Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Labours Broadband proposal...

Interesting perspective.

For the record, my (actual mate) is my mate - my girlfriend, she works for BT.
My actual mate is my actual mate. He's on the front line. He hates his job but loves the overtime. He wants this to happen. He works for Openreach, as does another of my mates, who also wants this to happen... they both love overtime.
Why does your mate not want this to happen?

why can't the left move that fucking Overton window as much as the right?
Important not to forget to demand the impossible.

Because the right are in power more frequently. The overton window moves in small steps but you need to be in power to do it.

The only bonkers thing is the lack of ambition; I'd like to see the LP proposing free public transport, dentistry, glasses, prescriptions etc. etc...why can't the left move that fucking Overton window as much as the right?
Important not to forget to demand the impossible.
Would love to see a nationalised car manufacturer doing solely electric vehicles to replace public transport and commercial fleets.

Free bikes would be my suggestion/addition to Corbynmas :thumbs:

If privatisation was always such a great option they would have privatised the pavements. There is little choice in broadband because once you have found a provider who works you are unwilling to enter the possible months of intermittent service that can be caused by moving to one who doesn't.

If privatisation was always such a great option they would have privatised the pavements. There is little choice in broadband because once you have found a provider who works you are unwilling to enter the possible months of intermittent service that can be caused by moving to one who doesn't.
It's like any utility. For those of us lucky enough to have a regular income, you just want a provider that works, for whom you can set up a standing order (or is it a direct debit? one of those anyway) and then just forget about it. Hence so many people don't have the cheapest rate for many of their utilities. Hopefully there are more interesting things to think about in life.

My actual mate is my actual mate. He's on the front line. He hates his job but loves the overtime. He wants this to happen. He works for Openreach, as does another of my mates, who also wants this to happen... they both love overtime.
Why does your mate not want this to happen?

From what I’ve seen of the BT discussion group, they think this will ultimately lead to job losses in the re-contracting sector as Jezza would be giving it away for ‘free’.

If that were true, then public sentiment about the acceptability of ideological policy position would never change enough to effect electoral change.
We still live in the shadow of Blair. He became a tory to win power, and it then seems to have become received wisdom that you had to tack yourself towards the party that beat you in the last election to win back power. Evidence from elections around the world shows that this is not necessarily true, and I genuinely believe that a reformist, genuinely leftist labour platform would have won in 97. Failure of those in power can shift the 'overton window' as well.

Anyway, this will be a fairly popular policy and a few more bits and pieces like this moves the focus from brexit brexit brexit to something broader. Next few weeks will be interesting.

For a bit of meaningless anecdotal stuff - if you look at the responses to Labour/Corbyn posts on Twitter the responses have gone from being 'What about Brexit?' to 'Fucking Communist' so, definitely shifting the focus.

Anyway, this will be a fairly popular policy and a few more bits and pieces like this moves the focus from brexit brexit brexit to something broader. Next few weeks will be interesting.
Meanwhile the tories are saying jack shit. They've got a real opportunity here, imo. I still want to hear a big roll out of the green new deal. I hope that is to come.

Meanwhile the tories are saying jack shit. They've got a real opportunity here, imo. I still want to hear a big roll out of the green new deal. I hope that is to come.
If labour have any sense they will have some big proposals for costs/provision of long term/later life care, state/public intervention to ensure larger numbers of better paid carers available, roll back changes to state pension age, end need to claim guarantee credit to top up state pension, stuff like that. Should do this anyway because it is right, but also because there is a clear lack of trust of labour in older voters. Also focus on childcare provision would be welcome.

If labour have any sense they will have some big proposals for costs/provision of long term/later life care, state/public intervention to ensure larger numbers of better paid carers available, roll back changes to state pension age, end need to claim guarantee credit to top up state pension, stuff like that. Should do this anyway because it is right, but also because there is a clear lack of trust of labour in older voters. Also focus on childcare provision would be welcome.
I agree with all that too. But this broadband thing and also a green new deal are ideas that show Labour to be the forward-thinking party. I think that's also hugely important. The tories have fuck all to say about anything. Labour can have them running around reacting to labour's ideas and ending up trying to ape the popular ones.

If that were true, then public sentiment about the acceptability of ideological policy position would never change enough to effect electoral change.

Fair point, but you can change legislation in power rather than just some people’s perception or beliefs.

I fail to see how that could possibly happen. If your company suddenly gets inundated with work, then how would that lead to job loses? (especially jobs that matter?)

Im just reporting chat from the BT trenches in a Labour heartland.

Make of it what you will.

For a bit of meaningless anecdotal stuff - if you look at the responses to Labour/Corbyn posts on Twitter the responses have gone from being 'What about Brexit?' to 'Fucking Communist' so, definitely shifting the focus.

:D

Wouldn't get too cheerful, the headbangers were replying with the same thing when he said fans should have a say in football clubs.

Again just from what I've seen but the criticism seems to be coming more and more from the right too, the piss diamond and FBPE brigade have faded away.

Wouldn't get too cheerful, the headbangers were replying with the same thing when he said fans should have a say in football clubs.

Again just from what I've seen but the criticism seems to be coming more and more from the right too, the piss diamond and FBPE brigade have faded away.

And with this level of social media commentary I should be getting a column in The Guardian and my own Patreon campaign at the very least.

I wasn’t smiling at your referral to Twitter abuse but your optimism that the abuse had changed focus away from Brexit.

I think this is a fucking brilliant idea. Tax those who are benefiting (financially) from 'the online'. Tax Amazon, Tax ebay, Tax everyone who (earns above a certain threshold and) uses the internet to make their fortune, and give the internet to everyone else for free.
What's not to like? It's fucking genius! (well, not genius, but it makes perfect sense).

Back
Top Bottom