Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Joker trailer

Perhaps they just thought she would be good in the part? I don't see why her blackness has to be saying anything in particular if that's what you mean. If you mean the character as a whole then I think you've drastically missed the point somewhere.

I enjoyed it.
Beetz performs perfectly well, but has almost nothing to do. If she were completely cut it would make virtually no difference. Arthur's relationship with his mother provides his 'heart' and the rest is unreal, so what's her point?

Must admit, the more I think about the film, the less I think of it. Entertaining but shallow.

Beetz performs perfectly well, but has almost nothing to do. If she were completely cut it would make virtually no difference. Arthur's relationship with his mother provides his 'heart' and the rest is unreal, so what's her point?

Must admit, the more I think about the film, the less I think of it. Entertaining but shallow.
the reveal of him not going out with her shows him as an unreliable narrator, the depths of his insanity...and he probably killed her when he went into her flat, she wasn't seen again was she? (I was looking for her 2nd time I saw it)

the reveal of him not going out with her shows him as an unreliable narrator, the depths of his insanity...and he probably killed her when he went into her flat, she wasn't seen again was she? (I was looking for her 2nd time I saw it)
We knew that anyway. It was pretty clearly laid out. And that last bit is just a cheap bit of 'did he/didn't he?'

Whether or not Penny Fleck was abused by Wayne or someone else, there is no chance whatsoever she would have got Arthur back afterwards. They would never have seen each other again.

I came here to ask the same question after watching it last night. In fact
I was actually left unsure if her mother had been involved or complicit in the abuse at all, or if she was simply a completely unconnected member of public who adopted Arthur after he'd been rescued by social services, and later on became mentally ill herself. As I understood it she was in care of Arthur while he was being abused, but surely he would have never been returned to her care afterwards, and even if he had been, who was looking after him for the period she spent in custody?

But overall, a very good film (not sure if 'film of the year' as some critics appear to be saying), but very good. And Phoenix is, of course, sublime.

He has three laughs, apparently.

His condition, when he's trying to fit in with others and when he finally becomes Joker.

Was anyone bothered by the use of Glitter?

I wasn't, and it's a great track and scene.

Was the director being provocative by putting it in, or is Glitter not a big star in America? So it may not have been big news (although I'm sure someone would have put Philips in the picture, but it may not have been thought to ring any alarm bells with the American public)

Was the director being provocative by putting it in, or is Glitter not a big star in America?...
The director did the Hangover films, the Starsky and Hutch 'comedy' and Due Date. He does not give a shit about glitter.

Was the director being provocative by putting it in, or is Glitter not a big star in America? So it may not have been big news (although I'm sure someone would have put Philips in the picture, but it may not have been thought to ring any alarm bells with the American public)
US audiences know it from sports, where it is played a ridiculous amount - or the bit used in the film is, anyway. It has dropped off recently, but only well after Glitter was jailed. The director undoubtedly knew all about its wider connotations when he chose it and knew it would spark off a useful bit of controversy.

Was it bitterly cynical? yes. Did it work in the film? also, yes, absolutely.

Watch this on the weekend and like it

its not really comic book movie more an old school 70's Martin Scorsese character study affair as a lot of critics said
tbf the violence with it has been over stated by the media ..

imo

Should grab some awards really at least for Phoenix
and the could end the dance to freedom by removing Gary's vocals from the footage

it's part 2, which was the b-side and instrumental but for the 'hey' I thought the band did that bit (tho Gary did it live), but could be talking out of my arse.

cannot say as my research was youtubing the song on the sound track

and skimming thru it before pondering about my recommend track listing for the car so

if you remember it on the radio i will concede..

Odd thing is, I think that Kanye West sampled it on his song Black Skinhead and you hear that all the time. In fact I think its Sky Sports theme tune

the hey is the only lyric of the songs first half methinks and that was glitter

it's part 2, which was the b-side and instrumental but for the 'hey' I thought the band did that bit (tho Gary did it live), but could be talking out of my arse.

He is credited as a co-writer so would receive royalties under most contractual arrangements. He won’t, but - reading between the lines of stuff reported after release - this is purely because he sold the rights at some point. When he sold them is less clear, hopefully in the mid 90s for a new car, but who knows really. With any luck he’ll have the good grace to snuff it in prison.

I'm off round a mates to have a go at this tonight, he says he has a decent copy.

I'll report back.

been a while since I've looked forward to watching something.

Watched this tonight, enjoyed it with an excellent performance by JP. As for the GG music, it was the instrumental from B side, it fit well even knowing it was published under GG's name.

I found this beautifully made and incredibly dull. It’s a movie where you know from the beginning where it was going to go and then there are no more surprises along the way, it incessantly bangs away at one note. Joker tries hard to be a Scorsese movie when Scorsese was on top by bluntly blending Taxi Driver with King of Comedy. They even cast De Niro so we‘ll get it, but that alone doesn’t put it anywhere near in the same league. I think I hated this.

Last edited:
lovely framing of the tale in the '80s i thought- when NY was the crime spattered Gotham of the film. Not sure about the batman link but hey ho. I was impressed with JP use of his body and movement. It way maybe a bit less than satisfying overall. Lots of nods in every direction to other stuff - scorsese, mean streets,taxi driver obvs, french connection, midnight cowboy even.

eta and bernard goetz

I found this beautifully made and incredibly dull. It’s a movie where you know from the beginning where it was going to go and then there are no more surprises along the way, it incessantly bangs away at one note. Joker tries hard to be a Scorsese movie when Scorsese was on top by bluntly blending Taxi Driver with King of Comedy. They even cast De Niro so we‘ll get it, but that alone doesn’t put it anywhere near in the same league. I think I hated this.
I didn’t hate it. I liked the subversion of the Wayne family good, the Joker bad narrative and crime being a lot to do with life being shit. And Phoenix is v good and it's very well shot.

But absolutely agree on the Scorsese thing. I found it really depressing that no one I work with (they were all raving about this) had seen or was interested in seeing The King of Comedy which is such a better and more interesting film and was very blatantly and very knowingly ripped off.

Saw this last night. The last ten minutes were great but most of the rest of it fell flat. There seemed to be a large chunk of the plot missing, namely the bit which explains how and why a massive insurrection sprang up in response to the Joker's actions.

Back
Top Bottom