Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Labours Broadband proposal...

As far as engineers and actual tech workers go it could just mean more work given the scale of the potential roll out. I'd be surprised if people who actually know the industry were blind to the potential there.

Im just reporting on what I was told from someone who works for BT and this new Labour proposal has gone down like a lead balloon. Not the type of reaction Labour would want especially in a Labour heartland where I live.

Im just reporting on what I was told from someone who works for BT and this new Labour proposal has gone down like a lead balloon. Not the type of reaction Labour would want especially in a Labour heartland where I live either.
Ah, so not what you have been told, but what someone esle says they were told?

Someone told someone told you.

You sticking there, or was it perhaps someone told someone told someone told you?

who remembers waiting months for the GPO to install a telephone line?
van.jpg

Im just reporting on what I was told from someone who works for BT and this new Labour proposal has gone down like a lead balloon. Not the type of reaction Labour would want especially in a Labour heartland where I live.

What do they do for BT? Who else is in their WhatsApp group? Where in the Labour heartland are they? What's their wider financial situation, what wage are they on, do they invest money? Even taking your comment at face value it's still an irrelevant anecdote from the life of someone no one here knows nor has any particular reason to believe.

van.jpg

Took four months to get my phone lined fixed this year, couple of months seems quite preferable by comparison. As it turned out, according to the engineer, they had new and old gear at the exchange. If you weren't lucky then you'd be put on the old stuff, which cut out a lot on internet & phone calls. He got us switched over and suddenly it works.

Still no answer to the big question - Labour claims it'll only cost £230m pa to maintain the network, yet the actual figure is over £2bn, it's as if they missed a zero when putting the figures into their spreadsheet.

Still no answer to the big question - Labour claims it'll only cost £230m pa to maintain the network, yet the actual figure is over £2bn, it's as if they missed a zero when putting the figures into their spreadsheet.

Where's the 2bn figure come from?

That’s irrelevant- Labour are pledging free shit for all in hope it will detract from their position on Brexit.

van.jpg

My dad has been without a landline and with a BT supplied mobile and dongle for nearly two years now. Unfortunately the network they are with doesn’t cover his house, so he’s having to pay for a Vodaphone one too and claim the cost back from BT each month. So yeah, private companies, efficiency etc...

Not really - noone knows what the actual figure is, as the network doesn't yet exist.

They plan to take-over the Openreach network, with 32,000 employees costing £850m pa in wages, before you add in the costs of actually running the network, and associated costs like offices, vehicles, etc., etc.

Simple maths, that doesn't add-up to to £230m a year! :D

That’s irrelevant- Labour are pledging free shit for all in hope it will detract from their position on Brexit.

Labour have spent the last few years promoting policies beyond Brexit. If you imagine they're suddenly just using them as a distraction tactic then you're wrong. Sure, even if you want to criticise their Brexit policy it's a nonsense to say that their other focuses are based on distraction.

They plan to take-over the Openreach network, with 32,000 employees costing £850m pa in wages, before you add in the costs of actually running the network, and associated costs like offices, vehicles, etc., etc.

Where's that number coming from?

Not with the current network, no.

Well yes but I'm not sure that's a bad thing though, their position on Brexit is indeed piss poor but they have some great, some good, some loopy and some bad ideas about other stuff as well. Even though Brexit is easily the most important issue of the day it's not the only one and I would kind of hope that Labour might try and win the election by focussing on the other issues.

Not with the current network, no.

What?

They are planning to take-over the current Openreach network, with 32,000 employees and a promise of no job loses, expand it & make it free for everyone, wipe out the likes of Virgin & Cityfibre, taking on even more customers, yet reckon it'll cost 1/10th of the current costs - that's frankly fucking nuts. :D

* NB Openreach only operates & maintains the network, they also plan to take over other parts of BT, such as BT Retail, or whatever they call it this year, which brings even more costs.

Back
Top Bottom