Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Labour leadership

Can I have a full answer to the post where I asked you about Labour policy please? You can't just ask tonnes of 8 word questions and think you're contributing.

You are asking me to produce a full manifesto in about 30 minutes when most of the candidates haven't produced anything remotely as detailed, despite them being professional politicians...?

OK - if you don't support the party, then why do you care about the Labour leadership election, assuming that you do?
the party politics of this undemocratic system affects the lives of people I love and my own life. Being as we have little agencey within a system such as stands, not being p'd up courtroom dons like yourself. Also, its better than football.

OK - I'll just throw out a few troubling ones:

Leaving NATO

Getting rid of Trident

Ramping up public spending

Nationalisation (which, on a more technical level raises lots of EU issues around state aid and competition law)

I have different views on each of the above but there is clearly no majority public appetite for any of them.

He's made it clear he won't leave NATO so you can write that one off the list.

Getting rid of Trident is in a sense popular with a majority of the public, but most people want a cheaper nuclear weapons system, not to unilaterally disarm, and Corbyn's position is actually nuclear disarmament.

That's the only currently unpopular policy of those you've listed. Nationalisation of the industries he has talked about: energy, utilities and rail is overwhelmingly popular. "Ramping up public spending" is not a meaningful phrase.

Grow up and destroy the party that you favour by supporting a leader that will never, ever gain the benefit of election?

On current form, Labour are unlikely to be elected in 2020 or 2025, given the less-than-sparkling panoply of talentless opportunists and careerists in the Parliamentary ranks. Neither Cooper, Burnham nor Kendall have sufficient talent and gravitas to be anything beyond caretakers, and the likes of Umunna, Leslie or even Miliband. D promise nothing new, just the same old carefully-triangulated "neoliberalism" that Blair and Brown offered.
Could Corbyn win an election? Probably not. Is it possible he could energise the electorate more successfully than his party currently has, or the Tories have? Probably. Personally, I see an energised electorate rediscovering old solidarities as having a lot more social value than merely winning an election.

A positive step to what?

Poking a hole in the neo liberal consensus? Getting the possibility of something a bit different to 'let's piss on the poor' on the agenda? Actually debating what the public actually supports , like nationalising the railways? Actually forming an opposition to the tories rather than actively supporting every fucking thing they do? To name a few. Not being a psychic I can't say for sure but these are best guesses.

Losing honourably - the true British disease...?

You're completely deluded if you think that that is going to bring about any change whatsoever...

This isn't the Charge of the Light Brigade. It's modern politics.

I'll focus on now rather than five years time if it's all the same with you? Labour are meant to be the opposition, they haven't been that since the 2010 election. They might actually be one if Corbyn is elected in September. Then he'll have five years... Half a decade.. to set out his policies. I don't really care about the labour party but having someone with Corbyn's views consistently in the mainstream media is a step in the right direction. Seeing pretty much the entire establishment, including Labour, soil themselves on a daily basis just at the prospect of a Corbyn win is a positive step also.
It's not so much about the party, as about the possible re-emergence of some semblance of broadly-held "left" values that frightens "the establishment" IMO. Their discourse (neoliberalism, while indoctrinating people away from socially-protective and productive institutions and legislation) has been dominant for 4 decades, but that dominance is contingent on a broad acceptance of the discourse as "the only game in town". Corbyn, however mildly, is reminding people that it isn't.

There's a war criminal on some front pages today. He let banks run riot with the economy, mortgaged our public services to PFI spivs and wanted us all eye scanned and finger printed for a massive database. He led Labour to their first defeat in a generation.

The subject of his pontification: "Credibility".

What kind of "journalism" allows this to happen?

It's not so much about the party, as about the possible re-emergence of some semblance of broadly-held "left" values that frightens "the establishment" IMO. Their discourse (neoliberalism, while indoctrinating people away from socially-protective and productive institutions and legislation) has been dominant for 4 decades, but that dominance is contingent on a broad acceptance of the discourse as "the only game in town". Corbyn, however mildly, is reminding people that it isn't.

Yeah this is what I was trying to get at in my second response to numb nuts up there. It's somethin that resmbles left wing views and values. Having that in the media on a consisten basis if Corbyn wins is a good thing.

You're completely deluded if you think that that is going to bring about any change whatsoever...

More modern toss in your case.

Yeah no one really cares what you think. Keep supporting your low fat tories won't you? It really inspired people and worked so well in the last two elections didn't it?

Ok...explain to us how supporting a new labourite who believes in pretty much the same things and has pretty much the same policies, and exactly the same political ethos as the Tories can bring about change ?
Why is it change when the punter with the red rosette says and does the same stuff as the punter with the blue rosette ?

Jim Murphy used to come out with this stuff . Deluded ? He ended up doing a fair impression of hitlers last days in the bunker .

What you're talking about isn't modern politics . It's failed old hat from the late 1990s . A perceived wisdom that turned out to be a load of bollocks .

Modern "democratic" politics in the UK require legitimation - that is, "Parliamentary democracy" requires people to validate the system by exercising their franchise. Whether one acts instrumentally or altruistically, the number of people whose circumstances are affected positively by the system continues to decrease. We're still expected to pay the same dues, but for ever-decreasing services.

Given that Corbyn, in his hesitant, social-democratic way, is helping to highlight the inequality of (and inequity in) the social compact, why wouldn't that produce a degree of change? Unless one believes that the world is mostly populated by fools who will be eternally complicit in their own shafting, then change isn't just likely, but is unavoidable.

Seriously - what do people expect will happen when Corbyn gets in?

A Labour victory?

Can Corbyn really secure a Labour victory?

And if the answer to that is no, what can he achieve of any value?

Do you think that Corbyn could ever be elected as Prime Minister?
Do you think if one of the 3 other candidates don't beat Corbyn in the leadership election that would make them more likely to win a general election ? If they can't carry the majority in their own party, how the fuck could they win a general election?

Whatever happens - Corbyn is going to do very well in the leadership election , possibly winning it on 1st preferences - of course this might lead to all sorts of dark art shenanigans in the run up to 2020 - what it does prove, is that the party needs to shift to the left .

Do you think if one of the 3 other candidates don't beat Corbyn in the leadership election that would make them more likely to win a general election ? If they can't carry the majority in their own party, how the fuck could they win a general election?

Whatever happens - Corbyn is going to do very well in the leadership election , possibly winning it on 1st preferences - of course this might lead to all sorts of dark art shenanigans in the run up to 2020 - what it does prove, is that the party needs to shift to the left .

The field is admittedly tremendously poor - I think I've already said that on this thread.

400 years of complete and total imperial dominance suggests that 'losing honourably' is not a british disease. Winning viciously and through methods that make me sick? Yeah. That happened. Don't take it as an endorsment of such empire horrors, just pointing out that you are talking bollocks.

400 years of complete and total imperial dominance suggests that 'losing honourably' is not a british disease. Winning viciously and through methods that make me sick? Yeah. That happened. Don't take it as an endorsment of such empire horrors, just pointing out that you are talking bollocks.

Bloody hell - this is ridiculous!

Vote for Corbyn because of the British Empire!

Back
Top Bottom