Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Joker trailer

Just seen it. It's alright.

It borrows so much from Taxi Driver, King of Comedy and You Were Never Really Here that it's hard to judge it as a film on it's own.

Joaquin Phoenix is brilliant but I'd say he was better in YWNRH and it's hard not to draw comparions between Joe and Joker. I did love the dancing scenes, especially the first one. No idea why there was a cockney midget to laugh at and one of the violent scenes added nothing to the story I thought.

E57-E1-D14-B2-F8-4-A2-C-9-E50-D5-E8-BA2155-F7.jpg

Perhaps DeNiro wasn’t acting and was instructed to simply be himself?

I find the majority of new movies are disappointing to plain shit but Joker is one of the few films I’d actually go to see again at the cinema I thought it was so good.

Has he, or does he just think Trump's a cunt?

I personally don’t care what DeNiro’s opinion is on any subject matter, he a very good actor though.

Regarding DeNiro’s obsession of appearing in the media and first words of ‘fuck Trump’, he just comes across as a boorish oaf.

Just watched it and thought it brilliant ~ Oscar worthy performance from Joaquin Phoenix ~ disturbing, dark and brilliant. As he came down the steps with the Gary Glitter music ~ twisted ~ he was twisted and the music now seems twisted ~ fantastic! And, contrary to recent reports GG gets no royalties.

I got interested in this film because some article said that the key to understanding it was Todd Phillips first film, the documentary about GG Allin "Hated", and that is one of my favourite ever videos... however the article went on to just say they were both shiite so I dunno. I still love "Hated", does that mean I will love this film?

I'm not a fan of the Batman films really...but I think this could be brilliant.

Mayor Wayne and his son Bruce!
Good film, great performance 7/10.
It didn't go the way I was expecting it to go. Loved the clowns on the subway.
Was hit by hearing Jack Bruce towards the end.
Why the bloodied footsteps (we have a theory).

Last edited:
Saw this on Monday and thought it was great. Some really terrible takes from woke liberals about the movie promoting 'white, male entitlement' and conservative hacks saying its a critique of 'antifa violence'. :rolleyes:

Indeed. The analysis of some liberals has been embarrassingly wide of the mark. But these accounts are actually very instructive of their wider mindset, which can be summaries as a) defence of the current established order b) hysterical mischaracterise those opposed to it and c) paint everyone as wanting change as deranged.

The joker furore really does reveal their unspoken concerns that the current system and their (admittedly declining) place in it as the narrating and administration class of it is collapsing.

The analysis that suggests it’s a commentary on Antifa is just pathetic and not worthy of comment

Last edited:
Indeed. The analysis of some liberals has been embarrassingly wide of the mark. But these accounts are actually very instructive of their wider mindset, which can be summaries as a) defence of the current established order b) hysterical mischaracterise those opposed to it and c) paint everyone as wanting change as deranged.

The joker furore really does reveal their unspoken concerns that the current system and their (admittedly declining) place in it as the narrating and administration class of it is collapsing.

The analysis that suggests it’s a commentary on Antifa is just pathetic and not worthy of comment

Reading the different takes on the movie by liberals and rightwing reactionaries has been telling in terms of how much better the right are at culture war politics, and why they’ll always win against the liberals on that terrain. They’re smart enough to realise that the movie has tapped into real anxieties people have about inequality, alienation and loneliness and rather than just pathologising they provide an interpretive framework for explaining it that suits their ideological agendas (e.g globalism, political correctness and so on). They can also point to the liberals jeering as further evidence that they are the one’s trying squash critiques of the status quo and the liberals give them an open goal by responding in the way you describe.

Reading the different takes on the movie by liberals and rightwing reactionaries has been telling in terms of how much better the right are at culture war politics, and why they’ll always win against the liberals on that terrain. They’re smart enough to realise that the movie has tapped into real anxieties people have about inequality, alienation and loneliness and rather than just pathologising they provide an interpretive framework for explaining it that suits their ideological agendas (e.g globalism, political correctness and so on). They can also point to the liberals jeering as further evidence that they are the one’s trying squash critiques of the status quo and the liberals give them an open goal by responding in the way you describe.

Excellent points. It’s possible to construct a genuine left reading of the film as a dark portrayal of the fall out from deindustrialisation, late capitalism and the alienation of the soul of man. I actually started one a few page back but stopped when I realised how pretentious it read.

Both sides in the culture war overlook these fundamental points of course

Last edited:

On the whole the right does a better job of creating a message and then speaking that message with one voice. It may not be the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, but its "their truth."

Watched this last night , and although I wasn't expecting to like it, I was completely engaged with it.
Joaquim Pheonix was outstanding and deserves an Oscar nomination at the the very least.

BUT I'm not really sure if he is the Joker as far as comics go. Heath Ledger still has the crown for me.

Last edited:
E57-E1-D14-B2-F8-4-A2-C-9-E50-D5-E8-BA2155-F7.jpg

Perhaps DeNiro wasn’t acting and was instructed to simply be himself?

I find the majority of new movies are disappointing to plain shit but Joker is one of the few films I’d actually go to see again at the cinema I thought it was so good.
That's fake though, account doesn't exist. (not your fault it's a snip)

Also...am I the only one to...
. see an awful lot of Robin Williams in Phoenix's joker?

Yes, its his laugh.

Robin Williams was in the casting mix for both the Joker and the Riddler in previous films, but the director in each case decided to go with Nicholson and Carrey instead.

Last edited:
Just saw it and thought the cinematography was fantastic, the score was superb and the performance from Phoenix was excellent but I thought the pacing was a weird. It built it up really well but then it kinda jolted forward a bit too quickly. It's very Taxi Driver/King of Comedy esque which is fine in my book but I can certainly see why it's been rather polarising. I also felt like it was a lot longer than it actually was.

We’ve just got back from watching this. Joaquin Phoenix has to get an Oscar for this performance. He was outstanding. Great film but I’m not a massive fan of violence so I spent much of it cringing in my seat.

Back
Top Bottom