Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Jeremy Corbyn's time is up

That said, if I could convince them to get me an Uber, I could probably sell that to the Graun as a front page story and get my £10 back again. Free trip into town.

Andy Burnham's emailed to say that if I donate £10 to the Labour campaign, I could win a trip to Manchester to see Jeremy Corbyn.

Andy mate, I can get the tram for £3.60.
Is the Manc tram system that expensive?

Well lah-di-dah. Who knew that London would have better transport options? Don't have an intangible NORTHERN POWERHOUSE to dream of though do you.
Yeah, but seriously £3.60...is that a single? fucksake that's steep if it is.

Yeah, but seriously £3.60...is that a single? fucksake that's steep if it is.
Depends where you live and are going, doesn't it. 60 something miles of track. As a guide, £7 travelcard, £5 offpeak, £3.80 return to go about 4 miles. And £10 with probably less explaining to do if you win the Labour Party draw which seems like a bargain in retrospect.

its t £1.60 in Edinburgh, unless you want to go to the airport where the final 1/2 mile puts it up to £5.50

day ticket that also works on buses (v good value)£4

Depends where you live and are going, doesn't it. 60 something miles of track. As a guide, £7 travelcard, £5 offpeak, £3.80 return to go about 4 miles. And £10 with probably less explaining to do if you win the Labour Party draw which seems like a bargain in retrospect.
tbf, ours is much smaller; just 17 miles track. So a return trip of 4 miles on ours would be £3 (with Oyster/contactless) so not as great a difference after all.
e2a: but ours is one zone/flat rate...so you could (theoretically) do the 17 mile (possibly much longer with connecting, inclusive valid bus routes) return for £3 as well.

tbf, ours is much smaller; just 17 miles track. So a return trip of 4 miles on ours would be £3 (with Oyster/contactless) so not as great a difference after all.
e2a: but ours is one zone/flat rate...so you could (theoretically) do the 17 mile (possibly much longer with connecting, inclusive valid bus routes) return for £3 as well.
Well done until I posted this you had made the most boring post on the thread.

No one has said Labour governments don't have their own policies, e.g. introducing h.e. tuition fees, invading Iraq, introducing criminalisation/ulsterisation into the six counties: but also attacking pfi while in opposition and then massively expanding it in government. The continuities between tory and labour governments are more striking than the changes.

And yet tory administrations are far worse.

http://www.economicshelp.org/wp-con...oads/2012/05/g-spending-percent-gpd-96-14.png

Labour - NHS funding as % of GDP doubled between 1997 and 2009 to 8.8%. Under the tories it’ll be down to 6.6% again by 2020.
Social care budget since last Labour government cut by £4.6 billion.
Labour University fees: £3225 pa. Tories: £9000 pa and now set to rise with inflation.
Education funding to be cut by 7% per pupil by 2020.

You might not find these differences “striking”, but in reality they make a profound difference to the lives of millions of people.

More in common than in difference though and it's not like those Labour govts did great by the NHS, internal markets, loads more admin, foundation hospitals etc, setting up for the tory reforms under Lansley. It's not that I disagree that the marginal difference is a difference worth having, but it's not worth spending the time/energy pushing for it, when that time/energy could be spent getting something much, much further away. Whether Corbyn is the right person to carry the Labour party back that way idk but at least it's the right direction, and none of the other candidates for leadership offer anything close.
Anyway to me it says that politically speaking it'd be better to continue to work outside of the labour party - if a social democratic labour party is currently unelectable, then we need to change the conditions surrounding electoral politics so that such policies/party is electable.

But of course it’s worth spending time and energy pushing for a Labour government because that’s the only way we can get rid of the tories and save essential services. How many generations will have to wait for some fantasy alternative to turn up?

How do you propose to "change the conditions surrounding electoral politics so that such policies/party is electable"? What does that actually mean??

Labour might be ‘heading in the right direction’ under Corbyn if their goal is stay in perpetual opposition, but for people who won’t be able to do things like boost their kid's education with private tuition or afford the spiralling cost of being old or disabled, it’s a total fucking disaster.

Has anyone noticed that recent converts to the anti-Corbyn cause are about ten times more annoying than people who have been Blairites for decades?

But of course it’s worth spending time and energy pushing for a Labour government because that’s the only way we can get rid of the tories and save essential services. How many generations will have to wait for some fantasy alternative to turn up?

How do you propose to "change the conditions surrounding electoral politics so that such policies/party is electable"? What does that actually mean??

Labour might be ‘heading in the right direction’ under Corbyn if their goal is stay in perpetual opposition, but for people who won’t be able to do things like boost their kid's education with private tuition or afford the spiralling cost of being old or disabled, it’s a total fucking disaster.
The problem with this argument is and always has been that they lost under Brown, they lost under Miliband and it's pretty much nailed on that they'd have gone on to lose under Burnham, Cooper, Kendall or Smith too. The choice here is not between winning and losing.

The problem with this argument is and always has been that they lost under Brown, they lost under Miliband and it's pretty much nailed on that they'd have gone on to lose under Burnham, Cooper, Kendall or Smith too. The choice here is not between winning and losing.
Ergo? So where is this leading?

http://www.economicshelp.org/wp-con...oads/2012/05/g-spending-percent-gpd-96-14.png

Labour - NHS funding as % of GDP doubled between 1997 and 2009 to 8.8%. Under the tories it’ll be down to 6.6% again by 2020.
Labour University fees: £3225 pa. Tories: £9000 pa and now set to rise with inflation.

You might not find these differences “striking”, but in reality they make a profound difference to the lives of millions of people.
next you'll be telling us how it was tories who brought in tuition fees and the terrorism act 2000 etc

Ok I think I get it. The purpose of Jeremy Corbyn is to ensure Labour are defeated so utterly that they cannot cause any more damage.

You forget Kosovo, where uk-led bombing precipitated massacres. But it's ok cos there was a mite more money for the NHS tho so much of it went straight into the hands of pfi-ers :facepalm:

Has anyone noticed that recent converts to the anti-Corbyn cause are about ten times more annoying than people who have been Blairites for decades?
Hertford isn't a recent convert.

He does illustrate the stupidity of the 'we all want the same thing' rubbish though. How do those who want a Corbyn led social democratic Labour party work with those who want to replace Corbyn by someone who's inevitably going to be to the right? And that's before we get on to the those of us that are opposed to the LP altogether

Back
Top Bottom