Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Keir Starmer's time is up

Pensioners are ranked E. Skilled manual C2.

Meanwhile get a job in a call centre and you're a C1 and middle class baby
My last job was ambulance dispatch so "supervisory or clerical" I guess. C1, middle class, 21k a year

Meanwhile a plumber or sparks on multiple times that is C2, skilled manual, salt of the earth w/c.

It's rubbish

I thought this wasn't true and they're actually ranked whatever their last job was?
Possibly, but the rest is def still nonsense

And even if they're ranked as their last job, see other categories for why this is completely misleading in terms of economic clout

Actual working class voters? Because the NRS socio-economic grades are bollocks and have been for a long while
I agree they're not the best however do you think an alternative categorisation would show something substantially different ?

Possibly, but the rest is def still nonsense
Its a fairly significant thing to get wrong though.

I do agree there's some big issues with how the working class is defined: on that thread about why middle class people pretend to be working class the starting premise was that the working class now make up only 30% of the population, and toilet level clerical jobs were somewhere handwavy off to one side.

I agree they're not the best however do you think an alternative categorisation would show something substantially different ?
I do because (see killer b's post below)

I'm always seeing chat about how m/c the young urban graduate supporters of Corbyn are/were and tbh, I'm seeing a bunch of heavily indebted people in nonsense clerical jobs after being herded through university, handing vast portions of their income to landlords to live in shitty houseshares.

Or me, other side of 40, earning a shade over 20k in a city where that gets me nowhere to do a job that makes me middle class apparently.

The categorisations are so out of whack they're just not useful any more, sorry

Its a fairly significant thing to get wrong though.
See edit. Not as wrong as all that given that this would mean doing a well paid skilled job, retiring as a home owning pensioner on a good income and being forever working class. Just not useful imo

See edit. Not as wrong as all that given that this would mean doing a well paid skilled job, retiring as a home owning pensioner on a good income and being forever working class. Just not useful imo
It was wrong, and I find it hard to believe you didn't know it was wrong when you said it, as its been debunked countless times here and elsewhere whenever people try to push it.

Funnily enough, voting is tied to class consciousness as opposed to an academics notion of what class you belong to.

"Digging deeper still reveals that in terms of the left-wing vote, Britons have much more similar voting behaviour to those in a different NRS grade but who share the same class identity as they do than with those in the same NRS grade but have a different class identity.

For instance, among ABC1s who describe themselves as middle class people, 25% intend to vote Labour and 23% Lib Dem. This is much more similar to how C2DE middle class people intend to vote (21% Labour, 20% Lib Dem) than it is to how ABC1 working class people intend to vote (31% Labour, 10% Lib Dem).

Digging deeper still reveals that in terms of the left-wing vote, Britons have much more similar voting behaviour to those in a different NRS grade but who share the same class identity as they do than with those in the same NRS grade but have a different class identity.

For instance, among ABC1s who describe themselves as middle class people, 25% intend to vote Labour and 23% Lib Dem. This is much more similar to how C2DE middle class people intend to vote (21% Labour, 20% Lib Dem) than it is to how ABC1 working class people intend to vote (31% Labour, 10% Lib Dem)."

They also addressed the pensioner question - on which both the above comments are not quite right.

"In fact, retired people are only classified as E if they subsist only on the state pension – if they have any other form of pension they are graded based on their previous occupation.

As such, retired people are present in all NRS grades. Although they are most likely to be found in grade E, at 35% this means that fully two thirds of retired people occupy different NRS grades."

So that's about double the number of the working members of grade E. (edit: probably even higher as DE only make up 20% of the population in total)

Last edited:
It was wrong, and I find it hard to believe you didn't know it was wrong when you said it, as its been debunked countless times here and elsewhere whenever people try to push it.
Jesus Christ you don't get any more fun as time goes by. Just try and be nice, you genuinely make this place hard work to be on

Funnily enough, voting is tied to class consciousness as opposed to an academics notion of what class you belong to.

"Digging deeper still reveals that in terms of the left-wing vote, Britons have much more similar voting behaviour to those in a different NRS grade but who share the same class identity as they do than with those in the same NRS grade but have a different class identity.

