Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Jeremy Corbyn's time is up

the breakdown of the figures doesn't show that either. Mainly 60-40 type margins. Thats a result. Solidly. No point arguing otherwise to salve ones wounds at another victory for St J lol

I suppose its fruitless to speculate on who they'll run next but the name Dan Jarvis has been bandied about on here before :hmm:

Alan Johnson is still alive and still an ex-postman apparently.

60,000 more votes than he got last year. Anti-Corbyn vote went up by 20,000.

Some people may be turning away from him, most are not.

Good way to look at the figures, against my judgement it seems that he is retaining support among old members (anti-Corbyn vote is steady in absolute terms).

Good way to look at the figures, against my judgement it seems that he is retaining support among old members (anti-Corbyn vote is steady in absolute terms).
I'm greedy. I was hoping for a 2:1 majority. But given the shenanigans that have gone on wrt attempting to block new voters, this seems pretty solid.

And it's a clear majority across all three constituencies. Nobody can claim Corbyn's support isn't widely spread across the party.

I'm guessing the GMB coming out against Corbyn didn't have a significant effect on the votes of its members. Corbyn supporters more motivated to turn out.

Anti-Corbyn vote among members dropped by 6809. Bearing in mind that's with a total vote of 285k against 251k (2015) and the overall turnout percentage point increase. And obviously that only includes new members sept-Jan. Smith does seem to have increased absolute numbers of affiliates voting not Corbyn (by about 9000), but that's with a significant increase in affiliate vote overall. Possibly union support etc. He's done 'well' on the registered supporters by getting a massive 30% as opposed to 2015's 16.3%.

It's a very good result for Corbyn, if some way short of the killer blow. If his opponents had got something around 43/44% they'd have had the green light to crank it up, who knows even use the threat of a split to carry the fight on. This probably shuts a few of them up for a bit, brings a few of them into a position where they have to show a nominal loyalty for a few weeks, whilst still briefing against him. What's the next pressure point - council elections next year? Anything other than a clear victory will set them off again. To be honest though the anti-Corbyn lot won't have a clear plan.

Actually, the next couple of weeks would be a good time for an investigative journalist to offer various 'disaffected' Labour right wingers some cash for questions. Push the boat out, see what you can sign them up for - arms dealing, manacles, defoliants...

they must have some strategies prepared surely, Smith was never going to win, this was obvious weeks ago
Maybe. Perhaps they had plans for what to do at various levels of defeat. They might have been hoping for 55-45 overall or, most of all, a victory amongs the members. That would have given them permission - in their minds at least - to carry on regardless, go for broke. 77-25 and they really would have to slink off and console themselves with their money. 62-38 is a very good result for corbyn in the circumstances and, the word I'd go with, deflating for his opponents - not quite the killer blow. Suppose what I mean is, what could they possibly do now, other than some kind of sullen silence, half hearted acceptance of the vote?

Oh, and Man United are 4 - 0 up against Leicester. Just shows what you can do if you drop your leader. :cool:

Maybe. Perhaps they had plans for what to do at various levels of defeat. They might have been hoping for 55-45 overall or, most of all, a victory amongs the members. That would have given them permission - in their minds at least - to carry on regardless, go for broke. 77-25 and they really would have to slink off and console themselves with their money. 62-38 is a very good result for corbyn in the circumstances and, the word I'd go with, deflating for his opponents - not quite the killer blow. Suppose what I mean is, what could they possibly do now, other than some kind of sullen silence, half hearted acceptance of the vote?
true enough, 60k a year for poundshop machiavellis. curse the world. Corbyn spotted whistling this earlier:

You'll soon find out

Back
Top Bottom