Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Keir Starmer's time is up

Labour Party in government.
Ah. I thought that was it, then I saw it was posted just after a post about Farage.

Yeah, me too. It is Blair Mark 2. Inviting big business to take over services, increasing inequality, benefits bashing, foreigner bashing, union bashing, authoritarian streak at home and fuck knows what shit in terms of foreign policy.

It's a weird feeling. The tories have just been smashed and I could not give a single shit.

Ah. I thought that was it, then I saw it was posted just after a post about Farage.

Yeah, me too. It is Blair Mark 2. Inviting big business to take over services, increasing inequality, benefits bashing, foreigner bashing, union bashing, authoritarian streak at home and fuck knows what shit in terms of foreign policy.

It's a weird feeling. The tories have just been smashed and I could not give a single shit.
Yeah. I was just feeling it so viscerally. Posted here cos I didn't want to piss on people's chips in the election thread who're just glad the Tories are almost certain to be going. As am I of course, massively, but... yeah, Jeez.

On Farage. I originally come from Devon and saw speech on YouTube he gave in Devon whilst drumming up support. He spoke for half hour off the cuff and knows how to work a crowd. I do not like his politics but I was impressed. Mixture of opposing the elites and supporting the armed forces. In Devon that goes down well . Agree with Owen someone like him could gain if the grown ups who will run the country next do not deliver.
Would agree that - as a Devon immigrant - that would go down well in Devon.

You are right - he understands his audience and what they want to hear

examine what he says forensically and it doesn’t stand up - but who of his audience is doing that

Comparing Stammer to Blair is extremely flattering to Stammer.

cos he's replaced at the top of Labour or cos he leads them to a loss at the next general election?

I'd wager the former. a lot of baggage from Brexit and the Corbyn in-fighting that the party should want a clean break from.

I do think Starmer is an electoral liability, and it's not implausible that he will be seen as a weak link by those around him.

I'm also not convinced that Labour's massive majority is that solid. This isn't a rerun of 1997 where Labour is guaranteed a couple of election victories whilst the Tories rebuild themselves. I could see it unravelling quite quickly, which leads me back to Starmer being seen as part of the problem.

Last edited:
The big problem they have is that Starmer can't deviate from the national campaign which is aimed at a demographic who barely exist in his own constituency. The Starmerite base isn't that large. he's been ticking off large quantities of his natural support ever since he became the MP. I've met one person on the street who actually overtly expressed support for Starmer, and 3 on the doorstep who were still considering voting for him. Mostly it's been about explaining that in local terms it's Starmer versus the Lib Dems or Andrew Feinstein. Nobody else is even trying.

Well, got to hand it to you Eric - impressive turnout for Feinstein.

So after all that bullshit. The purges, calling anybody slightly critical of Israel anti-semitic, the slavish adherence to Conservative policy and the refusal to commit to fucking anything at all - they got the same vote share as the last "worst result ever" under the "worst leader ever to have existed".

Fucking hilarious.

So after all that bullshit. The purges, calling anybody slightly critical of Israel anti-semitic, the slavish adherence to Conservative policy and the refusal to commit to fucking anything at all - they got the same vote share as the last "worst result ever" under the "worst leader ever to have existed".

Fucking hilarious.
What is their vote share now? It was 32% in 2019.

Clearly there is no thirst for Starmer.

Back
Top Bottom