Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

League 2 (old Division 4) 2021/22

quiet guy

Bimbling along
So new season, this time with live fans - home and away - able to watch live games kicked off today.
My team, Tranmere, started off with a nice 1-0 win against Walsall and even had Mike Dean coming on as an emergency fourth official when the assistant ref had to leave the pitch. We have plenty of new faces along with a small contingent of retained players who are starting to gel together quicker than usual. Onwards and upwards.

So new season, this time with live fans - home and away - able to watch live games kicked off today.
My team, Tranmere, started off with a nice 1-0 win against Walsall and even had Mike Dean coming on as an emergency fourth official when the assistant ref had to leave the pitch. We have plenty of new faces along with a small contingent of retained players who are starting to gel together quicker than usual. Onwards and upwards.
Is Mike Dean a Tranmere fan?

Is Mike Dean a Tranmere fan?
Quite a regular there I believe.
We did OK and got a win against new boys Sutton without pulling up any trees. They sounded decent enough and got through on several occasions, including a goal for an ex-fan fave of ours, but that was as much down to a bit of wayward defending from us which is main current concern. Going forward Cadden excellent as last season and new lad Hendry great after slow start. Matt immense leading the line and we really need him to stay fit to challenge. Pissed down which further highlights our embarrassing facilities for away fans, one small bus stop otherwise no cover. Think they won't spend as they're waiting for the new wooden stadium to go up.

See Joey Barton's influence helped the Gas to a late red where the lad attempted assault on his oppo which the ref missed so he just did it again in full view from account I read.

I’ll be following Orient this season as an ”exile” after moving down to Pembrokeshire.

We’ve now got a manager who’s been around the block a bit (Kenny Jackett), who‘s got a couple of promotions on his CV, so we’re expecting to be troubling the business end of the table. Decent enough opening day draw at Salford to get us off the mark.

It’s still a bit of a faff to watch football down here (submitted medical questionnaires required to gain entry), but once (if?) it eases I’m likely to be popping over Haverfordwest County AFC for some Welsh Premier League action - which I imagine wiLO be equivalent to Step 2/3 standard. Intriguingly, the club is currently owned by an Os fan living down here too (not me)…

Bit of a billy bonus win on pens in the league cup against Brizzle City after scoring last gasp equaliser. Only heard second half thanks to babby waking me up in the wee smalls. We didn't sound too great tbh, final ball a bit lacking, but will surely help with momentum and earn some cash. Goal machine Matt had given us an early lead but missed that bit.

We lost to Oldham on penalties after ending all square at 2-2. Not too bothered by the league cup as we haven't really done anything with it since the 2000/01 season.

Walsall started well, we scored a bit against the run then they just seemed to fall apart and we were three up at the half. Continued much same second though they did manage the odd effort and got a late consolation. We could have had a couple more but understandably hung back a bit, ref was a bit card happy for us only first half (despite Labadie in their side) so no sense in pushing luck. Joey Barton's magic touch continues at the Gas.

We had a dire match at Port Vale. If we could win points from playing sideways then we'd be champions but unfortunately our new forward is shite. Can't trap the ball, can't head and obviously doesn't have a clue. Not sure what Mickey saw in him to sign him up. The ref was useless with the Vale players making the most of every challenge and tackle to feign injury.

Didn't make it up last night but sounds like we went ahead against the run of play, Dale levelled early second half and we went straight up the other end an got the lead back. Only dark spot an injury to one of our young defenders that had him stretchered off in a brace, hope it's worse than it looks. We were light at the back already quite apart from anything else.
Rob Edwards probably thinks this pro management lark is a doddle but while we're obviously doing OK it's not really that convincing yet, just lucky to have one of the better attackers at this level in Matt and Stevens also hitting his potential at last after being out on loan on Stevenage's subs bench for much of last season.

Hell of a game at TNL, we scored in fifty seconds, then Crawley were the better side and it finished 2-2 at the half. Cargill in for Dokes took a while to get up to speed and we were shaky at the back but Wilson and Cadden are immense going forward and our strikers are on fire, so we're now 5-2 up with about fifteen left. Rob Edwards really seems to have got them playing with confidence and weirdly they've yet to really play to their full potential this season.

