Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Keir Starmer's time is up

The Labour Party isn't a safe space for people of colour or left-wing Jews, but I don't suppose that bothers you too much, eh? Are you happy with the hierarchy of racism? You must be.
On that note, just remembered that my dad (who fwiw is much more involved in "community life" than I am, the sort of person who's so madly observant that he doesn't just go to his own shul but also goes to other denomination's shuls when they need help making up the minyan) finally resigned from the Labour Party under Starmer's leadership in 2022. He had been assuming that, as a left-wing Jew, he'd get expelled sooner or later anyway, but the breaking point for him came when Sam Tarry got sacked as shadow transport minister for supporting a RMT picket. Which is just anecdata, but I suppose certainly goes to show that Labour isn't a safe space for Jews who think the Labour Party should represent the interests of workers.

Anyway, was mostly coming on this thread to check if anyone had posted this fantastic bit from a "Keir Stamrer's most personal interview yet"?

Ready? He folds his arms across his chest. “Yes, by all means.”

But then he can’t really say if he’s strictly an optimist or a pessimist and, no, doesn’t know if he’s an extrovert or an introvert, either. “I’ve never really thought about it. I don’t know what that tells you.” He doesn’t know what he dreamed last night – or ever: “I don’t dream.” Just hits the pillow at 11 and – “bang” – is out till around 5. He doesn’t have a favourite novel or poem, wasn’t scared of anything as a child. “Nothing. No phobias.” Hmmm, this is harder than I thought. What about his lovely heather-coloured tie, where is it from and who chose it? He takes it between finger and thumb. “Would you say heather? I had it down as slightly darker.”

On that note, just remembered that my dad (who fwiw is much more involved in "community life" than I am, the sort of person who's so madly observant that he doesn't just go to his own shul but also goes to other denomination's shuls when they need help making up the minyan) finally resigned from the Labour Party under Starmer's leadership in 2022. He had been assuming that, as a left-wing Jew, he'd get expelled sooner or later anyway, but the breaking point for him came when Sam Tarry got sacked as shadow transport minister for supporting a RMT picket. Which is just anecdata, but I suppose certainly goes to show that Labour isn't a safe space for Jews who think the Labour Party should represent the interests of workers.

Anyway, was mostly coming on this thread to check if anyone had posted this fantastic bit from a "Keir Stamrer's most personal interview yet"?
That article from labourlist says that Sam wasn't sacked for picketing

Well looks like the man with almost no inner life gets to sit in the big chair now. Maybe this bit of power, this position will be the one that finally fills the howling void.

That article from labourlist says that Sam wasn't sacked for picketing
Oh, just done a bit of digging and found it was all covered earlier on the thread, here:
Left-wing supporters of Mr Tarry say the Labour leader fired him for joining striking rail workers on a picket line.

Mr Tarry himself says he was expressing "solidarity" with workers.

The BBC understands Sir Keir objected to an interview Mr Tarry gave to Sky News in which he said workers should get pay rises in line with inflation.

Labour's policy is that there should be "fair" rises through negotiation.

Mr Tarry's allies say many Labour-supporting unions back him and have expressed concern at his sacking.

Sharon Graham, leader of the Unite Union, which has more than a million members, said Labour was "becoming more and more irrelevant to ordinary working people".

And speaking to the BBC, veteran Labour left-winger Diane Abbott pointed out that, unlike Mr Tarry, shadow chancellor Rachel Reeves had not been sacked for "making up policy on the hoof".

Earlier this week, Ms Reeves gave an interview in which she said the party no longer backed renationalising the railways. Labour later clarified that renationalisation remained its policy.

Ms Abbott argued that Mr Tarry was being unfairly treated, adding: "Everybody knows Sam Tarry wasn't sacked for interviews, he was sacked for going on a picket line.

"We are the Labour Party, the clue is in the name, we were set up by the trade unions - to penalise people, shadow ministers, for actually showing solidarity with the trade unions is wrong."

In your own words, what would you say he was sacked for?
What do my words matter? I'm simply telling you what the article says.

A Labour Party spokesperson said: “This isn’t about appearing on a picket line. Members of the frontbench sign up to collective responsibility. That includes media appearances being approved and speaking to agreed frontbench positions.

“As a government in waiting, any breach of collective responsibility is taken extremely seriously and for these reasons Sam Tarry has been removed from the frontbench.”

LabourList understands that Labour frontbenchers were not told to stay away from picket lines today, as they had been ahead of the last set of RMT strikes, but Keir Starmer said on Tuesday: “The Labour Party in opposition needs to be the Labour Party in power. And a government doesn’t go on picket lines.”
Now you could make the claim that they aren't being honest here. Which is fine, but the article quoting the claim doesn't quote the claim

Now you could make the claim that they aren't being honest here. Which is fine, but the article quoting the claim doesn't quote the claim

The quote from Starmer

“The Labour Party in opposition needs to be the Labour Party in power. And a government doesn’t go on picket lines.”

makes it pretty clear that, however much the spokesperson tries to deny it, going on the picket line was at least part of the reason he was sacked.

Your words matter because I'm trying to work out what you actually think. What do you think the reason for Sam Tarry's sacking was? I mean, if we're arguing about what the article says, I think there's a clue in the first sentence:
Sam Tarry has been removed from his role as a shadow transport minister after the Labour MP joined members of the National Union of Rail, Maritime and Transport Workers (RMT) on a rail strike picket line earlier today.
I suppose you could argue that correlation does not equal causation, but I think the headline and first sentence of that article are both strongly implying causation there.

Your words matter because I'm trying to work out what you actually think. What do you think the reason for Sam Tarry's sacking was? I mean, if we're arguing about what the article says, I think there's a clue in the first sentence:

I suppose you could argue that correlation does not equal causation, but I think the headline and first sentence of that article are both strongly implying causation there.
I wasn't offering an opinion. It is possible starmer genuinely sacked tarry for picketing and is lying, or that he isn't. There;s no way to know for sure. All we can do is accurately report what was has been said and draw our own conclusions. But if we are going to be critical, then we need to be accurate about it

I wasn't offering an opinion. It is possible starmer genuinely sacked tarry for picketing and is lying, or that he isn't. There;s no way to know for sure. All we can do is accurately report what was has been said and draw our own conclusions. But if we are going to be critical, then we need to be accurate about it
What do you think the reason Starmer sacked Sam Tarry is? What, in your own words, is the reason offered for the sacking of Tarry?

There are many ways to be sure. The most obvious is you could email shammer and ask. Or tarry. It's a good thing you weren't offering an opinion as so few of the opinions you share are worth the pixels you express them in

The next line… “He will be more relaxed and expansive in our second interview a week later”

There are many ways to be sure. The most obvious is you could email shammer and ask. Or tarry. It's a good thing you weren't offering an opinion as so few of the opinions you share are worth the pixels you express them in
The thing that winds me up is that they are expressing an opinion, because any interpretation of a text is an opinion. In this particular instance, I think it's an opinion, and one that can be contested, that the sentence "Sam Tarry has been removed from his role as a shadow transport minister after the Labour MP joined members of the National Union of Rail, Maritime and Transport Workers (RMT) on a rail strike picket line earlier today." is not suggesting a causual link between one of those facts and the other.
The next line… “He will be more relaxed and expansive in our second interview a week later”
Yep, the second interview has some gems as well: "I say, because on his face was a genuine expression of bemusement when I asked about his emotional inner life, that I’m guessing he never did therapy. “No, no,” he says. “No.” Then “No” again in a lower tone bordering on horror."
I mean, I think therapy is over-rated in some ways, there's a lot to be said about who gets access to therapy and who doesn't, but "no, no, no" is definitely a pretty funny answer to that particular question.

But was he a toolmaker?

I'm not listening to an 80-minute podcast about Starmer, but fair play, "PM Dawn" is a pretty good title there.

Yesterday's observer had a puff piece about the Mates of Kier who, we're assured, are not just about the power game.

Their evidence for this was K's mate Colin, who apart from university has never lived less than 15 minutes away from him.

I'm sure there's a perfectly rational explanation for this one.

Yesterday's observer had a puff piece about the Mates of Kier who, we're assured, are not just about the power game.

Their evidence for this was K's mate Colin, who apart from university has never lived less than 15 minutes away from him.

I'm sure there's a perfectly rational explanation for this one.

Colin who used to work at Procter and Gamble according to Starmer's biographer Tom Baldwin. Now Group Strategic Coordinatorfor ECR Retail Loss- 'Enabling the retail sector to sell more and lose less'

1720429731116.png

Back
Top Bottom