Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Joey Barton Talks With Hilarious French Accent After Debut For Marseille

I have to confess that when I was younger I had a tendency to pick up on other people's accents when I was talking to them, but that is mad.
But then you get those people who wake up speaking in a different accent...

"Foreign accent syndrome"

According to his twitter he wasn't taking the piss. Just making it easier for local journos to understand.

:D

An old housemate of mine did this. He phoned home after three weeks travelling in Italy and had a cod Italian accent and... er... struggled for ...the right... er... word.

He really didn't seem to know he was doing it at all. We kept asking him to call back next week to see how he was progressing.

When I was really young i remember some guy came back to our hardass estate in Norn Iron after two weeks working in London and he had the makings of a mockney accent. He literally got chased out of town.

According to his twitter he wasn't taking the piss. Just making it easier for local journos to understand.

Ah... A pal of mine from deepest Tulse Hill went over to Italy and married a local lass. He learned to speak Italian pretty fast, but he refused to adopt an Italian accent cos it felt like he was putting it on. Few years later, he was talking Italian with a perfect local accent cos otherwise no-one could understand a word he said with his Sarf Lahndon delivery of Italian words.

And when I'm in the Deep South visiting my family there, I find that I drop very quickly into the slow undulating rhythm of the local accent even though I'm still talking in my normal London English. They can't understand anything I say If I talk normal :D

I once knew a French bloke who learned to speak English in Glasgow... wierdest accent in the world, he had.

T'was odder than that of the Hamburg bloke who learned English in Norn Iron.

When I moved to Barcelona, my Aussie girlfriend did this. I found it utterly cringe worthy. However she picks up languages very quickly and looking back I now think that getting pronunciation and flow right is a big part of that. I suppose a good method would be to mimick the locals you speak too - even in English.

My po-faced self on the other hand struggled immensely.

I have a friend who's originally from Bavaria, learnt her English in Dublin and spent quite a few years in Edinburgh. Now that's an accent.

My housemate's a Romanian who learned English working in Northern Ireland :D It's beautifully bizarre - he swears like a Derry roofer.

I think we need to hear him speaking French ...

He's been taking daily french lessons. Claims he'll be fluent by the new year.

His twitter feed is very funny. He had a major rant a couple of months ago about being referred to in the media as 'Joey' rather than 'Joseph'. Days before launching www.joeybarton.com.

he's a prize tit. but somehow entertaining.

I got told I was talking in tones when talking to a Chinese guy by my friends from back home. It's weird because the thing I find hardest about Mandarin is using the tones :rolleyes:

I was saying 'innit' and 'd'ya know what ah mean?' within months of moving to the uk. not intentionally. just kept popping out.

i also sub-consciously modulate my vowels as my kiwi accent wasn't being understood when i first got here and was living amongst rafts of foreigners.

I got told I was talking in tones when talking to a Chinese guy by my friends from back home. It's weird because the thing I find hardest about Mandarin is using the tones :rolleyes:
I've heard an American bloke speak who is the son of leftists who came here to 'build the revolution' and so grew up on a commune in rural Shaanxi - his English accent was for a long time like a lot of other older Chinese learners and he used to get complaints off students he taught economics to back in the US that they couldn't understand him. His Chinese accent is pure West Country too.

When I was a kid a mate of mine went to Leeds for a week to meet some relatives who had come to visit from the US, he came back with an American accent.

My daughters boyfriend has an MA in Engineering and talks to me as though he is a cross between Ian Brown and Ally G. When I first met him he congratulated me on my music collection and talked to me about Karl Marx and Jack Kerouac , I had to tell him that he was supposed to be impressing her not me.

My mother was born in deepest Hindoostan, the daughter of a Peruvian missionary and an Afghani abattoir worker. As soon as she was "of age" she came to England via the Orient and the Dutch Antilles. Once here she learned the language from a blind Geordie dock worker who, himself, had spent ten years as the chief librarian of the "Bibliotheque De Roi" in Paris.

Now THAT's an accent.

Back
Top Bottom