Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Sexual Liberation and/or Capitalist Assimilation ?

Interesting you should mention that, when I was looking up the mistletoe shagger to remind myself exactly why I dislike him I found he'd written a review of that book slagging it off for that shitty alt-centrist Compact mag:
Wildermuth vs Lewis is a proper plague on both their houses one for me, but I reckon Wildermuth is probably a fair bit thicker than her, even if his prose style is a tiny bit less obnoxious.
Whats the case against sophie lewis?

i cant keep up on all these people, so glad urban hive mind does

as an aside i heard someone make the fair point recently that the use of the word "abolition" puts a lot of people off ideas that in fact are far more nuanced and multilayered - see abolish police/prisons, family, and state (monarchy remains though ;) ). Abolish the family appears to be much more about widening the circle of care than anything else, but if you just read the title its easy to misconstrue.
Yeah, you'd hope that someone writing an entire article about a book would engage a bit beyond the title but I'm not sure Wildermuth really has there.
Whats the case against sophie lewis?
Everyone needs to have a few vague long-running grudges whose bitterness is in no way affected by an inability to remember how they started, and Lewis is one of mine. I think her article on Haraway definitely wound me up a bit, it's full of stuff like "She seems to be grimacing in the face of such categories, following Medusa – a practice of reflecting back and splintering chauvinist epistemes which she calls “diffraction.” The figure of the cyborg turns the marginality of “queer” on its head, taking for granted that proletarian monsters under fire from transphobia and antiblackness are powerful recombinant operatives... As Haraway’s concern makes clear, far from representing an aestheticized apocalyptic ideal for the Anthropocene, the cyborg is a multiply colonized test-subject, situated squarely in the Capitalocene."

"...she seems to be grimacing in the face of such categories, following Medusa – a practice of reflecting back and splintering chauvinist epistemes which she calls “diffraction.” The figure of the cyborg turns the marginality of “queer” on its head, taking for granted that proletarian monsters under fire from transphobia and antiblackness are powerful recombinant operatives... As Haraway’s concern makes clear, far from representing an aestheticized apocalyptic ideal for the Anthropocene, the cyborg is a multiply colonized test-subject, situated squarely in the Capitalocene."

This is brilliant. :D

This is brilliant. :D
In fact, the Cyborg Manifesto (as it soon came to be known) expressed a dream of a politics neither of repudiation nor exodus but rather – as she put it – faithful irony (i.e. blasphemy) vis-à-vis heteropatriarchal racial technocapitalism. I mean, who among us has never dreamt of a politics neither of repudiation nor exodus but rather faithful irony vis-à-vis heteropatriarchal racial technocapitalism?

i cant keep up on all these people, so glad urban hive mind does

as an aside i heard someone make the fair point recently that the use of the word "abolition" puts a lot of people off ideas that in fact are far more nuanced and multilayered - see abolish police/prisons, family, and state (monarchy remains though ;) ). Abolish the family appears to be much more about widening the circle of care than anything else, but if you just read the title its easy to misconstrue.
Very good point.

I have no interest in abolishing anyone's heterosexual family, I just want my 'pretended family' to be acknowledged when it comes to negotiating my future care needs.

Must say I've spent the afternoon negotiating exactly this with my local authority. As they have never had to legally acknowledge LGBTQ+ care needs they are on the back foot when it comes to catering to our needs in statutory services.

as an aside i heard someone make the fair point recently that the use of the word "abolition" puts a lot of people off ideas that in fact are far more nuanced and multilayered - see abolish police/prisons, family, and state

and an easily available cudgel for rightwingers. accusations about so-n-so "wanting to" "defund the police" have been put to baleful use over here at election time and on the internet every day.

Last edited:
Talking about overthrowing capitalism seems like such youthful idealism, that I can't imagine how it will happen.
It does seem like naive youthful idealism now - but in the 70's it did feel for some of us that radical change could be posible.
JL in video about Brixton Faeries squats said - " we thought revolution was just around the corner "
Those radical aims of gay pioneers has got lost......and/or defeated
And maybe not surprisingly " its easier for many people to believe in the end of the world , rather than the end of capitalism "

It does seem like naive youthful idealism now - but in the 70's it did feel for some of us that radical change could be posible.
JL in video about Brixton Faeries squats said - " we thought revolution was just around the corner "
Those radical aims of gay pioneers has got lost......and/or defeated
And maybe not surprisingly " its easier for many people to believe in the end of the world , rather than the end of capitalism "

Yes I think capitalism is indeed the cause of the end of the world. Gobbling up the earth's resources at a ridiculous and ever increasing rate just to sell rubbish to us that ends up polluting the world.

I think the 'green' movement is where revolution is now. It is anti capitalist but not class based. Groups like Extinct Rebellion or just stop oil trying to change public thinking.

Back
Top Bottom