Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Just Stop Oil

I'm pretty sure he hasn't claimed to be a vicar because he's a deacon, and the FCE is considered a genuine church by the CofE.

If you're going to criticise him arguing against JSO tactics you should probably try a bit harder.
Sorry - hadn’t realised you were such a fan! Explains a lot 😂

Do like the phrase “genuine church” though!!

This is as silly as binary as platinumsage comes out with.

There's plenty of criticisms to be made of Gandhi which do not default to a defence of the British empire. And he did hold some dodgy racial views.
Likewise (friendly) criticism of non-violent civil disobedience does not mean one opposes everything JSO do or aim for.
Not sure edcraw does nuance

its a sect and thusly to me on the same level as the christadelphians, the church of the latter day saints and the moonies.

I wouldn't call their vicars fake though. As an aside I reckon the latter day saints are about equivalent to the RCs - from saint fetishism to anti-wanking and their stance on dinosaurs they're pretty much the same.

I wouldn't call their vicars fake though. As an aside I reckon the latter day saints are about equivalent to the RCs - from saint fetishism to anti-wanking and their stance on dinosaurs they're pretty much the same.
Thought he was a deacon?! (like I know the difference or care)

1689833087036.jpeg
“The political wing of just stop oil”

Language evokes how Sinn Fein were described in the 90s and of course it then hints that JSO are terrorists. Weasel words from the man with many names.

"Your friend is a friend of people I don't like, so even though you've said they aren't your friends, you must be their friend too" would be a fairly pathetic thing for an angry child to shout on a playground, let alone for a minister of the crown to write on his official notepaper.

This gives the impression of something thought up over one too many beers in the Commons Bar.
"Oh Wow JSO are even more unpopular than we are let's try and make it look like they're something to do with the Labour Party!"

Good to see that the left really knows the minds of all the prospective Lab/Con fence-sitting voters. I suspect that's why Corbyn won the last election.

Good to see that the left really knows the minds of all the prospective Lab/Con fence-sitting voters. I suspect that's why Corbyn won the last election.
No doubt there will be a surge of Tory voting based on Grant's Twitter tantrum today (honestly I sort of hope there is, I'd enjoy watching Starkers panic).

Wonder which lobby group is paying for these “counter protesters”?

Fuck's sake.

Not surprising though on a number of levels. The speeches by JSO people there aren't exactly inspiring either. Do think the climate stuff is going to be very messy with backlashes, organised reactions like this, and plenty of manufactured counter-narratives and protests.

This is nothing. Wait until we have resource wars and mass migrations due to vast swathes of the globe becoming uninhabitable. The nature of things being unsustainable is that in the end, you can’t sustain them.

The only reasonable critique of Just Stop Oil in times like these is that they are not disruptive enough.

I think so much of the kneejerk rejection of JSO (however we frame our complaints, and whatever direction they are coming from) is born out of a fear of looking the reality of the situation in the face. We'd rather not be reminded of badly we're fucking ourselves and our children over.

Give it a year or two and JSO will be a minor footnote compared to the shitstorm that will emerge one way or another.

We're almost certain to overshoot 1.5c this fucking year. If we don't do something very, very drastic 2.5 -3c is on the cards.

Indeed. It’s important to remember that an increase of 1.5c doesn’t mean that everything is as it was, but each day is 1.5c hotter across the globe. It is an average increase, which reflects a much hotter hot. That’s why we’re seeing these record temperatures almost at 50c in Europe and over 50c in China and the US. If the average increase hits 2.5c, expect to see pockets in the summer get to 60c, and that’s pretty much unlivable.

Indeed. It’s important to remember that an increase of 1.5c doesn’t mean that everything is as it was, but each day is 1.5c hotter across the globe. It is an average increase, which reflects a much hotter hot. That’s why we’re seeing these record temperatures almost at 50c in Europe and over 50c in China and the US. If the average increase hits 2.5c, expect to see pockets in the summer get to 60c, and that’s pretty much unlivable.
50c is unliveable without a huge change in our daily routines. Work - for example - will have to change beyond recognition.

50c is unliveable without a huge change in our daily routines. Work - for example - will have to change beyond recognition.
not much point working when there is no food growing

That's ultimately the main issue with the crisis we are facing. But this basic point that we depend on functioning ecosystems seems completely invisible to most people. I think there have been huge mistakes in how the impacts of climate change have been presented - sea level rise, while disruptive, seems a minor hassle in comparison.

not much point working when there is no food growing

That's ultimately the main issue with the crisis we are facing. But this basic point that we depend on functioning ecosystems seems completely invisible to most people. I think there have been huge mistakes in how the impacts of climate change have been presented - sea level rise, while disruptive, seems a minor hassle in comparison.

Honestly the last couple of years have made me really worry just about the domestic climate here.

I’ve known winter was changing for a while but the fucked up springs and summers are really concerning me. What’s that doing to our wildlife and crops

50c is unliveable as a whole, but not as a peak temperature in the hottest parts of the world, which is what I was talking about. 50c in that sense is what we’re already seeing and we still have food, and people still live in the areas that are peaking at 50c. However, 60c in those same areas is likely to be literally uninhabitable, and that will likely happen if global warming as a whole hits 2.5c.

The point I’m making is that “1.5c” and “2.5c” don’t sound that dramatic on the face of it (and they don’t sound too dissimilar either), but they disguise really dramatic (different) alterations of peak seasonal temperatures.

Honestly the last couple of years have made me really worry just about the domestic climate here.

I’ve known winter was changing for a while but the fucked up springs and summers are really concerning me. What’s that doing to our wildlife and crops
you know when they say we're living in an age of extinction, what they're talking about?

Back
Top Bottom