Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Labours Broadband proposal...

Well yes but I'm not sure that's a bad thing though, their position on Brexit is indeed piss poor but they have some great, some good, some loopy and some bad ideas about other stuff as well. Even though Brexit is easily the most important issue of the day it's not the only one and I would kind of hope that Labour might try and win the election by focussing on the other issues.

Yeah, their other issues like banning private schools seems like a winner.

who remembers waiting months for the GPO to install a telephone line?
van.jpg
I used to drive one of those. And I had the course to climb poles but only did it for real about half a dozen times.

Yeah, their other issues like banning private schools seems like a winner.
well, yes, as long as they present it properly, and how exactly is free broadband for everyone such a bad idea, when the private sector has completely failed for so many years?

Fuck sake.

well, yes, as long as they present it properly, and how exactly is free broadband for everyone such a bad idea, when the private sector has completely failed for so many years?

Fuck sake.

:facepalm:

It’s not free broadband (ffs).

What?

They are planning to take-over the current Openreach network, with 32,000 employees and a promise of no job loses, expand it & make it free for everyone, wipe out the likes of Virgin & Cityfibre, taking on even more customers, yet reckon it'll cost 1/10th of the current costs - that's frankly fucking nuts. :D

* NB Openreach only operates & maintains the network, they also plan to take over other parts of BT, such as BT Retail, or whatever they call it this year, which brings even more costs.
It's a shame if they've got their numbers wrong, if they have - surprised tbh, they'll have paid someone to do numbers for them. But that isn't really the important point within a policy announcement like this. Universal provision by a state-owned provider is the most efficient, cheapest way to do it, and given that this is something nearly everyone is going to want, providing a thing nearly everyone is going to want in the cheapest way possible is actually the only sane way to think of providing it.

What?

They are planning to take-over the current Openreach network, with 32,000 employees and a promise of no job loses, expand it & make it free for everyone, wipe out the likes of Virgin & Cityfibre, taking on even more customers, yet reckon it'll cost 1/10th of the current costs - that's frankly fucking nuts. :D

* NB Openreach only operates & maintains the network, they also plan to take over other parts of BT, such as BT Retail, or whatever they call it this year, which brings even more costs.

Again, they said maintenance of the network. They didn't say "and the cost of running British Broadband will be £230 million" (or at least if they did, I didn't hear it).

Again, they said maintenance of the network. They didn't say "and the cost of running British Broadband will be £230 million" (or at least if they did, I didn't hear it).

From what I can find their costings are based on a report for the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport. None of the news sites I've glanced at seem to have read that report to the point where they've bothered to elaborate on it but presumably it's got some value to it. Certainly I didn't find anything in my quick search which gave any kind of detailed breakdown of costs either way - it just seems like random figures are being thrown out and weighted according to the publication. Some pushing the Tories estimate, others BT's, some, presumably, the report/Labour's. Although I didn't see any giving that primacy.

It's a shame if they've got their numbers wrong, if they have - surprised tbh, they'll have paid someone to do numbers for them. But that isn't really the important point within a policy announcement like this. Universal provision by a state-owned provider is the most efficient, cheapest way to do it, and given that this is something nearly everyone is going to want, providing a thing nearly everyone is going to want in the cheapest way possible is actually the only sane way to think of providing it.

Well they can't keep on 32,000 staff & maintain the network for £230m pa, unless they cut the staff salaries to around £3k a year.

As I said in my first post, I like the idea of providing a proper national network, but promising that for free is nuts, cheaper yes, but not free.

Water for free would seem well ahead of providing broadband for free.

Or, if there's a spare £2bn a year available, let's spend that on schools, the NHS & care services.

Well, I'm a taxpayer too. As a taxpayer I fund all sorts of stuff - the NHS, education, roads, the army - you know that sort of stuff. Broadband is important to this country's productivity, and society. The "private" sector has failed.
There's also a really sound business case to be made for infrastructure improvements like this, of course. Same goes for improving rail, etc. That's the thing about privatisation mania - it's really crap for capitalism ultimately.

You're not making any sense!

Maintenance of the network involves people to maintain it, currently 32,000.

Or, if there's a spare £2bn a year available, let's spend that on schools, the NHS & care services.
It's not either/or, though, is it? And schools, the NHS and care services would also benefit from improved infrastructure.

And that also misses the point about universal provision. Universal provision is the only way to ensure social justice in the distribution of modern infrastructure like this.

Universal provision, generally, has been under attack for decades. I welcome its return to the discussion beyond just schools and the NHS. We should be more ambitious than just wanting good, free schools and hospitals.

Well they can't keep on 32,000 staff & maintain the network for £230m pa, unless they cut the staff salaries to around £3k a year.

As I said in my first post, I like the idea of providing a proper national network, but promising that for free is nuts, cheaper yes, but not free.

Water for free would seem well ahead of providing broadband for free.

As said above the private sector has failed so please let us know how the staff will do under a disgraced Tory government

Right, so free broadband is more important than free water or free heating! :hmm:

FFS, get a grip you lot. :facepalm:

Back
Top Bottom