Two down at the half against a well organised Vale, their fans are singing top of the league you're having a laugh. Really missing Cadden and Adams but we've been shaky at the back all season really and just not been caught out so early. Don't think we've registered a shot which was our saving grace previously. Bench paper thin too. Oh dear.

Didn't get any better, barely registered a shot. Vale really well organised and managed it out while looking more likely to extend their lead. Striers got no service with Cadden out and Allen not really stepping up in what's not his natural position. Match that exposed the weaknesses a bit of luck and good going forward has hidden in the earlier games.

God I hope Barton gets fired soon. Even if you disregard the fact he's a complete cunt, he's still got the worst managerial record in our history.

Lively game despite ending nil nil at SJP, thought we maybe had the better chances, certainly early doors and probably different story if one of them went in but Exeter neat and got through often enough themselves. Should probably be happy with the point but a bit of a disappointment, tho on other hand vastly improved performance from Vale last week.

Nicked a tight win against Northampton who've been the best defence to date. Dull scrappy first half, we improved second and were testing their keeper while they were getting up there without doing the same. Eventually Matt got a fee header he didn't even have to jump for, putting him on five for the season already. We can be shaky at the back but saw out the last fifteen relatively unpanicked. Back top and looking good without really firing on all cylinders yet.

We had a few chances that on other days would have gone in. But a combination of very poor line refereeing, referee inconsistency with bookings and then our defence giving the ball away led to a 1 - 0 loss against Rochdale. Joe Murphy took a hell of a clattering and had to be stretchered off with serious concussion but the stand in did well until the defence fuck-up.

Currently 3-0 up at Stevenage, who haven't been bad but we've been better. Pissing this tinpot league! :D Nicky Cadden must have more assists than anyone else in the division by some way.

Well, it's the big one quiet guy; you're pretty tight in defence and we've found our scoring boots so could go either way; be a good test for both of us after solid starts.

Unfortunately I'm missing this one. Will have to keep refreshing the score reports on it. On our form it could go either way as it all depends on whether our defence and midfield remember that they can pass forward and not just sideways and back to the goalie.🙄

Sounded like a cracking first half, think we were slightly on top but you came the closest hitting the post and it's the busiest our keeper's been all season.

Second half a little bit flatter then you got that second yellow. Was pleased Rob Edwards brought a striker on to try and take advantage but you hung in there well and shithoused just the right amount, draw sounded fair on balance of play. Wanky Salford look to have equalised late keeping our lead at the top four points too so not a bad day at the office.

It was my first rovers match in two years for me, as well as my first other rovers match ever.

It was a good day out, I liked the new lawn. Excellent view, I could nip out for a fag at half time and even the vegan burgers were alright.

The actual match had 0-0 all over it. I missed the opening two mins due to being given a ticket (from the box office) that they knew had been cancelled and they’d have to replace it. Best chances definitely went to fgr, our attacks never really felt like they had any teeth. Fortunately we have a cracking defence.

It was a good day out, I liked the new lawn. Excellent view, I could nip out for a fag at half time and even the vegan burgers were alright.
The away facilities really are an embarrassment but that long West Terrace is a great view and was the choice of many home fans if the weather was fine before it became the visitors' allocation. Food is also really good by football ground standards veggie or not though the fancier/healthier options are only available in the main stand hospitality bit.
Look like two teams who'll be challenging, if you can keep that defensive record and add something more upfront maybe January window you should be good. We've been lucky with how the new manager has worked out, always a gamble with a young new face, and we need to keep hold of Cadden and Wilson who are attracting higher league interest but it's been pleasing start for us, style enjoyable too.

Flynn leaving Newport all a bit odd, though read that something's not been right most of the season and he seemed to have been phoning it in, speculation they appointed a DoF over his head and he wasn't happy.

Deeply satisfying 2-0 away win at Carlisle who started a lot better than their league position suggests and were unbeaten at Brunton Park going in to it but we got on top in a ding-dong first half then managed it out really well second with barely a scare. Really encouraging in terms of the sort of performance that we see you through the season and what an excellent manager Edwards has been so far.

Back
Top Bottom