Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Lambeth Council elections 2022

I have been to a couple of hustings - although not in this current election and whilst I enjoyed the political theatre of it, I don't recall it changing my vote. The last Lambeth one I went to seemed primarily friends, family or supporters of the local Labour candidates and I suspect most of the rest of the small audience were similarly connected to the other candidates.

I can't see that it is a good investment of time for a candidate this close to election time, if it isn't likely to win them many votes. Presumably also there is a lot of preparation that goes into these things too. Surely that time would be better spent talking to voters on the doors.

I have been to a couple of hustings - although not in this current election and whilst I enjoyed the political theatre of it, I don't recall it changing my vote. The last Lambeth one I went to seemed primarily friends, family or supporters of the local Labour candidates and I suspect most of the rest of the small audience were similarly connected to the other candidates.

I can't see that it is a good investment of time for a candidate this close to election time, if it isn't likely to win them many votes. Presumably also there is a lot of preparation that goes into these things too. Surely that time would be better spent talking to voters on the doors.
I think hustings are only "useful" if a local community group wants to get hard public pledges from candidates on a contentious local issue.

That can cause problems as the sort of groups with the ability to organise hustings are sometimes those representing the most middle class and/or long-established historically privileged groups, wanting to "protect" their local amenity, regardless of other social benefits that might come from development.

More generally I agree, hustings tend to only be attended by the fan club for each party's candidate.

I think hustings are only "useful" if a local community group wants to get hard public pledges from candidates on a contentious local issue.

That can cause problems as the sort of groups with the ability to organise hustings are sometimes those representing the most middle class and/or long-established historically privileged groups, wanting to "protect" their local amenity, regardless of other social benefits that might come from development.

More generally I agree, hustings tend to only be attended by the fan club for each party's candidate.
Possibly. My appearance at the 2014 Coldharbour hustings was supposed to heighten awareness of the East Brixton station issue - which it did very slightly.
It earned me some drinks in the Beehive afterwards - mainly because the Karibu workers used to be regulars
Amazingly my election material is still not dead coldharbourrocks.

I was Googling the Lib Dem spokes at the council election hustings (Fareed Alderechi) and this came up

Three years ago - but what does it mean?
Was Fareed a Lib Dem when he wrote this? It describes "the Left's" solution to levelling up the north.
Not that there is anything anti Lib Dem in it - but the site in general is very anti Lib Dem.
So is Fareed a Corbynite who was driven into the Lib Dems by Kier Starmer?
It would be interesting to know.

I was Googling the Lib Dem spokes at the council election hustings (Fareed Alderechi) and this came up

Three years ago - but what does it mean?
Was Fareed a Lib Dem when he wrote this? It describes "the Left's" solution to levelling up the north.
Not that there is anything anti Lib Dem in it - but the site in general is very anti Lib Dem.
So is Fareed a Corbynite who was driven into the Lib Dems by Kier Starmer?
It would be interesting to know.

Actually reassures me he's an ex YF. I've never been a member but I know a few people who have been and it at least encourages young people to debate and get involved.

Reactions: CH1
Looking at Labour's website this morning, they have events today in Clapham Town x2, Brixton Acre Lane, Herne Hill and Loughborough Junction, and St Leonard's. Oh and they're being pushed to go to Croydon and Wandsworth.

Tomorrow is Oval, Streatham Hill West and Thornton, Waterloo and Southbank, Myatts Field, Vauxhall. Then to Westminster.

There's a load more events there for later in week too.

Greens, Tories and LDs do not seem to use their websites for event planning.

So I guess Lambeth Labour seem to think the Tories are a threat in Clapham Town?

I went to meet friends yesterday in Wandsworth and walked there and despite walking around for an hour or so I didn't see a single political sign. Now political signs are a poor indicator of political voting intention most of the time, but I had thought in a tightly fought place like Wandsworth they would at least have some. Part of that may be that I walked through Balham to Clapham Junction before heading further west and I suspect I may have walked through quite safe Tory wards.

I searched for stuff on the local elections the other day, on Twitter and this account or its supporters was all over the results
You’d think the fact that only a Reform party candidate is willing to engage with them would be a reason for concern…

You’d think the fact that only a Reform party candidate is willing to engage with them would be a reason for concern…

I think they are very well aware of what they are doing. I don't think it means much for this current election as it is next week but the next election could be swamped with this kind of tactic

I think they are very well aware of what they are doing. I don't think it means much for this current election as it is next week but the next election could be swamped with this kind of tactic

I see from Twitter they were leafletting outside a hustings in Herne Hill. Not clear if they were there because there was a trans candidate speaking or not but either way seems off.

I see from Twitter they were leafletting outside a hustings in Herne Hill. Not clear if they were there because there was a trans candidate speaking or not but either way seems off.
This I presume

If they do know what they’re doing I hope they realise the parties & people they’ll encourage couldn’t give a shit about women’s rights.

This I presume

If they do know what they’re doing I hope they realise the parties & people they’ll encourage couldn’t give a shit about women’s rights.

Indeed. Some of the groups that they are lining up with have pretty old fashioned /awful views on homosexuality too, which should be a red flag to anyone.

Looks like the Clapham Conservatives are getting very annoyed at the Clapham Libs. I guess the latter must be running them hard?

No surprise but seems Tim Briggs is spreading lies. Pretty sick as will be distressing to parents & pupils at the schools involved.

Update: response from one of the schools, horrible stuff.

B6071866-BA13-48EC-99CF-9D0D9A121B68.jpeg

Last edited:
So I think this is the list of wards where I am seeing/hearing signs of campaigning by more than one party, there are more that could be added if one includes places Labour seems to put a bit of effort in but no one else.

Clapham Abbeville, Clapham Town, Myatts Field, Waterloo and South Bank, Herne Hill and Loughborough Junction, Brixton North, Brixton Windrush, West Dulwich, Gipsy Hill, Streatham Wells, St Leonard's, Streatham Hill West and Thornton and Streatham Hill East.

Of that list presumably most are not genuine risks for Labour but it isn't quite clear to me exactly which are which.

Unfortunately I've got Covid so I can't turn out on Thursday to vote Green in the new Windrush ward. :(

Hope the Greens give horrible Progress Labour a good run right across the borough.

If you have access to a printer at home, and someone you can pass the paper to, you can in theory get someone else to cast a proxy vote if you get the paperwork in before 5pm on polling day. I think you need to call 020 7926 2254 to make an appointment for your proxy to get paperwork looked over.

Application to vote by emergency proxy in England based on COVID-19

Back
Top Bottom