Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Joker trailer

Saw this last night. The last ten minutes were great but most of the rest of it fell flat. There seemed to be a large chunk of the plot missing, namely the bit which explains how and why a massive insurrection sprang up in response to the Joker's actions.
That was one thing I didn't have that much of a problem with. Sometimes it takes little for a protest movement to adopt a mask or a symbol, like the V for Vendetta inspired Guy Fawkes mask. After the Joker's initial act of violence which made the news, it developed independent from him. We are talking the early 80s deprivation of NYC/Gotham, which saw a lot of unrest.

I had no interest in this given all the incel/MRA hype around it, but I happened to watch it today and thought it was alright. I liked that you don't need to know or appreciate anything about Batman or comics; it stands up on its own, just about. I don't think there's much to take away from it politically; not sure if we're supposed to sympathise or empathise with him. Whatever, it's nicely shot and acted.

I had no interest in this given all the incel/MRA hype around it, but I happened to watch it today and thought it was alright. I liked that you don't need to know or appreciate anything about Batman or comics; it stands up on its own, just about. I don't think there's much to take away from it politically; not sure if we're supposed to sympathise or empathise with him. Whatever, it's nicely shot and acted.
Tbh I only saw fuss about it from the anti incel/mra types. But then I don't move in incel or MRA circles either cyberly or irl.

I'm starting to think incel maybe a 4chan creation to wind "libtards" up as they are often want to do.
Mind you, as I said, I've never come across one but haven't actively gone looking either

I can see how this plays into incel fantasies and the movie sort of roots for the Joker here as it’s entirely from his POV. I wouldn’t want to see this with an audience who cheers the kills. In this Origin Story he’s delusional and full of self pity, a bad childhood got him where he is, which is utterly trite. He’s just another fuck up out for personal revenge. In The Dark Knight The Joker took the piss out of that sort of reductive cliche, by giving backstories like this only for it to turn out to be another "joke". Heath Ledgers Joker is political, with a philosophy and a plan, which is so much more interesting.

Will some... Joker... ever put the KLF version of Rock 'n' Roll Part 2 over the steps dance scene, I wonder...? ("Dr.Whooo-oooh! Hey! Dr.Who!")

I can see how this plays into incel fantasies and the movie sort of roots for the Joker here as it’s entirely from his POV. I wouldn’t want to see this with an audience who cheers the kills. In this Origin Story he’s delusional and full of self pity, a bad childhood got him where he is, which is utterly trite. He’s just another fuck up out for personal revenge. In The Dark Knight The Joker took the piss out of that sort of reductive cliche, by giving backstories like this only for it to turn out to be another "joke". Heath Ledgers Joker is political, with a philosophy and a plan, which is so much more interesting.

I don’t see what’s wrong with the cheering. In movies people are generally happy when the bad guys get their just deserts and the Wall Street guys and Murray at least were scumbags who deserved what they got.

The Dark Knight trilogy had far more regressive politics than Joker, bordering on fascistic at times. Crime is presented for the most part as pathological and lacking any social causes. Joker flipped this by showing how the same system that produced the opulence of the Waynes also created the criminality and social breakdown that Bruce would later fight against. Okay, it’s not exactly an original tale, but an important corrective nonetheless to the deeply reactionary worldview that has dominated the franchise.

I can’t even argue against the film, I found it so predictable and tedious its almost entirely gone from my memory. :oops:

I can’t even argue against the film, I found it so predictable and tedious its almost entirely gone from my memory. :oops:

Ok, it's a bit derivative but surely JP's performance stayed with you? Much more depth than HL's Joker (who I loved).

Ok, it's a bit derivative but surely JP's performance stayed with you? Much more depth than HL's Joker (who I loved).
I didn't see depth, just revenge movie cliches. Joaquin Phoenix is always good, but this is a role which requires an outlandish one-note performance, which is something I’m not that impressed by. In the best actor race for awards, Antonio Banderas and Adam Driver got more complex roles and got to do far more nuanced work. However the panels always reward the most acting over the best acting so he’ll keep winning those awards.

This is no joke. Good on him and all involved.

He’s a really lovely guy, top bloke. I’ll never forget his Oscars acceptance speech where he made his passionate plea for animal rights, he knew he’d be mocked for it, but did it anyway because he believed it to be right.

Folie a Deux definitely isn't getting much love from critics or fans - I didn't think much of the first one when I finally got around to seeing it but this sounds bonkers enough to be an improvement

Roger Ebert: This is largely a jukebox musical, with selections from The Great American Songbook (“Bewitched, Bothered, and Bewildered”) and ‘60s international pop (“To Love Somebody,” originated by the Bee Gees and further popularized by Janis Joplin) and more. And the best thing I can say about it is that it clearly does not take marketing, as it’s conventionally understood, into consideration.

"it's a musical". WTF.

Yeah, that was the hook that made me want to see it but might wait until streaming now, what with the mixed reviews.

At least the director has tried something a bit different, rather than more of the same.

Plus, musicals are ace.

Back
Top Bottom