Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Keir Starmer's time is up

'The north don't seem to trust Labour, what shall we do'
- oh, give them some flags, they love that kind of thing.

'Could we not start organising in communities, coming up with some policies around working class interests?'
- Nah, flags it is.

'Could we not start organising in communities, coming up with some policies around working class interests?'
- Nah, flags it is.
[A few months/years later]

"So, anyone got any ideas as to why everyone in the big cities stopped voting for us?"

[A few months/years later]

"So, anyone got any ideas as to why everyone in the big cities stopped voting for us?"

And everybody not of pensionable age.

This is so short sighted. Labour's surge of support in 2017 came from young people, and it's they who Labour should be focusing on now, not the kind of stupid old gammon who 'lent their vote' to 'Boris' in 2019. They'll all be dead in a decade.

I wonder just how they'll use veterans
Kneel on their necks until they complete the direct debit form.
Diabolical straw grabbing by Sir Keith Faker and his PR fools.
They’ll be celebrating Trafalgar Day next.
“We need inclusivity”
“Quick, get the flags out!”

And everybody not of pensionable age.

This is so short sighted. Labour's surge of support in 2017 came from young people, and it's they who Labour should be focusing on now, not the kind of stupid old gammon who 'lent their vote' to 'Boris' in 2019. They'll all be dead in a decade.

Every sentence you’ve written is wrong. Factually and politically. Well done.

Have to say that the concept of voters 'lending the tories their vote' isn't something I've seen supported very much by evidence. Personal experience and polling I've seen both suggest people who voted tory last time have remained tory on the whole.

The demographics are against the Tories!

How long have we being hearing this one. The evidence of the "youthquake" in 2017 is disputed at best. And then there is the politics of writing off people because of their age.

- Nah, flags it is.

Its not the policy as such that’s offensive. It’s the fact that it’s contrived and will be widely perceived as such.

You can’t fake a connection with ordinary communities. The concept of the nation state is important to most people, an embedded reality that continues to elude much of what passes for the left. But, as Wilf suggests, the way that any party that wants to deeply connect translates that is key. At this moment that practically means worked out plans to rebuild and invest in communities, it means a jobs plan targeted at these communities and most of all it’s clear signals that these communities are not forgotten. Starmer’s approach is both deeply cynical and, as a result, won’t generate any cut through. Piss poor

Last edited:
Its not the policy that’s offensive. It’s the fact that it’s contrived and will be widely perceived as such.

You can’t fake a connection with ordinary communities. The concept of the nation state is important to most people, an embedded reality that continues to elude much of what passes for the left. But, as Wilf suggests, the way that any party that wants to deeply connect translates that is key. At this moment that practically means worked out plans to rebuild and invest in communities, it means a jobs plan targeted at these communities and most of all it’s clear signals that these communities are not forgotten. Starmer’s approach is both deeply cynical and, as a result, won’t generate any cut through. Piss poor
I think the policy is offensive actually, and will be perceived as such by at least a section of Labour's existing and potential voting base.

The fact that they've chosen to lead with this rather than any hint of a policy which might improve people's material conditions is similarly offensive, it's an indication that they actually think this sort of bollocks is more important.

And I'm not convinced that it necessarily is contrived, tbh, I'm sure that at least some of them really believe in this sort of simplistic patriotism.

I think the policy is offensive actually, and will be perceived as such by at least a section of Labour's existing and potential voting base.

The fact that they've chosen to lead with this rather than any hint of a policy which might improve people's material conditions is similarly offensive, it's an indication that they actually think this sort of bollocks is more important.

And I'm not convinced that it necessarily is contrived, tbh, I'm sure that at least some of them really believe in this sort of simplistic patriotism.

We aren’t talking about flag waving patriotism, or at least I’m not. I’m talking about the existence, which I think is multigenerational to a greater extent than commonly recognised, that material conditions are intimately bound up and dependent on a strong and healthy nation state. Class gains in turn were popularly understood to strengthen the nation state and boundaries. You can overlay, and I think I’ve seen someone do this (Alistair Reid?), employment levels and wage gains ebb and flow directly in correlation to the broader economic performance of the state.

We can criticise this understanding, we can expose the lies and the oppression of others it was constructed upon. We can point out that there are no real shared interests, but to deny that this understanding exists or to pretend that’s it’s not the point where we have to start from would be a mistake.

ETA: the leaked document doesn’t engage with any of that. Instead, it does seem to suggest that waving the flag is all that’s required. It reveals a deep misunderstanding of the processes at work

It is cynical, and it is contrived, and I rather doubt it will have any immediate impact, but on the other hand it does appear that this Politics 101 - Hard of Thinking Edition may be actually necessary for the LP.

