Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Keir Starmer's time is up

Boris says "you vacillate, we vaccinate" and I want to cheer. When they're dooking it out in the commons it's hard not to see Boris - Boris!! - as the more serious politician. Everything Sir Keith says feels superficial, "playing the long game" etc.
Blimey, I never thought I'd live to see the day when the tories were attacking Labour for being petit-bourgeois vacillationists. :eek:

Could there be any more disturbing front cover than an infinite regress of a grinning Tony Blair opening the Sun with his face on the front?

923_big.jpg

Radical old Guardian supporting the liberals in 1945 :D

Seeing the Neo-Nazi Daily Express backing ZanNu Liar Bore PF in 2001 is a grim reminder of that interview where Paxman asked Tony B Liar if he'd heard of any of the other of that nonce Desmond's publications, including 'thin and wriggly'.

I was rather hoping we'd seen the back of these. I think the use of these and similar terms may be the worst thing about the Blair era. Second worst after the war anyway.

With respect, I think you’ve missed how genius those terms were. I know it looks like people just didn’t know how to spell Tony Blair or New Labour, but in actual fact, both are deliberate puns, and fiendishly clever ones I might add. 'Tony B Liar' is an anagram of "Tony Blair" and highlights his propensity to lie.

As for ZaNuLiar Bore PF, well, you'd have to be familiar with the politics of the period. Let me explain. Around that time Zimbabwe was in the news quite a bit and its ruling party 'Zanu PF' was infamous for its authoritarianism and corruption. ZaNuLiar Bore PF cleverly compares New Labour to Zanu PF! We can leave aside the blatant racist undertones of the comparison for a minute and just appreciate it for the cutting edge satire that it was.

We didn't have 'memes' back then, people had to get creative with word play to drive home important political messages.

If Blair & also Mandelson are seriously getting involved in this then I would think there is some sort of plan along the lines of what brought the ‘97 Labour victory. It will be interesting to see if it works this time.

Back
Top Bottom