Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Just Stop Oil

'linear'?

This thread is about JSO, I don't know what other groups exist that are taking actions so I'm not commenting on them. If that's linear, oh well.

An issue can make it into the news but how it's framed is what's important. If pople hear about this all the time, but only in a negative "these people want to ruin your holiday" context, are they going to draw positive conclusions or think "fuck off JSO"?

I mean airport protests don't affect me, I don't fly. But that isn't really the point. This is the summer holidays and there may be some, maybe many, working class families taking themsleves for the one holiday they can afford, now possibly missing a flight or having to cancel. What impact does that have on the oil industry or the government? Fuck all

As to that study. It's hard to parse because I dont really speak their language, but it said this on the issue of question 3, support for climate policies:
I'm sure some people will disagree with me vehemently on this but I don't have a problem with fucking up a small number of working class families' foreign holidays. Climate change - both the impacts of it and the policies needed to combat it - will be massively disruptive to everyday life as we have lived it. Air travel, while not the biggest issue / source of carbon - is particularly symbolic, because it's generally much less necessary than other emitting activities, the bulk of flying is by a relatively small group of people, its rapidly growing when it should be being capped at the very least and whatever tripe is being spouted this week about sustainable fuels there is really no alternative other than reducing the amount we fly. The days of jetting off for a weekend really have to stop. That may be painful and not what people want to hear but it's the facts. Air travel should be disrupted, until policies are in place to heavily tax frequent flyers and actively manage / ration the amount of flying down to a level that fits with global carbon budgets.

I'm sure some people will disagree with me vehemently on this but I don't have a problem with fucking up a small number of working class families' foreign holidays. Climate change - both the impacts of it and the policies needed to combat it - will be massively disruptive to everyday life as we have lived it.
So what would be an example of an activity you wouldn't support? After all the impact of climate change could be used to justify almost any form of protest?

So tedious and so so dense, on top of the inflated self importance
Pathetic attempt at hypocrisy hunting now too! well done

So what would be an example of an activity you wouldn't support? After all the impact of climate change could be used to justify almost any form of protest?
I wouldn't support some kind of violent attack (,bombing, etc) that had a high probability of casualties amongst public or ordinary workers.

But yes, given the stakes, I think you can make a moral case for some quite extreme action.

Although I'm defending JSO here I'm not actually convinced their strategy is correct. I'm just loathe to criticise people who are putting their futures on the line in this way - given that so many alternatives have been tried and not really moved the dial.

Though there was a period back in 2018/19 ish when XR and the school strikes definitely galvanised action. But that was a moment in time that I'm not sure is easily repeated.

I wouldn't support some kind of violent attack (,bombing, etc) that had a high probability of casualties amongst public or ordinary workers.

But yes, given the stakes, I think you can make a moral case for some quite extreme action.

Although I'm defending JSO here I'm not actually convinced their strategy is correct. I'm just loathe to criticise people who are putting their futures on the line in this way - given that so many alternatives have been tried and not really moved the dial.

Though there was a period back in 2018/19 ish when XR and the school strikes definitely galvanised action. But that was a moment in time that I'm not sure is easily repeated.
How high a probability?

Why? If more people are going to die because of climate change, which is the logic being used, then why not?
It' snot a moral case. Blowing people up is immoral (IMO). It's based on the reasoning that the impact of climate change is more severe. If a fewpeople die in a JSO action then it's nothing compared to how many people will die if climate change isn't stopped.
Surely you should cricitise them because you want them to succeed? Not because what they are doing is risky

Why? If more people are going to die because of climate change, which is the logic being used, then why not?

It' snot a moral case. Blowing people up is immoral (IMO). It's based on the reasoning that the impact of climate change is more severe. If a fewpeople die in a JSO action then it's nothing compared to how many people will die if climate change isn't stopped.

Surely you should cricitise them because you want them to succeed? Not because what they are doing is risky
We all have our own moral/ethical framework around political action, and when violence can be justified. It's very much a live debate within the climate movement. JSO are not blowing up anything, people or infrastructure, so can't really see the relevance of going down this particular ethical rabbit hole.

I want JSO's objective to be realised, alongside many other climate policies. The reality is that JSO are one of many actors in this space. What they do has an impact but their protests are just part of the picture. I'm unsure how effective they are but I also don't think the argument that they're counter productive really stands up to scrutiny.

"climate political prisoners"
From JSO
"A little over a month ago there were no climate political prisoners in UK prisons, now there are 21. This clamp down is a coordinated move from the state to crush effective, disruptive climate action through aggressive, repressive policing and sham trials conducted by highly motivated judges"

If the JSO protests are about gaining publicity then they're a success. If they're about winning people over then it's difficult to imagine that annoying ordinary people just trying to get to work or take their family on holiday is going to achieve that.

Among other things they're about causing a tiny hint of the harm and disruption climate change is increasingly going to cause all by itself if we don't act now. This doesn't get articulated often enough.

The judge said the court "accepts a conscientious motive may be a relevant consideration".

However he said "your actions were disproportionate to your aims".

Presumably you need a bit of brains and that to be a judge, so how the fuck did he come out with that steaming pile of bollocks?

Many of the things Just Stop Oil were agitating for have now become mainstream ideas and even government policy (eg no new North Sea oil exploration). So where is the evidence that their activity has been counterproductive?

They were always mainstream ideas.

If the JSO protests are about gaining publicity then they're a success. If they're about winning people over then it's difficult to imagine that annoying ordinary people just trying to get to work or take their family on holiday is going to achieve that.
JSO certainly see it as a success
"And what a success it was. Our common banner, 'Oil Kills', was mentioned over 2,900 times in the press. The Fossil Fuel Non-Proliferation Treaty initiative has also never been attracting this much media attention worldwide, with an increase of over 1,000% in mentions over the previous week. Our actions drew comment from politicians, government officials and from the Vice President of Equinor. We were hard to ignore."

Back
Top Bottom