Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Labour leadership

This is where Blairism has led, to delineate disabled and sick people from 'ordinary' people, they began this process, Blair with his speech about people on IB being layabouts, Blunkett's about watching day time TV all day, the ubiquitous "we are on to you" posters, at this time, the Tories were not attacking such, they opened Pandora's Box and now they can't close it.
you know the worst one with the 'we're onto you' ads treelover? the one that made me want to drown those bastards in a bath of piss? It's the one where they showed an obviously knackered character, a single mum, doing her ironing and then focused the gunsight in. What the actual fuck was that. These people have no shame, none at all. Proper cunts.

e2a it was to tell grownups they can't live together because of something. Thats how low they went. Barbed wire enemas I say

I've been saying it for weeks, they literally stood a semi educated Kate Burley for the leadership election and expected her to be the joke candidate while burnham and cooper acted the real battle. But o no! whats this! it looks like a man with a beard and a sense of what might be competent has swept in. Tears before bedtime.

Your 'Kay Burley with a degree' is genius - I've used it so often I definitely owe you a drink (always credited as 'some funny fucker on the internet called her')

Some good sense from YG's Anthony on Labour Leadership polling, especially the 2020 GE outcome polling.
Bottom line? There is no way of doing a simple poll that will give you a ready packaged answer as to how well or badly a potential party leader will do, and the things that Jeremy Corbyn’s detractors worry about are not things that are easily tested in a poll anyway. My own guess is that those who think Jeremy Corbyn would struggle electorally are correct, though it does depend on whether the Conservatives also pull themselves to shreds after the EU referendum. I am a little wary about arguments about parties not winning because they are too left or too right. While putting yourself broadly where most voters is sensible enough, those voters themselves don’t necessarily see things as ideologically left and right and specific policies aren’t really that important in driving votes. However, broad perceptions of a party, its perceived competence and the public’s views on how suitable its leader is to be Prime Minister are incredibly important. It will be an extremely hard task for Labour to succeed if it is seem as taking up a risky and radical route, if it’s trying to rebuild a lack of public confidence by selling an approach that is radically different from what a normally risk-averse public are used to, if it is seen as being riven by internal dissent and splits, if their leadership patently doesn’t have the support of its own MPs. Maybe he’ll surprise us, but I wouldn’t count on it.

I think that a lot of it will come down to how much momentum the idea of Labour under Corbyn being an insurgent party of protest can generate and who it appeals to. Can the 'left behind' UKIP voters be won back by (whatever degree of) left-wing Euroscepticism, nationalisations and anti-incumbent sentiment the is crucial question to ask.

Also, can Corbyn generate interest and votes amongst non-voters as the Nationalists have in Scotland?

Can all this electorialism translate into a social movement? Podemos in reverse, effectively, because it would have to.

I don't really see any of this happening but it will have to for Corbyn to hold on to the leadership let alone win an election.

you know the worst one with the 'we're onto you' ads treelover? the one that made me want to drown those bastards in a bath of piss? It's the one where they showed an obviously knackered character, a single mum, doing her ironing and then focused the gunsight in. What the actual fuck was that. These people have no shame, none at all. Proper cunts.

e2a it was to tell grownups they can't live together because of something. Thats how low they went. Barbed wire enemas I say

I should have mentioned it all began with Peter Lilley's 'little white list' but afaik, it did not include disabled and sick people, still disgusting.

Corbyn is also said to have been very close to the American polymath Mike Marqusee, who also had great influence on the MP’s thinking. Marqusee, a Marxist, was a founding member of the Stop the War coalition. He died in January this year. He chronicled Labour’s rightwing drift in a book co-authored with Richard Heffernan, Defeat from the Jaws of Victory (1992).

Good influence

off at a tangent ...Tiger tiger (the stars my destination ) Alfred Bester... was the first scifi book ... I remember reading ...made me a life long enthusiast for the genre .....
Stars_my_destination_masterworks.jpg

Corbyn could be a character straight out of a steam punk novel ...even the name ...!

he needs more tats

I prefer 'The Demolished Man' although everyone in the whole world disagrees. It just works so well to show how you really, really don't need or want to be in someone elses head. You just don't. There are unworthy thoughts and petty...you get the theme. Not only that you have the higher adepts of psi power running tings. Get to fuck.

I prefer 'The Demolished Man' although everyone in the whole world disagrees. It just works so well to show how you really, really don't need or want to be in someone elses head. You just don't. There are unworthy thoughts and petty...you get the theme. Not only that you have the higher adepts of psi power running tings. Get to fuck.
Ah, this must be who Bester in B5 is named after :cool:

Ah, this must be who Bester in B5 is named after :cool:
of course it is :D if you have the time and space to read Bester you'd really like it. He's old school SF so his gender politics may not quite stack up well to a modern eye but its still worth it

I should have mentioned it all began with Peter Lilley's 'little white list' but afaik, it did not include disabled and sick people, still disgusting.

Still disgusting all these years on. The allusion to men "screwing" women perhaps the low-point of a sickening low-point in the nation's political discourse. Gilbert and Sullivan - totally irrelevant to 90% of the public too. A symptom in itself of how detached the background a man like Lilley's is from normality.

Still disgusting all these years on. The allusion to men "screwing" women perhaps the low-point of a sickening low-point in the nation's political discourse. Gilbert and Sullivan - totally irrelevant to 90% of the public too. A symptom in itself of how detached the background a man like Lilley's is from normality.

Never seen this before. Makes me feel sick

A vivid, and pivotal, memory from my youth.

New nasty stuff, Tories planning 'boot camps for unemployed youth to end welfare culture', not sure what paper, was on Sky Papers,

Tessa Jowell described it as positive, lets hope JC speaks out.

New nasty stuff, Tories planning 'boot camps for unemployed youth to end welfare culture', not sure what paper, was on Sky Papers,

Tessa Jowell described it as positive, lets hope JC speaks out.

5 Minutes Googling tells me that there were 1.85 million unemployed people for the period of April-June this year, whereas from May-July there was 750,000 job vacancies available. Maybe maths isn't Tessa Jowell's strong point, but surely even she could have prepared a reasonable challenge to this sort of bollocks.

It amazes me how Labour consistently fail to challenge the Tory narrative even when there is an open goal to take advantage of. It's almost as if they don't want to challenge it. Almost as if they agree with the Tories. Who'd have thunk it?

I'm not sure about Jeremy Corbyn tbh - I like that he sticks to his principles and I agree with him on quite a few points, however leadership requires flexibility.

But all these attacks on him and moaning by the other candidates and their supporters, sounds like sour grapes. The other candidates have probably been jockeying themselves into position for years, doing and saying the 'right things' to make themselves into contenders, only to find themselves trailing someone who seemed to enter the contest on the spur of the moment and has been saying and doing the 'wrong things' for years. It must be like going to an exam to find that the topic is a completely different one to the one you had been told to study for.

As for his electability - I think the jury is still out. However I fail to see why anyone would think the other crop of candidates are more electable.

Back
Top Bottom