley with Peter Clarke scoring twice. Initially it had the feel of a nil nil draw but after a few chances we got the break and looked to have the upper hand only to get pegged back by Crawley after a sloppy error. But then cometh the hour, cometh the man with Clarke getting the winner. Roll on Friday now against Colchester.

Another win for the Super Whites taking us up to 4th spot. Cracking goals from Josh Hawkes and the evergreen Peter Clarke sink Colchester's chances of climbing up from the bottom section of the table.

Bit of a no-show from us in the early telly game though fair play to Swindon who would have called it off due to missing called up players but still looked the more cohesive unit and were well worth their win though we did work their keeper a bit. Missed a pen at the end too to sum our day up.

Back on track against poor old Scunthorpe but they made us work for it, which we only really did for a short spell after half time but it was enough. Got a bit bad tempered and a flurry of cards too, which is out of character for us under Edwards. Harrogate losing means we have a healthy lead at the top again.

One own goal for us and a missed penalty gave us the win against Carlisle but it wasn't as comfortable as it should have been in the last 10 minutes. We started bright and had a disallowed goal on three minutes. It then was a battle for the rest of the first half with Carlisle committing plenty of fouls which the ref and his linesman missed or waived away all claims for the free kicks. Then the second half and along came our goal off a Carlisle defender. The half carried on with us the much better side at passing it forward but not really troubling their goalie until Josh Hawkes was stopped by a foul and a penalty was awarded. Kieron Morris stepped up but it was a very poor kick. Roll on Harrogate on Tuesday.

Honours even tonight against Harrogate. Had to buy a ticket to stand in their Home end as couldn't get an away one before attending. Luckily I couldn't make much noise as I'd lost my voice before attending so didn't give my self away.
Both sides made silly errors and had chances to seal the victory, so a draw was a fair result.

Solid win in the end against the Class of 92, started well but they were physical and scored route one against the run when we went missing at the back, then three great goals in reply after a short wobble, Cadden quality free kick waking up all the higher league scouts again, Wilson with a fantastic run and shot then good team goal in added time to seal it. Jostling in the pack behind adds another point to the gap at the top. Good times!

Bit of a shit show today. We were ok in the first half and kept it level at 0-0 at half time but come the second half and it all went to pot and we were lucky not to end up on a greater loss than we did. If the Northampton number 19 had been on better form he could have had at least 4 goals. Don't think I'll be watching the highlights on Quest.

Nice local trip for me tomorrow to Mansfield, all of 12 minutes by train, makes a change from the usual 2hour car journey for a home game.

Came away with a point from Bradford in a game where we didn't really get going and Cook missed a sitter or two as well as burying the free header we gave him, so can't complain.

That was another shit show. Why Micky insists on a lone striker I can't work out given that the team can't seem to function with that formation? The new Mani at 9 is crap. He can't jump and doesn't persist when he loses a ball.
It could have been worse if they'd scored their penalty but luckily their player skyed the ball.

Finally back in league action after disgracing ourselves in the cup, long layoff means full squad to pick from and we've started brightly at Pools, one up but they've started to settle and have a good home record so not counting any chickens.

Well, that's gone well, got a third just on the stroke of half time and Pools seem all out of shape with their managerial shake-up

Eased off in he second half then late flap as we conceded a soft pen but just as Hartlepool got a lifeline they had a man sent off for some sort of handbags so saw it out fine in the end, shame about no clean sheet. Vale losing late helps with the gap at the top, Exeter the chasers now.

Didn't make it up to listen in the wee small last night but sounds like after a more even first half against visiting Barrow we had another gear second half; seen the goals and second is great interplay between the mighty Matt and Stevens who will have enjoyed scoring against a Mark Cooper side. Stumbles in the chasing pack again so lead at top looking healthy, but still early doors on the season of course.

Great win against big neighbours the Gas, started a bit wobbly but tore into them for half an hour and finally got a goal after several great chances and them with barely a sniff though rallied a little just as half was ending. Second looked to be going same way buy Godwin-Malife got a deserved second yellow after a stupid first one for kicking the bal away so looked like it was going to be backs to the wall but defended really soundly and got a slightly doge pen to steady late nerves. Really flying at the moment and the whole feel around the team and manager has that something that makes you think it's not a fluke.

Barton's got off somehow. Is Trevor Kettle a magistrate in his day job?
Unbelievably, it was actually a trial by jury, so we have to keep him on at least until the new year, when he'll hopefully get sent down for the other charge he's on.

Unbelievably, it was actually a trial by jury, so we have to keep him on at least until the new year, when he'll hopefully get sent down for the other charge he's on.
Seems the push came from behind so suppose that was their reasonable doubt. He's grown a Hitler tache by the looks of the pic my story has, like he's taunting us.

God we made hard work of the game against Oldham. Managed to survive a disallowed goal and a shot that pinged off the cross bar from Oldham and some awful refereeing. The whole thing had either a loss or a nil - nil draw written all over it until the 90th minute and a goal mouth scramble resulted in a win for Rovers. Up to 10th and a game in hand on those around us.

Another one I didn't crawl out of bed for but sounded really convincing and that after the hosts actually started well; took the lead against the run then really took over and were three up at the half. Kane Wilson on fire for us at the moment and we seem to have goals of every sort. They pulled on back early second half but normal service was resumed and yet another killer cross meant a tap in to seal it. As was pointed out on our forum, only one player tonight not available to Cooper last season but the way Edwards has them playing is a revelation in contrast.

Started well, wobbled a bit then went behind to a cracking strike from distance but then upped a gear, level almost at once and lead 3-1 at the half. If we see this out we'll have a mad 46 points from 20, which is safety assured pretty much :D

Hah, spoke far too soon. Moore Taylor went off at HT for some reason and we've been wobbling at the back and it's now five five. Still time for a late winner an Oldham just as likely.

Jay Spearing scored a cracker of a goal to give us the win against Orient. For much of the first half we didn't have anything to counter their physicality and I had visions of us being punished like we had when we played them in the FA cup a couple of weeks ago.

Orient are having a curious season. Generally excellent and free-scoring at home (though, naturally, bogey side Crawley dicked us last week), we are struggling to get much away despite dominating play (see the Tranmere post ^). The season is in a danger of a mid-table fizzle if we don't sort that...

Had a good crowd turnout today to see us win 2 nil against Barrow. This takes us up to 3rd but with other teams not playing due to Covid etc. it is a bit of a false position.

So the Covid has now knocked on Tranmere's door and two matches have been cancelled, away to Hartlepool yesterday and away against Salford on New Years Day.

Blimey, a game of football, I remember those. COVID was kind and we were only missing two likely starters but still looked rusty first half after the long lay-off, then a really well worked goal seemed to quieten down Stevenage who'd been lively themselves if not spectacular and saw it out well adding another. On course for a hundred points if we keep this rate up, madness!

Back
Top Bottom