Can I ask the assembled political geniuses how they think this
Dn8xtvQX0AAwgZu-1280x640.jpg
goes down amongst the electorate, what at the exact same time, the exact same people get their collective knickers in a twist about Sir Keith standing next to a Union Flag?

Do any of the spectacular tacticians genuinely beleive that when the electorate in Hull, or Bolton, or Sunderland, or West Bromwich - or indeed South Gloucestershire - see that juxtaposition, their gut reaction is 'Labour is us...'?

wrapping itself in the flag will not make Labours long and complex 'to do' list go away, but a deep feeling amongst large sections of its potential votes that 'Labour' is far more comfortable waving Palestinian, or Venezuelan flags than being seen next to their own harms them, and in a post-referendum, identity driven politics, it will harm them more.

We aren’t talking about flag waving patriotism, or at least I’m not. I’m talking about the existence, which I think is multigenerational to a greater extent than commonly recognised, that material conditions are intimately bound up and dependent on a strong and healthy nation state. Class gains in turn were popularly understood to strengthen the nation state and boundaries. You can overlay, and I think I’ve seen someone do this (Alistair Reid?), employment levels and wage gains ebb and flow directly in correlation to the broader economic performance of the state.

We can criticise this understanding, we can expose the lies and the oppression of others it was constructed upon. We can point out that there are no real shared interests, but to deny that this understanding exists or to pretend that’s it’s not the point where we have to start from would be a mistake.

ETA: the leaked document doesn’t engage with any of that. Instead, it does seem to suggest that waving the flag is all that’s required. It reveals a deep misunderstanding of the processes at work
I suspect that the brand agency to which Starmer has turned for this re-branding advice have based the guff sold on the sort of liberal identity segmentation presented in Maria Sobolewska and Robert Ford’s Brexitland as reviewed by Will Davies in the LRB:

At the core of their analysis is a typology of three different identities, each defined by their orientation to nation and ethnicity.

The first is ‘conviction liberals’, a group which sees ethnic diversity as a good in its own right, to be assertively defended.

The second type is ‘necessity liberals’ – that is, the members of ethnic minorities themselves. In Sobolewska and Ford’s analysis, the liberalism of ethnic minorities was born more out of self-interest and self-defence than out of education or ideology. At least on the issue of anti-racism, they became allies of ‘conviction liberals’ and tended to support Labour.

The third identity type, which has lost its position of dominance as the other two have increased in number, is ‘identity conservatives’, largely made up of white school-leavers without a university education. While the expression of unambiguously racist views has become largely taboo since the 1980s, this group retains what Sobolewska and Ford refer to as ‘ethnocentric’ attitudes, in which British ancestry and respect for British customs and traditions are essential features of ‘really’ being British.

Looks like the brand agency has told Starmer to take for granted huge sections of his party's core and go all out to symbolically appeal to the 'identity conservatives'.

It is cynical, and it is contrived, and I rather doubt it will have any immediate impact, but on the other hand it does appear that this Politics 101 - Hard of Thinking Edition may be actually necessary for the LP.

View attachment 252553
goes down amongst the electorate, what at the exact same time, the exact same people get their collective knickers in a twist about Sir Keith standing next to a Union Flag?

Do any of the spectacular tacticians genuinely beleive that when the electorate in Hull, or Bolton, or Sunderland, or West Bromwich - or indeed South Gloucestershire - see that juxtaposition, their gut reaction is 'Labour is us...'?

wrapping itself in the flag will not make Labours long and complex 'to do' list go away, but a deep feeling amongst large sections of its potential votes that 'Labour' is far more comfortable waving Palestinian, or Venezuelan flags than being seen next to their own harms them, and in a post-referendum, identity driven politics, it will harm them more.
Is that stuff going to stop under Starmer though? Can't see it - it's the activists who do all that stuff, and whatever silly strategy documents the leadership commission the activists will carry on draping themselves in the flag of Palestine for The Sun to photograph.

I'm interested in the idea that the electorate will see a Labour pivot to flags 'n' soldiers as contrived when the equally contrived use of those tropes by the tories (and by Labour leaderships of the past) is seen by the same people as authentic - whats the difference?

Have to say that the concept of voters 'lending the tories their vote' isn't something I've seen supported very much by evidence. Personal experience and polling I've seen both suggest people who voted tory last time have remained tory on the whole.

Re The Red Wall I saw these the other day, shows some key seats and how Labour have been slowly deflating over the last 70 years, other than Blair in 97 and Corbyn in 2017

EtE7WagW8AIdwIj

EtE7y8jXIAApGmQ

EtE8F_hXIAI2ZPd

EtE8ky4XIAMPygR

EtE9INHXMAg4EBt

Its an oversimplification from stats but the suggestion being that Labour is in long slow terminal decline in these areas...which begs the question why.

