Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

John Mearsheimer on Liberal Hegemony

There is no great conspiranoid theory behind this. I am interested in what people think of it. Like, debate and stuff. ;)

There is no great conspiranoid theory behind this. I am interested in what people think of it. Like, debate and stuff. ;)

I fear your faith in human nature is about to be severely tested.

Having said that, I admire Mearsheimer a great deal, and I agree that everyone should read him.

Posted on the other thread, but an IR paper was published (open access) today that says this Mearsheimer guy is full of shit. A summary available here:

Full paper here:

Posted on the other thread, but an IR paper was published (open access) today that says this Mearsheimer guy is full of shit.

So you found an article that disagrees with him. Well done. Now why don't you read the man himself, and tell us your own opinion?

Protag phildwyer

Fuck me, there's two of them
Pressed 'like' while meaning to just reply to the post.

Mearsheimer or not, the liberal hegemony, largely imaginary in the first place, is clearly over. How anybody can argue to the contrary is beyond me. At the very moment the liberal hegemony was announced the world had already started moving in the opposite direction.

Mearsheimer or not, the liberal hegemony, largely imaginary in the first place, is clearly over. How anybody can argue to the contrary is beyond me. At the very moment the liberal hegemony was announced the world had already started moving in the opposite direction.

Lib Heg is definitely looking a bit threadbare, but there's considerable life in the old dog yet. And it doesn't look like it's going to go quietly....

They come in threes.

Righto, but you reappeared a few weeks ago to defend Russell Brand. You must understand that makes it hard to set much store by who you consider important.
Mearscheimer is right wing and advocates more conflict with China-a conflict in which he thinks Russia should be on the US's side. As somebody said, he doesn't see any advantage in bombs falling on Ukraine, but, like many others, he has no qualms about bombing some other poor fuckers if he sees it necessary.

He has consistently pointed out that the Russians inevitably won't like the eastward expansion of NATO. And here they are not liking it every single day. And Ukraine is ruined.

Is he bollocks. People these days just use the term "right wing " for anyone they dislike.
I do think he'd regard himself as politically on the right. However, many points made once made by the left are now being made by some maverick right-wingers, albeit from a different motivation. This is especially the case regarding stuff like military conflict arising, as with Ukraine, from ill-conceived and utterly cynical motives

I do think he'd regard himself as politically on the right. However, many points made once made by the left are now being made by some maverick right-wingers, albeit from a different motivation. This is especially the case regarding stuff like military conflict arising, as with Ukraine, from ill-conceived and utterly cynical motives
I've no idea what his motives are; I'm interested in his ideas. And I don't care whether he's labeled "left" or "right wing, " in fact I think those labels are obsolete.

Sorry I have had ownlife issues to solve. I'm here again.

My main issue with Mearsheimer's theory (as far as I understand it) is that imperialism is somehow 'built-in' to liberalism, because liberals believe in universal human rights.

I think he is mixing up propaganda and truth here - liberal imperialists do conflate these, but it simply does not follow that one follows the other. A liberal state might choose to leave others alone.

Imperialists could use any ideology and force it onto others, primarily for the sake of its own interest (to create client states, and to prevent alternative ideologies acting against it).

I would put it differently in terms of understanding US behaviour: all states that gain power are afraid to lose it. The monstrous amount of power that the US gained after the Cold War was not predicted. But once it happened, the US wanted to prevent losing it.

Back
Top Bottom