Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Joker trailer

Well, that was dark. I think its the darkest DC project ever and it doesn't feel like a "comic book movie" in any way shape and form. It feels more like a thriller that dissects the main character coming apart at the seems. It reminded me more of Falling Down than anything else, except it didn't puss-out with the ending. It followed Arthur to the cold, gruesome end (or beginning, however you see it).

I don't think it was a "rallying cry for fascism", if anything it was anti-fascist in that it pretty much takes down post-industrial society. Remember that Batman has always been the rallying cry for authoritarianism. Its a gimme to portray the Joker as a foil to that. There's a scene where the joker says "If I were the one lying dead on the ground, you'd step right over my body." And, in that moment, you know he's speaking the truth. Overall, this was well done. The pacing was one of the best I've seen in a modern movie. It starts out really slow with building character development. Then, it ups the pace about every fifteen minutes to the last blazing 10 minutes.

And you know what I found most disturbing? It was that I wasn't allowed to take my purse into the theater. No costumes were allowed and anyone with a hoodie over their head had to remove it. There was a cop in the theater during the entire show. Now and then, he'd pop out and look the crowd over. Every theater in town had an armed cop guarding it. If you want a sign that post-industrial society is doomed. That might be it.

Did anyone else pick a seat near an exit?

Last edited:
I haven't even seen the trailer and I think it's going to be shit.

I also suspect I'm going to find the portrayal of the joker from a mental health point of view deeply offensive. I've heard the clip from from the trailer where he says "all I have are negative thoughts". Well, I know how that feels, but you don't catch me turning into an anti-hero psychopath. I'm surprised more hasn't been made of this.

Everyone knows how that feels.

Well, that was dark. I think its the darkest DC project ever and it doesn't feel like a "comic book movie" in any way shape and form. It feels more like a thriller that dissects the main character coming apart at the seems. It reminded me more of Falling Down than anything else, except it didn't puss-out with the ending. It followed Arthur to the cold, gruesome end (or beginning, however you see it).

I don't think it was a "rallying cry for fascism", if anything it was anti-fascist in that it pretty much takes down post-industrial society. Remember that Batman has always been the rallying cry for authoritarianism. Its a gimme to portray the Joker as a foil to that. There's a scene where the joker says "If I were the one lying dead on the ground, you'd step right over my body." And, in that moment, you know he's speaking the truth. Overall, this was well done. The pacing was one of the best I've seen in a modern movie. It starts out really slow with building character development. Then, it ups the pace about every fifteen minutes to the last blazing 10 minutes.

And you know what I found most disturbing? It was that I wasn't allowed to take my purse into the theater. No costumes were allowed and anyone with a hoodie over their head had to remove it. There was a cop in the theater during the entire show. Now and then, he'd pop out and look the crowd over. Every theater in town had an armed cop guarding it. If you want a sign that post-industrial society is doomed. That might be it.

Did anyone else pick a seat near an exit?
No. I and my colleague took a couple of dozen teenagers and their safety didn’t occur to me at all.

Harder to massacre a cinema audience without firearms.

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I have seen the grim pictures of what the theatres were like opening day in the US.
6757-E248-2-F01-481-C-8-F04-83-B99-BC4-A300.jpg EF_g6-4X0AA13sC.jpg EF_ODLyXYAEQU5V.jpg
The Sinclair local news has been talking about all the "concerns" about shooters at the opening for this movie every damn day for weeks, I didn't realize it was going to result in this though. Usually the ambiance of a film doesn't start until you're inside the theatre.

Michael Moore's take on it

“On Wednesday night I attended the New York Film Festival and witnessed a cinematic masterpiece, the film that last month won the top prize as the Best Film of the Venice International Film Festival. It’s called ‘Joker’ — and all we Americans have heard about this movie is that we should fear it and stay away from it. We’ve been told it’s violent and sick and morally corrupt — an incitement and celebration of murder. We’ve been told that police will be at every screening this weekend in case of ‘trouble.’ Our country is in deep despair, our constitution is in shreds, a rogue maniac from Queens has access to the nuclear codes — but for some reason, it’s a movie we should be afraid of."

More here

Michael Moore Calls ‘Joker’ a Masterpiece: ‘The Greater Danger to Society May Be If You Don’t See This Movie’

His character is kind of child like, mind. I'm also reminded of Gus Van Sant's To Die For (from nearly 25 years ago!!!) with Nicole Kidman and an early role for JP.
I did not know he made a film with Joaquim? I will have to look that up. Thx :)
My Own Private Idaho is one of my favourites

ETA - a quick google reminded me of the film. That I have seen lol. Hadn't remembered Joaquim in it. Will have to watch again. Thx again it's a bloody funny movie and the reminder is great

The hysteria around the film is well clockwork

A young man who was loudly cheering and applauding on-screen murders sent some people heading toward exits in a crowded theater in Manhattan's Times Square on Friday night. Other patrons yelled at the man, who spit on them as they left early, said Nathanael Hood, who was in the theater.

Man loudly cheering on-screen murders in 'Joker' NY screening sends many to exit

I had to stifle a cheer during that scene when I saw this last night.

Cracking film. Could of done without the Gary glitter tune though.

I had to stifle a cheer during that scene when I saw this last night.

Cracking film. Could of done without the Gary glitter tune though.

I’m not super sensitive but that did jar me Slightly in an “Oh hello, what’s that about” manner. When everything in A film is there for a reason is it possible they missed the Gary Glitter connection....not sure they could do what did that reflect/mean/signal

I mean it's not bad, and as everyone says the central performance is spot on. I just personally found it a bit dull and nothing in it was shocking or surprising.

In other words, ‘meh’ - the stock Urban response to any work of art receiving critical acclaim. Not saying you’re wrong btw, I reserve judgment until I’ve seen it!

I’m not super sensitive but that did jar me Slightly in an “Oh hello, what’s that about” manner. When everything in A film is there for a reason is it possible they missed the Gary Glitter connection....not sure they could do what did that reflect/mean/signal

That tune is massive in the states, played at lots of sporting events when teams come out, game is about to begin etc....

I think it was used in that sense, it marks the start of Jokers game, he's on the pitch, ready to play....

I doubt many Americans know much about Gary Glitter, Rock n Roll Pt 2 was his only hit there, his albums never charted there, and he only had one other single get into the top 40. I suspect they don't have much knowledge of his dirty deeds.

It took a while, but the song is fading away - the NFL banned it in 2006, and NHL teams have been dropping it after fan complaints. That New Yorker reviewer sees its use in 'Joker' as more evidence that the controversy is a marketing ploy.

Do you believe that the decision to revive it, for “Joker,” is anything but a studied choice, nicely crafted to offend? Please.

One for the (comic) book wankers out there - how close is the movie to the Joker origins story part of The Killing Joke? Heard that it's pretty much considered canon in the batman comics, and has good pedigree with Alan Moore on writing duty. Wondering if it's one to pick up...

Back
Top Bottom