For instance, among ABC1s who describe themselves as middle class people, 25% intend to vote Labour and 23% Lib Dem. This is much more similar to how C2DE middle class people intend to vote (21% Labour, 20% Lib Dem) than it is to how ABC1 working class people intend to vote (31% Labour, 10% Lib Dem).

Digging deeper still reveals that in terms of the left-wing vote, Britons have much more similar voting behaviour to those in a different NRS grade but who share the same class identity as they do than with those in the same NRS grade but have a different class identity.

For instance, among ABC1s who describe themselves as middle class people, 25% intend to vote Labour and 23% Lib Dem. This is much more similar to how C2DE middle class people intend to vote (21% Labour, 20% Lib Dem) than it is to how ABC1 working class people intend to vote (31% Labour, 10% Lib Dem)."

They also addressed the pensioner question - on which both the above comments are not quite right.

"In fact, retired people are only classified as E if they subsist only on the state pension – if they have any other form of pension they are graded based on their previous occupation.

As such, retired people are present in all NRS grades. Although they are most likely to be found in grade E, at 35% this means that fully two thirds of retired people occupy different NRS grades."

So that's about double the number of the working members of grade E.

Thanks for that, genuinely interesting and worth taking the trouble to post. Helpful :)

How many people from middle and upper class jobs since retirement subsist only on the state pension though? I think it's probably reasonable to assume close to 100% of pensioners on state-only pension were working class in their working life.

I had an email from Lisa Nandy last week saying how fantastic everything in the world is going to be now Joe Biden is in the White House. Join the Labour Party now, good times ahead!
I haven't heard anything from them since I ceased membership - I did tick the box saying I did not want to receive emails.

How many people from middle and upper class jobs since retirement subsist only on the state pension though? I think it's probably reasonable to assume close to 100% of pensioners on state-only pension were working class in their working life.
depends what you mean by middle and upper-class jobs, though, doesnt it? As we are discussing, many people place themselves in a class that is different from their grade. And many of these 'middle-class' jobs wont have much of a pension, especially true for those who were self-employed.

And, more centrally, just about everyone agrees that age is also an important factor in voting, which skewed overwhelmingly Labour when younger and Tory when older. So an 'excess' of elderly people in a social grade are going to bias that whole social grade inevitably and not just by taking people from the next band up.

Actual working class voters? Because the NRS socio-economic grades are bollocks and have been for a long while

This is always the line when someone points out that Labour is losing support among the working class. Given that the NRS definitions are contested two thoughts occur: 1. Is anyone suggesting that Labour is still popular among working class voters? If so on what evidence and 2. What evidence is there that Labour’s support isn’t diminished among working class voters?

This is always the line when someone points out that Labour is losing support among the working class. Given that the NRS definitions are contested two thoughts occur: 1. Is anyone suggesting that Labour is still popular among working class voters? If so on what evidence and 2. What evidence is there that Labour’s support isn’t diminished among working class voters?
the evidence posted above

the evidence posted above

How does the evidence posted above show that Labour is popular among self identified working class voters? Or that Labour’s support isn’t diminished among working class voters?

The evidence (if this is what you are referring to) indicates that even where self identification of class is factored in that Labour is relatively unpopular among working class voters regardless of NRS classification).

Vote%20by%20class%20and%20NRS%20current%20VI-01.png

Last edited:
^ aren't C2 and D Working Class by the NRS categtories? Maybe the ''working class'' line there means ''self-identifying working class'' or sth.

It shows that people who identify as w-c are more likely to vote Labour than those in the supposedly appropriate categories.

Given that the poll was taken in late 2019 when Labour were tanking at the polls it is hardly surprising that Labour are behind in all categories - tho notably less so amongst those who consider themselves working-class.

Well, it does, maybe not the way you'd like, but hey ho.

Labour is not popular amongst older people.

I haven't heard anything from them since I ceased membership - I did tick the box saying I did not want to receive emails.
It’s obviously something I omitted to do since I was in touch with my MP over a campaign I was supporting through Unite. I also get similar ones from the Cooperative Party. Still it’s nice to know what they are up to.

Back
Top Bottom