Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Keir Starmer's time is up

Labour have tabled an amendment to the Kings speech using the terms murder when it comes to Israeli's and deaths when it comes to Palestinians . I was going to say something about 'rules based international order' but its probably worthy of a far bigger discussion.

1700039090009.png

24m ago
20.41 CET
Eight shadow ministers quit or face sack from Starmer's frontbench over Labour's opposition to Gaza ceasefire
Labour leader Keir Starmer has seen a big rebellion of eight shadow ministers – including Jess Phillips – from a total of 56 Labour MPs who voted with the SNP on an amendment to the king’s speech calling for an immediate ceasefire in Gaza.

The rebels on the front bench included Phillips, Rachel Hopkins, Sarah Owen, Afzal Khan, Paula Barker, Naz Shah, Yasmin Quereshi and Andy Slaughter.

The 56 Labour MPs rejected Starmer’s position, which calls for a “credible, diplomatic and political process” to deliver a peaceful two-state solution in between Israel and Palestine. The SNP motion called for an immediate ceasefire.

The rebellion signals how the divisions over views on the Israel-Hamas conflict have the potential to tear Labour apart – a point of contention that Starmer will face tough questions about as the country gears up for a general election in the next year.

Three Labour frontbenchers resigned in the minutes before the vote, after Starmer made clear that those voting for the ceasefire amendment would be sacked

Doesn't she have a sizable muslim voter base? I seem to recall an acrimonious election campaign (thanks in part to Galloway)

Fucking Starmer, what a clown
Seems that way. She said "I voted with my constituents, my head and my heart".
Can't wait for Labour canvassers to come round our house asking to vote for Helen Hayes.

Back
Top Bottom