Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Joker trailer

Well, it's dark, that's for sure. Possibly the darkest DC adaptation I've seen. And Phoenix is sensational and the least showiest incarnation of the Joker yet. Not only do we get the obvious Scorsese influences but possibly a bit of Falling Down? Also, nice to see Atlanta's Zazie Beetz and Brian Tyree Henry.

One problem I had was
the depiction of protesters but the elite don't come out of it looking great, either. Wayne is a prick.

I’ve just watched it. I thought it was magnificent.
The unraveling and coming apart of a deindustrialised city, society and a person was utterly immersive. It’s brilliantly filmed and scored. Phoenix is superb and, given I don’t normally make much of this genre, I’m amazed how much I liked it.

A post industrial nightmare. Dark, violent, tense as fuck and political. In the key scene the Joker’s social worker says: ‘they don’t give a shit about people like you, and they don’t give a shit about people like me’

I’ve just watched it. I thought it was magnificent.
The unraveling and coming apart of a deindustrialised city, society and a person was utterly immersive. It’s brilliantly filmed and scored. Phoenix is superb and, given I don’t normally make much of this genre, I’m amazed how much I liked it.

A post industrial nightmare. Dark, violent, tense as fuck and political. In the key scene the Joker’s social worker says: ‘they don’t give a shit about people like you, and they don’t give a shit about people like me’
How would you answer the criticism leveled at it that it's a rallying call for incels Smokeandsteam ?

All my kids are gutted because Mummy hadn't realised it was a 15 oops

I'm thinking that will add to the movie.

How would you answer the criticism leveled at it that it's a rallying call for incels Smokeandsteam ?

The film is, at its core, about the collective disintegration of a capitalist society - mental, political, cultural and social.

So I can see how’s it’s possible to construct that argument, but I’d suggest it’s one that’s badly wide of the mark. If anything it’s more a commentary on how capitalism provokes a collective and deep mental health crisis. Have you got a link to an article or review that adopts an ‘incel rallying call’ reading of the film?

I think Stephanie Zacharek at Time was one of the critics Phillips took exception to.

the movie lionizes and glamorizes Arthur even as it shakes its head, faux-sorrowfully, over his violent behavior. There’s an aimless subplot involving a neighbor in Arthur’s apartment building, played by Zazie Beetz, in an underdeveloped role. ... Arthur has a crush on her, and though he does her no harm, there’s still something creepily entitled about his attentiveness to her. He could easily be adopted as the patron saint of incels.

https://time.com

But it sounds like Anthony Lane at the New Yorker might be nearer the mark.

“Joker” is not a great leap forward, or a deep dive into our collective unconscious, let alone a work of art. It’s a product. All the pre-launch rumblings, the rants and the raves, testify to a cunning provocation, and, if we yield to it, we’re not joining a debate; we’re offering our services, unpaid, to the marketing department at Warner Bros.

Todd Phillips’s “Joker” Is No Laughing Matter

That was magnificent, I have to go back and watch it again.

I have stuff to say about the response to the film but they're just looking for the spotlight so nah.

Joachim absolutely deserves an Oscar for this, Ledger can rest in peace because someone has taken the torch. The people that have made this film have stretched the superhero/villain universe, challenged it.

Incredible.

I'm not a fan of the Batman films really...but I think this could be brilliant.

The problem with Batman is that he is a fundamentally boring character, as well as the whole fascist wank fantasy thing he has going on. The villains have always been much more interesting. Jaoquins performance looks like it will be a classic.

This looks fantastic. The trailers, 5* reviews and marketing have thoroughly whetted my appetite. My girlfriend, who is utterly against action movies on general principle, is gonna watch it with me on Monday. I don't think either of us will be disappointed.

The problem with Batman is that he is a fundamentally boring character, as well as the whole fascist wank fantasy thing he has going on. The villains have always been much more interesting. Jaoquins performance looks like it will be a classic.

This looks fantastic. The trailers, 5* reviews and marketing have thoroughly whetted my appetite. My girlfriend, who is utterly against action movies on general principle, is gonna watch it with me on Monday. I don't think either of us will be disappointed.
You can tell her it's not an action movie.

Yeah, just to be clear I wasn't claiming it was that kind of film; I'd just seen it described as such on links on this thread and wanted an opinion from urbz who have seen it.

It’s a thriller of sorts.

Not an action film or in any sense a superhero film.

It’s a treatise on subjectivity and the subjective nature of reality.

It isn’t a rallying call to incels. It might be a rallying call to the poor.

If you wanted to theorise it you could write it as a Mark Fisher type ‘ghosts of my life’ examination of capitalism and the soul of humanity. A society haunted by a cancelled future. But a) I don’t think that’s what Todd Philips intends and b) it would be a bit pretentious. However, it’s a better reading of it than accounts that suggest it’s some sort of incel promo

No idea how the incel critique comes in, unless you link it to

Arthur’s non existent relationship with neighbour

Possibly not the film to perk me up on a Saturday afternoon.
I found a fair bit of it clunky and obvious.
But as per usual Phoenix is spell binding (if disturbing)

Recommended but I wouldn’t take your PoF date to watch it

I haven't even seen the trailer and I think it's going to be shit.

I also suspect I'm going to find the portrayal of the joker from a mental health point of view deeply offensive. I've heard the clip from from the trailer where he says "all I have are negative thoughts". Well, I know how that feels, but you don't catch me turning into an anti-hero psychopath. I'm surprised more hasn't been made of this.

I haven’t seen the trailer but my take regarding mental disorder was positive - well in the way that people have to work harder to function which is exhausting.

I haven't even seen the trailer and I think it's going to be shit.

I also suspect I'm going to find the portrayal of the joker from a mental health point of view deeply offensive. I've heard the clip from from the trailer where he says "all I have are negative thoughts". Well, I know how that feels, but you don't catch me turning into an anti-hero psychopath. I'm surprised more hasn't been made of this.

Try watching the fucking thing before getting offended by it:D:D

Try watching the fucking thing before getting offended by it:D:D
I've seen other Batman films. I know the deal with the joker. The basic plot of the film is that an ordinary person has a mental illness and becomes The Joker. Try telling me how that's particularly different to "knife-wielding schizophrenic" headlines.

I've seen other Batman films. I know the deal with the joker. The basic plot of the film is that an ordinary person has a mental illness and becomes The Joker. Try telling me how that's particularly different to "knife-wielding schizophrenic" headlines.

Fuck off and watch the fillum :D

I'm not giving them a penny.

Well I gave them 19 quid and they gave me a film. Some popcorn and two bottles of doombar

The mental health aspects of jokers life seemed to be dealt with reasonably/sympathetically enough not to offend me

Caveat I’m not Mark Kermode, Aaron T Beck or the DMS-5

No idea how the incel critique comes in, unless you link it to

Arthur’s non existent relationship with neighbour
/QUOTE]
Spot on. But if you come away from the film thinking that the spoiler you’ve highlighted is the meta narrative of the film then you haven’t been paying much attention

Back
Top Bottom