Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Joker trailer

slow burner movie that was reminiscent of 80's downtown US.
enjoyed it but was expecting more of Killing Joke (one of my fav comic books of my childhood).

Just saw it, thought it was great.

Only thing I didn't like

The bit where Bruce's parents were killed. Massively shoehorned in.
Why would they be going up the pictures right in the middle of a riot against them, let alone without bodyguards.

Only thing I didn't like

Why would they be going up the pictures right in the middle of a riot against them, let alone without bodyguards.
Because it didn't happen.

Because it didn't happen.
In Joker 2019, an unidentified man dressed in a Joker mask murders the Waynes during a riot, making it the second film to imply the Joker is linked to the Waynes' deaths,

In Joker 2019, an unidentified man dressed in a Joker mask murders the Waynes during a riot, making it the second film to imply the Joker is linked to the Waynes' deaths,
But more or less the whole theme of the film is that reality is in the eye of the beholder. We don’t know if any of it happened.

On the Empire spoiler special they posited that this is not The Joker, just A Joker.

There's no way Phoenix would join the DCU and be in a regular mediocre batman superhero film.

Todd Phillips also said they both have no plans to do anything else with the character. It's not that kind of film.

Wonder what Scorsese thinks of it. He was attached early on as a producer, but famously hates superhero films, alongside Francis Ford Copploa

Wonder what Scorsese thinks of it. He was attached early on as a producer, but famously hates superhero films, alongside Francis Ford Copploa
I don't think it's about hating them, it's about objecting to the franchisation of movies.

The clear highlight for me was Phoenix as the Joker. He doesn’t quite have the charisma of Ledger or Nicholson but he was darker than both and, for this film, that worked well.

I’m not sure it will age well though overall. As a metaphor for our times it didn’t really say anything about anything other than what an incoherent mess we are as a whole, and that is hardly a unique take on the human experience. Entertaining and engaging but ultimately unrewarding. It was a bit like watching a band with a great sound but no actual tunes.

The female roles were a particular disappointment. Both his mother and the neighbour/love interest were reduced to feeble servitude and the misogyny that ran through the whole piece was epitomised by the old lady on the chat show who sat as if in comedic shock after being sexually assaulted in front of a live audience.

But more or less the whole theme of the film is that reality is in the eye of the beholder. We don’t know if any of it happened.

Iirc, that skewed take on reality is a staple of the Joker, remember Heath Ledger's various versions on how he got his "smile". Which one was real, if any etc...

The clear highlight for me was Phoenix as the Joker. He doesn’t quite have the charisma of Ledger or Nicholson but he was darker than both and, for this film, that worked well.

I’m not sure it will age well though overall. As a metaphor for our times it didn’t really say anything about anything other than what an incoherent mess we are as a whole, and that is hardly a unique take on the human experience. Entertaining and engaging but ultimately unrewarding. It was a bit like watching a band with a great sound but no actual tunes.

The female roles were a particular disappointment. Both his mother and the neighbour/love interest were reduced to feeble servitude and the misogyny that ran through the whole piece was epitomised by the old lady on the chat show who sat as if in comedic shock after being sexually assaulted in front of a live audience.

That last scene is taken from The Dark Knight Returns - where the Joker does the same to a Dr Ruth type character...

endocrine5.jpg

Oh I don’t know. I thought Frances Conroy brought real depth to her role, and when her “secret” is discovered, and then her real secret is discovered we see her character as much more than feeble.

I count 3 important female characters. (Mother, neighbour, social worker). Plus other incidental ones. It’s not fifty fifty and it doesn’t pass beschdel- but that doesn’t make it misogynist from where I sit.

Only thing I didn't like

TBH I thought the whole last 10-15 minutes could have been cut. Didn't add anything just end

where he shoots Murray Franklin

I count 3 important female characters. (Mother, neighbour, social worker). Plus other incidental ones. It’s not fifty fifty and it doesn’t pass beschdel- but that doesn’t make it misogynist from where I sit.
Oh there were definitely important female characters in the film, but I didn’t think they were ever developed beyond being props to Arthur; they created no force of their own on screen and came across as rather meek I thought. Many of the men he encountered, by contrast, were actively confrontational so their relative servitude was not required by the plot.

The neighbour was presented as almost childlike, and the social worker was a somewhat exasperated figure who made little attempt to bring anything of substance out of Arthur. She seemed bored. The mother clearly had a huge influence on Arthur but was so diminished by her condition that her influence had to be presented vicariously through Wayne, via letter or via documents he got from the Council. Ultimately she was uncovered as a sick, pathetic, dishonest child abuser. Even Norma Bates got her own voice!

Perhaps misogynist is too strong and in any case you are better placed than me to judge the tone from a female perspective, I just felt there was a slight undercurrent throughout. Perhaps all the incel chatter around the film has played a part in that though.

TBH I thought the whole last 10-15 minutes could have been cut. Didn't add anything just end

I agree that would have made for a much better and more thought provoking film. The last few scenes were all about positioning the franchise.

I think the only bit that should've been cut is the
pointless asylum scene at the end

The perfect endind would've been when
he uses blood to make a triumphant Joker smile. This is the point where he became The Joker.

he uses blood to make a triumphant Joker smile. This is the point where he became The Joker.

I can see merit in both endings. The first
hints that much of this may be in Arthur's head, it's open to interpretation, of course
whilst the latter is "the moment"
birth of Gotham's clown prince and all the horror that will surely follow

The film ends the way it does because it’s not going framed to be part of the franchise or any of the rebooted universes. If it ended as you suggest, it would absolutely allow the film to be read as the setup for a future batman incarnation. But this film isn’t interested in that.

Two other bits I didnae like

His speech on the talk show - too on-the-nose. Reminded me of the similar speech in Natural Born Killers - show not tell innit.
And where you realise the relationship with Sophie was all in his head - was redundant showing you the scenes with them together then him alone in the same scene.
The audience largely aren't idiots, we know what it meant

Finally saw it last night, much better than I'd feared, not quite as good as many claim. Tho I love Taxi Driver, King of Comedy & Network, so was always going to enjoy large parts of it, I suppose.

While the fear that it might provide a hero for the Incel movement, that's clearly a nonsense and the movies politics are definitely on the right side. There are some magnificent bits, Phoenix in general is brilliant, wipes out any memory of that awful Nicholson performance in the same role. And it, generally, includes enough key references from the comics without shoehorning them in.

But...lots of it just doesn't make any sense, unless it is (like the last scene it copies from Taxi Driver), all completely fictional bullshit in Arthur's head.

Whether or not Penny Fleck was abused by Wayne or someone else, there is no chance whatsoever she would have got Arthur back afterwards. They would never have seen each other again.

Rather more centrally, the whole interaction with Rupert Pupkin would never have happened. Arthur would not have been filmed at that comedy club, the clip would not have been shown on the show, and he wouldn't be invited on afterwards.

Oh, and I'm not really sure what the point of Zadie Beetz was except to show that Arthur wasn't racist.

Still, even with those criticisms, it was a very entertaining couple of hours. And the use of Rock n Roll is brilliant.

Oh, and I'm not really sure what the point of Zadie Beetz was except to show that Arthur wasn't racist.
Perhaps they just thought she would be good in the part? I don't see why her blackness has to be saying anything in particular if that's what you mean. If you mean the character as a whole then I think you've drastically missed the point somewhere.

I enjoyed it.

Back
Top Bottom