Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

John-Paul Sartre

Thats another wonderful post. I am inspired! I am going to get a Beret and a pipe and start saying Daddio all the time.
Well steady on there — that particular post relates to ideas that post-date Sartre.

He's a published author and His son is a fairly well known figure.
If you mean the Christian bible. It was written by men. In fact Jesus was dead when it was written and he never knew anything about it.

If he'd been born a generation earlier, he would have been a Jesuit.

And Simone would have been a nun in one of those teaching orders that specialize in posh girls' schools.

The Society of Jesus was founded during the Counter-Reformation to be the intellectual shock-troops of our dear mother church. My post was intended to suggest that JPS' intellectual talents would have found a home there, had he been born earlier than he was. And the same for SdeB, though as a woman in the church, her options would have been more limited.

The Society of Jesus was founded during the Counter-Reformation to be the intellectual shock-troops of our dear mother church. My post was intended to suggest that JPS' intellectual talents would have found a home there, had he been born earlier than he was. And the same for SdeB, though as a woman in the church, her options would have been more limited.
In reality, if they were born then, all their faculties and character creating social experiences would have made them much different people. In my opinion the thought that you post is null.

While it's an intrinsic part of their work, worth saying that both Sartre and Camus are enjoyable to read if you don't have any interest in their philosophy (or, like me, you have no background or especial interest in philosophy).

The Age of Reason and L'Etranger both stand up as great works of literature.
I always reckon that The Stranger/Outsider is over-rated (or maybe the translation's just crap, but what it means to read stuff in translation is a whole other philosophical question), but The Plague is gold imo.
I loved The Reprieve also, but agree that Iron in the Soul is dark / harrowing. Some of the best writing about France 1938-40.
Yeah, bits of Iron in the Soul stick in my head years and years after I read it, can't really remember much about the Reprieve though. I should probably try re-reading the whole trilogy one day. As someone who recently re-read Intimacy, that's good as well. Would also recommend de Beauvoir's The Mandarins as a book dealing with the immediate post-war period - I can't think of much else that deals with living in a country that was occupied by the nazis, and some people resisted, and some people very much did not resist, and then it's over and for the most part you just have to find ways of living in the same country together.

I can't think of much else that deals with living in a country that was occupied by the nazis, and some people resisted, and some people very much did not resist, and then it's over and for the most part you just have to find ways of living in the same country together.
If you can get hold of it, I'd recommend Le premier accroc coûte 200 francs by Elsa Triolet. (I had a copy in English which I lent someone and never got back. :rolleyes: Think it was Virago.)

Sartre's essay Existentialism is a Humanism could be a good place to start if you haven't already read it .I believe it is the most widely read piece he ever turned out.It is interesting and pithy .

Sartre's essay Existentialism is a Humanism could be a good place to start if you haven't already read it .I believe it is the most widely read piece he ever turned out.It is interesting and pithy .
Je vous remercie Duncan2, I shall research that one later on. I am looking also at ordering a book called - Introducing Existentialism : A graphic guide by Appignanesi - which I can get for around £3.

Oh, and I suppose there's Modiano as well, but he was born in 1945 and so is writing about all that from a very different perspective.
Le premier accroc coûte deux francs, the first hitch costs two francs. Thats a very illusive book. A quick search and its only explained on wiki en francaise!

It is available on Ebay. There is a version available that has a cover photo of an iron chair placed on a gravel floor, and in the background there seems to be but maybe not, more chairs on the gravel. That is speaking to me hehe. I might send for that one later on in the week.
- is a 1946 work by the philosopher Jean-Paul Sartre, based on a lecture by the same name he gave at Club Maintenant in Paris, on 29 October 1945.
The summary of the book is very profound!

He lobbied the French government to legalise sex acts with minors and exonerate nonces. So there's that.

Find a cafe with a cobbled street outside, go there on a rainy day and sit there smoking a Gauloise staring moodily out the window. Saves reading anything.
The best time to read Sartre is in your twenties. You can pick up Being and Nothingness, spend a week on the first chapter and then put it aside, having understood fuck all, but at least you made the effort. You never have to touch the book again, but it's wise to keep it on your bookshelf as it might impress potential girlfriends, especially if Humanities students/ex-students. You do this even if you change addresses a lot. You find the novels better. You are entertained by them, and impressed by the writing. But you still come away thinking that you've understood very little. Soon after this, you realise it doesn't matter but that you've learned enough to bullshit about it all, which is good enough.

Decades pass. You've still got the books on your shelves after having packed them into cardboard boxes or bin bags in several or many house moves. Every now and then you find yourself looking at the titles on the spines and thinking you ought to give them another go. Along with loads of other stuff you've still got. Then you crack open a beer and go and watch an old episode of Crimewatch on Youtube. Or summat. With a vague sense of defeat that you find it hard to any longer care about. But you still know everything, and, now being an old cunt, can patronise younger people (while pretending not to.) You can even remember enough, if vaguely, to be able to lecture them on Sartre. If they haven't heard of him, you can introduce him in the context of a political/philosophical discussion at, say, a barbeque (where these things come up as a matter of course...)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom