Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Jeremy Corbyn's time is up

Can Jezza really only fill his shadow cabinet by bringing in the recently ennobled?

He's not exactly replete with high-powered allies, any solid names he can get I'd imagine. Same goes for promoting Abbott when Burnham made his exit, looks to me like it's about making sure the right's got as little influence in top spots as possible. Olive branches are one thing, but the 172 won't get anything vital.

He's not exactly replete with high-powered allies, any solid names he can get I'd imagine. Same goes for promoting Abbott when Burnham made his exit, looks to me like it's about making sure the right's got as little influence in top spots as possible. Olive branches are one thing, but the 172 won't get anything vital.
tbh it's not like the plp is replete with high-powered and/or competent people.

though the way the current mood is most Western Democracies, 'high powered'' ' or conventionally perceived "competent" politicians seem pretty low on voters list of priorities at the moment - if Corbyn and Co took the bull by the horns, pushed CLP democracy onto the agenda, allowed local parties to select the MPs that they wanted to represent their political hopes /aspirations, within 5 years or so, Corbyn / his successor could be drawing on a different pool of PLP 'talent', one that better reflects the grassroots, and we could end up with a shadow ( or actual ) Cabinet that goes some way to the reflecting the people they're meant to be serving. ( eg : would like to see Matt Wrack / FBU in there in the future ) .

(As for Shami / Abbot having to defend their sprogs @ private school when the anti grammar campaign gets going on, + Thornberry shipping hers half way accross London to a selective ... : ( )

He's doing it to his own people - Clive Lewis, a proper Corbyn loyalist, was shad defence secretary and did the job reasonably well and made it very clear it was a job he relished. He had talent, he had credibility, and he was one of Corbyns people. He's been replaced by someone so anonymous that I've forgotten her name after reading it 2 minutes ago.

He's bee shoved over to business, effectively under that non-corbynite Kier Starter at Shadow Brexit.

For those who've lost count, Corbyn is now on his fourth shadow Defence secretary...

So JC has given Abbot and Chakrabarti those jobs for no other reason than to rub other people's noses in it?

What you are suggesting would be the worst kind of tokenism on the part of JC. That he doesn't view these women as having anything to offer other than being women and being Black and Asian?

It's a big claim on your part and a fucking nasty one to boot.

Alternative is what? He thinks Abbott'll do a good job...and it's a sound electoral strategy? Nope. They're just lashing out while they still can. He knows fuckin well how the MoS readers will react when Shami decides a Labour Government would prosecute the army en masse because of..guns....or excessive heteronormativity..or a squaddie looked at her funny, once.

It's a big fuckin wind up...and it'll teach old labour its place and serve them right for being so hideously white.
You seen the papers this morning?...which took me by surprise, btw...CIF has gone all Essex man. Looks like whether or not my suggestion is a) right or b) fuckin offensive, the consequence of what he's done is the same.
Also, is my point offensive because I'm suggesting that party strategists preconsider the effect of race on an electorate or because I'm suggesting Corbyn's doing it? I doubt there'd be any criticism if I cited a few Tory or UKIP dog-whistle stunts from the past few years. Why is it fuckin offensive to suggest Corbyn might pull a reverse dog-whistle manoeuvre for his own devious reasons? And, again, Abbott is a liability and a very poor debater. He's doing nobody any favours with her.

Not impressed with your post at all. If it's a roundabout way of labelling me racist, incidentally, go fuck yourself.

Nope. They're just lashing out while they still can. He knows fuckin well how the MoS readers will react when Shami decides a Labour Government would prosecute the army en masse because of..guns....or excessive heteronormativity..or a squaddie looked at her funny, once.

So JC has given Abbot and Chakrabarti those jobs for no other reason than to rub other people's noses in it?

What you are suggesting would be the worst kind of tokenism on the part of JC. That he doesn't view these women as having anything to offer other than being women and being Black and Asian?

It's a big claim on your part and a fucking nasty one to boot.

Quite right. It's bollocks that it's tokenism. They are his mates was the correct answer, but sometimes that's what's required.

Alternative is what? He thinks Abbott'll do a good job...and it's a sound electoral strategy? Nope. They're just lashing out while they still can. He knows fuckin well how the MoS readers will react when Shami decides a Labour Government would prosecute the army en masse because of..guns....or excessive heteronormativity..or a squaddie looked at her funny, once.

It's a big fuckin wind up...and it'll teach old labour its place and serve them right for being so hideously white.
You seen the papers this morning?...which took me by surprise, btw...CIF has gone all Essex man. Looks like whether or not my suggestion is a) right or b) fuckin offensive, the consequence of what he's done is the same.
Also, is my point offensive because I'm suggesting that party strategists preconsider the effect of race on an electorate or because I'm suggesting Corbyn's doing it? I doubt there'd be any criticism if I cited a few Tory or UKIP dog-whistle stunts from the past few years. Why is it fuckin offensive to suggest Corbyn might pull a reverse dog-whistle manoeuvre for his own devious reasons? And, again, Abbott is a liability and a very poor debater. He's doing nobody any favours with her.

Not impressed with your post at all. If it's a roundabout way of labelling me racist, incidentally, go fuck yourself.

The ex labour now a bit right wing w/c who I know in Essex slagging abbot for her private school hypocrisy not her race.. although it may be a hidden factor for some..they say the same with doreen Lawrence when not speaking out when a white lad gets stabbed...essex also voted pritti patel. Were warsi and javid seen as negative factors by tories when weighing up potential w/c votes..
Don't think ur post is racist at all..but what might Corbyn's devious reasons be?
Thornbury is a liability because of that wvm tweet..will resonate for many for a long time.

The ex labour now a bit right wing w/c who I know in Essex slagging abbot for her private school hypocrisy not her race.. although it may be a hidden factor for some..they say the same with doreen Lawrence when not speaking out when a white lad gets stabbed...essex also voted pritti patel. Were warsi and javid seen as negative factors by tories when weighing up potential w/c votes..
Don't think ur post is racist at all..but what might Corbyn's devious reasons be?
Thornbury is a liability because of that wvm tweet..will resonate for many for a long time.

I think Corbyn's knows he has zero chance electorally.
I think he wants to achieve something with the short window of power he has, albeit as leader of a small and unpopular opposition.
He'll achieve little by acting as a conventional leader of opposition.
More chance to capitalise on the massive (and generally hostile) media scrutiny.
Best way to do so is to pull stunts like appointing Abbott and harnessing the whirlwind to slide through anything he can get away with even if he only gets to highlight and firmly establish Tory abuses rather than reverse them.
He at least gets to do so under full spotlight As long as there's controversy.

I think Corbyn's knows he has zero chance electorally.
I think he wants to achieve something with the short window of power he has, albeit as leader of a small and unpopular opposition.
He'll achieve little by acting as a conventional leader of opposition.
More chance to capitalise on the massive (and generally hostile) media scrutiny.
Best way to do so is to pull stunts like appointing Abbott and harnessing the whirlwind to slide through anything he can get away with even if he only gets to highlight and firmly establish Tory abuses rather than reverse them.
He at least gets to do so under full spotlight As long as there's controversy.
tell you what, why not log off and spend the rest of the afternoon reading about politics so when you return you can have an air of authority rather than a fart of failure about you.

OK. Any suggestions for the reading matter? 'Observer Book of Opposition Tactics'?
ah, george sampson's 1963 book.

perhaps you could simply start with wikipedia's article on the 2015 general election, and explore the history of the labour party perhaps through the same source. when you say things like corbyn is 'leader of a small and unpopular opposition' you don't cover yourself in glory.

tell you what, why not log off and spend the rest of the afternoon reading about politics so when you return you can have an air of authority rather than a fart of failure about you.

Don't worry...got it...'What is to be done" (Lenin's and Chernyshevsky's)

Seems Abbott's the erm...grit in the oyster and I've misread the whole scene. Thanks guru.

ah, george sampson's 1963 book.

perhaps you could simply start with wikipedia's article on the 2015 general election, and explore the history of the labour party perhaps through the same source. when you say things like corbyn is 'leader of a small and unpopular opposition' you don't cover yourself in glory.
And they're polling at what? 23%....think that covers unpopular, frankly.
Small? I even think Wiki could firmly establish that one.

Nah, not really seeing what you're getting at.

And they're polling at what? 23%....think that covers unpopular, frankly.
Small? I even think Wiki could firmly establish that one.

Nah, not really seeing what you're getting at.
a quick google reveals you're rather off the mark.
upload_2016-10-7_13-22-27.png

if you think corbyn's doing so badly why do you think the tories have suddenly started talking about an industrial strategy, ripping it off from er john mcdonnell?

a quick google reveals you're rather off the mark.
View attachment 93569

if you think corbyn's doing so badly why do you think the tories have suddenly started talking about an industrial strategy, ripping it off from er john mcdonnell?

I believe Corbyn and team believe they can win, however, Labour currently have the second worst polling since William Hague was Tory leader.

I don't think he can win but it'll be very interesting to watch.

I'm always a bit unimpressed when a poster under a certain amount of pressure ducks out because they've got to go and do something urgent...but I've just noticed we're right out of those little cocktail umbrellas so I better nash...etc...

Back
Top Bottom