The idea that there aren't enough flags and veterans involved is the crassest reading, only possible by outsiders. Its like anthropologists in the Victorian era making bad assumptions about some far away tribe.
For me it boils down to that this Labour lot fear the British public (working class and beyond) and have to ask others What are they like.

Blair was a public school boy but I think he was genuinely comfortable with the flags and the army and with people in general.
Corbyn is absolutely happiest as a constituency MP, caring and helping the great british public. A bit awk with the military bit cos imperialism, but even that wasnt enough to stop him get a massive boost in support.
Starmer is absolutely happiest at a heads of police gala dinner.

What Labour "need to do" is not be led by professional snobs. Everyone can tell - you cant hide these things.
Even Boris Johnson is less of a snob than Labour HQ.

This might just be the defining moment in Labour politics of my lifetime:
ETA: and following that she was being seriously talked about as a future leader

Last edited:

View attachment 252553

The British flag and the Palestinian flag are not equal - Palestine is wiped off the map and its people living in open air concentration camps
False equivalence

View attachment 252553

I think a party at ease with itself doesn't need to wrap itself in the national flag.

I'm interested in the idea that the electorate will see a Labour pivot to flags 'n' soldiers as contrived when the equally contrived use of those tropes by the tories (and by Labour leaderships of the past) is seen by the same people as authentic - whats the difference?
Tories have deep historic and authentic pro-military (imperialist) ties and view of history. People understand that innately.

Squaring the issue of Labours relationship to the military is best done somewhat like Trump did: "I will not let you be sent into unnecessary wars. Veterans don't get enough support". Job done. Show you actually care about the people doing the job, and their families.

Re The Red Wall I saw these the other day, shows some key seats and how Labour have been slowly deflating over the last 70 years, other than Blair in 97 and Corbyn in 2017

EtE7WagW8AIdwIj

EtE7y8jXIAApGmQ

EtE8F_hXIAI2ZPd

EtE8ky4XIAMPygR

EtE9INHXMAg4EBt

Its an oversimplification from stats but the suggestion being that Labour is in long slow terminal decline in these areas...which begs the question why.

The idea that there aren't enough flags and veterans involved is the crassest reading, only possible by outsiders. Its like anthropologists in the Victorian era making bad assumptions about some far away tribe.
For me it boils down to that this Labour lot fear the British public (working class and beyond) and have to ask others What are they like.

Blair was a public school boy but I think he was genuinely comfortable with the flags and the army and with people in general.
Corbyn is absolutely happiest as a constituency MP, caring and helping the great british public. A bit awk with the military bit cos imperialism, but even that wasnt enough to see a boost in support.
Starmer is absolutely happiest at a heads of police gala dinner.

What Labour "need to do" is not be led by professional snobs. Everyone can tell - you cant hide these things.
Even Boris Johnson is less of a snob than Labour HQ.

This might just be the defining moment in Labour politics of my lifetime:
They're places with an older demographic whose younger people have fucked off to the cities for work and those left behind are older home owning pensioners. It's not really that deep or hard to understand.

Ed Miliband's report into the election defeat picked up on the slow decline of the Labour vote over the previous quarter century in many of those areas but it's far easier for the leadership to point the finger at Corbyn and wave a flag instead rather than do the hard yards

Its disingenuous because Corbyn did really well, but like medieval Christians learning the earth goes round the sun they refuse to fucking hear it the cunts, i'm so sick of the sight of them
Corbyn derangement syndrome is real. Prevents anyone from a good faith assessment of the pros and cons of the period and leads to a determination to scrub the party clean of any trace of the era. Upshot is that in places like Bristol, as I've said in the last day or so, they're busy suspending all their young, imaginative campaigners who've built networks across the city in housing/food campaigns and will probably lose seats to the Greens as a result. But at least they'll have their party back

I think a party at ease with itself doesn't need to wrap itself in the national flag.

You hit the main on the head, but from the wrong direction.

The party only needs to be seen to wrap itself in the flag because it's pretty obvious to all that the party is not at ease with the country/nation/society it serves and seeks to represent. It's pretty obvious that large parts of the party, both politicians and activist, have little but utter contempt and bewilderment for large slices of its professed electorate and target audience; they are thought, thick, racist, with nowhere else to go, dreadful little Englanders.

While that may always have been so, it has become a problem the party has to address because because it's all become very public.

You hit the main on the head, but from the wrong direction.

The party only needs to be seen to wrap itself in the flag because it's pretty obvious to all that the party is not at ease with the country/nation/society it serves and seeks to represent. It's pretty obvious that large parts of the party, both politicians and activist, have little but utter contempt and bewilderment for large slices of its professed electorate and target audience; they are thought, thick, racist, with nowhere else to go, dreadful little Englanders.

While that may always have been so, it has become a problem the party has to address because because it's all become very public.
Tbh the problem the labour party is really ducking away from is it has no politics

Back
Top Bottom