Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Jeremy Corbyn's time is up

Personal vote, probably. The winner used to be a councillor for the same ward, lost it in 2012. Now the need to punish the Libdems has receded, people who voted for her in the past probably went back

Good points, and I would imagine that effect is magnified even more when the Labour candidate is not local.

I just got a new membership card for that labour party, so I guess my vote was counted, despite chiding my party local secretary that our leafleting should take leasons from Class War, and Workers Liberty are being far too sensitive about the allegations of antisemitism (I don't need to feel sensitive given my roots here).

Remember votes close on the 21st

Look here if you aren't sure if you have a vote Labour Leadership Election Voting Information

I know, I know, he's not the messiah. He isn't Kinnock or Blair either. A mass labour movement that is united could start to make a differnce. Nothing was built in a day, not even an airfix kit if it deserves painting properly.

Pulled pork is the height of dining excellence in Mosbrough!
It was probably lost to labour due to the anti Libdem feelings following 2010's GE.
Besides 500 approx votes is not what I could call 'crushing'.

Smith said Labour would be entitled to go against the referendum vote because people were lied to

Dimble bum had a sly smirk on his face as the end bit was done. Could just have resting smugface tho

Blower was a very long standing LP Councillor.

"and while our excellent candidate was knocking on doors, trying to get out the vote ..."

Btw, Angela Smith is milking the Momentum Phone bank night incident

Blower was a very long standing LP Councillor.

"and while our excellent candidate was knocking on doors, trying to get out the vote ..."

Btw, Angela Smith is milking the Momentum Phone bank night incident

The anti-Corbynites were posting that picture within seconds of the result. One of the reasons for the pearl clutching apparently was the fact that they were phone canvassing while drinking, something that apparently must never be done. Considering the hysteria over the after work drinks stuff you could be forgiven for being a bit confused as to what approach you are supposed to have to alcohol.

tbh if september doesn't end soon everyones going to be on the suace

Within the Labour Party, with those opposing Corbyn at least, surely everyone already must be? In political history, have so many people ever been so continually outraged and offended by so little for so long?

Note also who is playing the longer game - Burnham and Khan keeping themselves out of the way for now, rising above it all and generally being quiet.

Burnham's got his mayoral thing though. I don't think he's going to want to return to leadership stuff again. Not saying there wasn't anything strategic in him being quiet -- of course there was, he had a mayoral race to win.

I don't know about the others, but Chuckles is currently in heavy schmooze mode with the local constituency party, because he wants to be MP for a new Brixton constituency, post-boundary changes. Currently he values his seat over his ambitions.

The majority of them will follow suit. The ones most likely to resign the whip are those who have a strong relationship with their constituents and can make a case for them voting indie rather than sticking with the LP loyalty. I wonder, then, how much Jess Phillips has been cultivating her relationships with her constituents that she feels so certain she could resign the whip? And I wonder whether she's ever even thought about it in terms of loyalty to the party name.

You only have to look at the fact the seat here has remained staunchly Labour despite the parachuting of Trissy to see it's the party affiliation that matters. There will be exceptions, but they're exceptions that prove the rule.

If Trissy resigned the whip (he won't) he'd lose his seat without a shadow of a doubt. He's likely to anyway because Stoke's almost definitely going to be losing a seat in the boundary review, and I'm reasonably certain he'd be okay with going now his ambitions of front bench-hood have been briefly realised and then potentially taken away for good.

If Joan Whalley was still MP for Stoke North she'd be an example of someone who could potentially risk it (I'm not sure she would have, though, nor that she'd have still won), because she was generally well-liked for helping her constituents locally, but now she's been replaced by Ruth Smeeth...

You keep hearing this nonsense about MPs getting their mandate from the electorate and not the members, but it fundamentally misunderstands the role of party and affiliation/loyalty. 1) it misunderstands the fact that people vote for the party in the main (as explained above) and not for individual MPs; and 2) it misunderstands that with 1 being what it is it's the party selectorate who ultimately give the mandate to a particular MP to represent the party in that seat. Without the party these MPs wouldn't exist, and would certainly have never been elected. Perhaps it should be that the MPs get their mandate from the electorate, but that isn't the reality of party politics.

