Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Joker trailer

Think I’ll see it sometime this week as will have a free afternoon. Am a bit meh about the concept but it might surprise me

The joke's on you if you spend money to see this tripe, like I just did. I can't think of much positive to say about it except that there's some decent songs in it - but you've heard them all before, all done better, and without any associated misery this film brings to them.
I knew it would be shit but I went to see it anyway for 2 reasons: 1) I still have a thing for Lady Gaga (I know, shoot me now) - but she is the best thing about it - and 2) I'm in Athens on hols and I thought it would be fun to see an English language film here, and it was a great cinema and only €10. It wouldn't be fun to see this film anywhere, but at least it was a different experience to seeing it back home.

It all looks as on-the-nose obvious as the first movie. As thought-provoking as Banksy. Will watch it next week to find out if my suspicions are correct

Yeah, that was the hook that made me want to see it but might wait until streaming now, what with the mixed reviews.

At least the director has tried something a bit different, rather than more of the same.

Plus, musicals are ace.

I like musicals, but this one is a jukebox musical and it's sung through. That's just annoying.

I haven't seen it, but my GF went the other day and said the only way it could have been worse is if she'd had to watch it twice.

I like musicals, but this one is a jukebox musical and it's sung through. That's just annoying.

I haven't seen it, but my GF went the other day and said the only way it could have been worse is if she'd had to watch it twice.
It’s not sung through all the way, judging by the trailer. Though if it’s mostly sung through, I’ll have to find a subtitled screening. Meh

It’s not sung through all the way, judging by the trailer. Though if it’s mostly sung through, I’ll have to find a subtitled screening. Meh
I'm going on what my gf said - maybe it was just too much rather than fully sung through.

It sounds like it was an anti-musical, really. Also, in this rather good LA Times reviewLady Gaga says it's not a musical because "The way that music is used is to give the characters a way to express what they need to say because the scene and just the dialogue is not enough.” But, uh, that's exactly what a musical is. Though apparently not this one.

It was an ok film. Not terrible. If the singing as "a device to show feelings blah blah" was used less often the film would be stronger for it. It actually felt like a cop out cutting to a song just as things were getting interesting.
There is a scene in Avengers: Endgame where they replay a scene from Guardians of the Galaxy. Originally the lead Chris (not the Star Trek one the Jurassic Park one) Wotsit dances and sings to music in his headphones while exploring a planet. All very exciting. It is replayed from the perspective of a couple of people watching and if course looks a twat. This throwaway scene says more about the character than 2 hours of Jack and Steph dicking about.
Someone said of Trainspotting 2 that it was like a two hour advert for a twenty year old film. This felt a little like that.

I noticed joker was streaming in itvx or something last night. Watched about 15 minutes but wasn't taken with it.

I noticed joker was streaming in itvx or something last night. Watched about 15 minutes but wasn't taken with it.
One thing I thought watching this one would be that it'd be an odd one to watch at home. It needs the cinema not because it is epic or great but to hold your attention. It is not one thing or another. It is not some deep character study, mindless action film, gripping courtroom drama or great musical. I'd turn over to Die Hard on the other side.

UK Box Office Top 5 from the BFI figures

1Joker: Folie A DeuxUSA-£ 5,674,029-Warner Bros-
2Beetlejuice BeetlejuiceUK/USA-£ 1,132,437-Warner Bros-38%
3Speak No EvilUK/USA-£ 408,214-Universal-37%
4The SubstanceFra/UK-£ 358,278-MUBI-15%
5The OutrunUK/Ger-£ 319,960-StudioCanal-29%

I quite like it. But of a nod to umbrellas of Cherberg. Thought it was doing for Bi-polar and ( to a lesser extent) personally disorders what the Father did for Dementia, but the fact that the Father did it first made it less shocking.

Quite good to look at. Not a true classic but pretty good. I think it will gain in appreciation as the years go by.

In all fairness, ime, films need a bit more than 15 minutes to make an impact.
I'm not sure why but the first Joker film (mentioned) was already on Japanese neflix at the same time it was on the cinema. I was in Japan at the time so just watched in on the telly. I can't say I was taken by it in the first 15 minutes and it didn't get any better (I did stay to the end).

I think that batman film was also on Japanese netflix while it was still at the cinema too. Must be a DC deal. I didn't like that either. . . and the screen was so dark I couldn't see a bloody thing.

I'm not sure why but the first Joker film (mentioned) was already on Japanese neflix at the same time it was on the cinema. I was in Japan at the time so just watched in on the telly. I can't say I was taken by it in the first 15 minutes and it didn't get any better (I did stay to the end).

I think that batman film was also on Japanese netflix while it was still at the cinema too. Must be a DC deal. I didn't like that either. . . and the screen was so dark I couldn't see a bloody thing.
I went to see them at the cinema, they weren't on Netflix at the same time

BFI Box Office figures are out. Top 3 for this week:

Transformers OneWeekend gross 1,691,9281 week577 screensTotal gross so far 1,69,1928
Joker: Folie A DeuxWeekend gross
1,431,998-
2 weeks727 screenstotal gross
Terrifier 3Weekend gross
 1,049,416-
1 week 429 screenstotal
gross 1,049,416

BFI Box Office figures are out. Top 3 for this week:

Transformers OneWeekend gross 1,691,9281 week577 screensTotal gross so far 1,69,1928
Joker: Folie A DeuxWeekend gross
1,431,998-
2 weeks727 screenstotal gross
Terrifier 3Weekend gross
 1,049,416-
1 week429 screenstotal
gross 1,049,416
Perhaps not the right thread for this, but your post has reminded me of The Guardian’s Pass notes piece this week, devoted to Terrifier 3 :eek:

I saw it. Wasn't impressed. It had so much potential, but really failed to live up to it. Thin on plot. Heavy on atmosphere. Very little substance.

There's a Guardian article, iirc, that says the original film excited incels and that the sequel turns that on its head. This one alienates angry males, and that's another reason it's flopped?

Back
Top Bottom