Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Labour leadership

Interesting thing about Brown's speech, he didn't once attack Corbyn's economic policies except perhaps in the most cryptic way. Further he refused to say that beating the Tories was the be all and end all - a bit of a slap in the face of Burnham/Cooper/Kendall. The focus was on Corbyn's foreign policy (not that he mentioned Corbyn by name). I think this is significant, I think this is how the right of the party will procede in its anti-Corbyn campaign.

"What I am here to say is that the best way of realising our high ideals is to show that we have an alternative in government that is credible, that is radical, and is electable..."

says ex PM who failed to get the party re-elected and wasn't considered credible by large chunks of the electorate in 2010

:facepalm:

"May you live in interesting times." Actually it's more of a curse than anything else, suggesting that it's more pleasant to live in uninteresting times. But as this Labour leadership contest alone proves, we certainly live in interesting ones.

"May you live in interesting times." Actually it's more of a curse than anything else, suggesting that it's more pleasant to live in uninteresting times. But as this Labour leadership contest alone proves, we certainly live in interesting ones.

It coms from a set of three increasingly grave curses:

May you live in interesting times.
May you come to the attention of those in authority.
May you find what you are looking for.

...they are sometimes called the 'Chinese curses' but nobody has much evidence that they came from China. IIRC they aren't used at all by the Chinese, only by westerners trying to appear deep by alluding to some piece of supposedly ancient Chinese wit.

TIGER, tiger, burning bright
In the forests of the night,
What immortal hand or eye
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

In what distant deeps or skies
Burnt the fire of thine eyes?
On what wings dare he aspire?
What the hand dare seize the fire?

And what shoulder and what art
Could twist the sinews of thy heart?
And when thy heart began to beat,
What dread hand and what dread feet?

What the hammer? what the chain?
In what furnace was thy brain?
What the anvil? What dread grasp
Dare its deadly terrors clasp?

When the stars threw down their spears,
And water'd heaven with their tears,
Did He smile His work to see?
Did He who made the lamb make thee?

Tiger, tiger, burning bright
In the forests of the night,
What immortal hand or eye
Dare frame thy fearful symmetry?

off at a tangent ...Tiger tiger (the stars my destination ) Alfred Bester... was the first scifi book ... I remember reading ...made me a life long enthusiast for the genre .....
Stars_my_destination_masterworks.jpg

Corbyn could be a character straight out of a steam punk novel ...even the name ...!

he needs more tats

In a cafe earlier and had a flick through the Mail On Sunday. Revelations from Corbyn's ex-wife:

1) During their marriage he was out every night doing politics stuff.
2) He's a strict vegetarian and isn't much interested in food.
3) Sometimes he'd open a tin of beans and eat them straight from the tin.

Obviously an utterly despicable character. :mad:

Didn't hear a word of Brown's intervention as I was in the pub for his sponsored pacing up and down. Assuming it was on the beeb, looked like 30 free minutes of anti-corbyn propaganda (presumable he's too aloof to actually come out in favour of one of the other 3).

Didn't hear a word of Brown's intervention as I was in the pub for his sponsored pacing up and down. Assuming it was on the beeb, looked like 30 free minutes of anti-corbyn propaganda (presumable he's too aloof to actually come out in favour of one of the other 3).

To be fair he had substance and outlined the New Labour outlook as being a continuation of Labour traditions in the advent of globalisation. I think it will backfire as it makes Kendall, Burnham and Cooper look utterly vacuous. I doubt they have even heard of Keir Hardie. Brown has a joined up political outlook, he even talks in full sentences. Whereas Liz Kendall earlier:
483957652-labour-party-leadership-candidate-liz-gettyimages.jpg

I'm just catching up on today's stuff; did she really say this?
Is that verbatim, or a paraphrase? If true, blimey.
I've been saying it for weeks, they literally stood a semi educated Kate Burley for the leadership election and expected her to be the joke candidate while burnham and cooper acted the real battle. But o no! whats this! it looks like a man with a beard and a sense of what might be competent has swept in. Tears before bedtime.

It's almost impossible to have as much hype behind you and do as badly as Kendall as done. Now she's crying about being bullied. It's all those horrid lefties fault.

I'm just catching up on today's stuff; did she really say this?
Is that verbatim, or a paraphrase? If true, blimey.

This is where Blairism has led, to delineate disabled and sick people from 'ordinary' people, they began this process, Blair with his speech about people on IB being layabouts, Blunkett's about watching day time TV all day, the ubiquitous "we are on to you" posters, at this time, the Tories were not attacking such, they opened Pandora's Box and now they can't close it.

There is a bloke who until recently, I’d never heard of. They made a film about him. He’s in a wheelchair bless him. Probably sponges off the tax payer. Stephen something. Turns out he came up with the singularity theory, and is considered one of our greatest scientific minds. Talks a bit odd, but that’s only because the bloody tax payer had to pay for some voice box thingamajig, so that we can understand the poor simple fool.

Is he one of “us”, or one of “them”?

Back
Top Bottom