Are the CLP swallowing it?

Streatham CLP is. The boundary changes are likely to mean that Chuka retains the northern half of Streatham, and takes a bite out of southern and central Brixton too, and it might be a harder sell to the Dulwich & West Norwood CLP, to see a lump of their constituency being nicked.

You only have to look at the fact the seat here has remained staunchly Labour despite the parachuting of Trissy to see it's the party affiliation that matters. There will be exceptions, but they're exceptions that prove the rule.

If Trissy resigned the whip (he won't) he'd lose his seat without a shadow of a doubt. He's likely to anyway because Stoke's almost definitely going to be losing a seat in the boundary review, and I'm reasonably certain he'd be okay with going now his ambitions of front bench-hood have been briefly realised and then potentially taken away for good.

I would absolutely love to see some of those people chance their arms against an official Labour party candidate. I'd be staying up all night just to see Hunt's face.:D

I doubt any of them are quite that stupid though unfortunately whatever they might say about their personal mandates. :(

Smith said Labour would be entitled to go against the referendum vote because people were lied to
That's an interesting idea, but rather a dangerous precedent for him to set. I wonder if it will work when the rest of us refuse to accept results of elections, votes in Parliament, etc on the basis that the electorate was lied to :hmm:

The majority of them will follow suit. The ones most likely to resign the whip are those who have a strong relationship with their constituents and can make a case for them voting indie rather than sticking with the LP loyalty. I wonder, then, how much Jess Phillips has been cultivating her relationships with her constituents that she feels so certain she could resign the whip? And I wonder whether she's ever even thought about it in terms of loyalty to the party name.

If Joan Whalley was still MP for Stoke North she'd be an example of someone who could potentially risk it (I'm not sure she would have, though, nor that she'd have still won), because she was generally well-liked for helping her constituents locally, but now she's been replaced by Ruth Smeeth...

You keep hearing this nonsense about MPs getting their mandate from the electorate and not the members, but it fundamentally misunderstands the role of party and affiliation/loyalty. 1) it misunderstands the fact that people vote for the party in the main (as explained above) and not for individual MPs; and 2) it misunderstands that with 1 being what it is it's the party selectorate who ultimately give the mandate to a particular MP to represent the party in that seat. Without the party these MPs wouldn't exist, and would certainly have never been elected. Perhaps it should be that the MPs get their mandate from the electorate, but that isn't the reality of party politics.
And not forgetting the Labour members on the ground leafletting, canvassing, getting nominations etc.

Oh, hang on. They seem to have forgotten the Labour party members on the ground. Or maybe not *forgotten*, more like 'we know better than them and can ignore their views' until of course they need them for the work on the ground that gets/keeps them elected. :rolleyes:

You've got to be the right kind of member, Sue. For a start, you've got to have been door knocking at least once a week for at least 10 years. And you've also got to not like Corbyn. Then, and only then, are you a 'real' member who matters. Only then are you the lifeblood of the party.

The headline says one thing, but the contents are a bit of a mixed bag and the mix is in favour of the plotters. This is a stand-out paragraph.
One former frontbencher said that if Labour MPs did not fall back into line, it would continue to “feed the narrative” that Mr Corbyn was being undermined by “Blairite” enemies in the Parliamentary Labour party. “Quite a few of my colleagues feel the same way, although not everyone.”

"A former frontbencher"? Typical. But here we have another example of just how incapable these people are at taking responsibility for their actions. Remember: these are the people that continue to blame the SNP for losing Scotland. In this case they're blaming Corbyn's supporters for their unpopularity.

I caught Dan Jarvis on any questions. Corbyn should be thanked for "reminding" the labour party of its roots and shadow cabinet elections will unite the party and make it better at reaching out. Clear implication that the message to Jezza is actually "thankyou and fuck off".
Again it seems that the old gaurd are accepting they are going to have to talk the talk on being less rightwing - but through audibly gritted teeth.

Back
Top Bottom