Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Jeremy Corbyn's time is up

I don't think I have seen someone fuck themselves right over to this degree for quite a long time. Well done Owen son, keep digging.

That electability thing really pisses me off.

They have no fucking awareness of context (nor a desire to have any). They look no further than the end of their nose balancing those 1997-rose-tinted glasses.

And they go on about "the most important thing is that Labour is in government so we can help people, and if it means having to make compromises so be it" seemingly ignoring the Great God Tone who declared "I'd rather a Tory government than a Left Wing Labour government" while Corbs was standing this time last year, and ignoring that they're fighting tooth and nail to ensure there can never be a Corbyn government. It's not that fucking important then, is it? If only they'd show a bit of honesty and admit it's ideological and about their jobs, rather than all this bullshit.

I think they all know Corbyn is going to win. They're hoping for as small a margin as possible so they can say "see, people are starting to see what a mess he is" and beyond that they're just using the whole event as another opportunity to ram in as much anti-Corbyn smearing and briefing as possible. The idea is it'll all add up, and eventually the tipping point will be reached, even if it isn't during this race.

That electability thing really pisses me off.

They have no fucking awareness of context (nor a desire to have any). They look no further than the end of their nose balancing those 1997-rose-tinted glasses.

And they go on about "the most important thing is that Labour is in government so we can help people, and if it means having to make compromises so be it" seemingly ignoring the Great God Tone who declared "I'd rather a Tory government than a Left Wing Labour government" while Corbs was standing this time last year, and ignoring that they're fighting tooth and nail to ensure there can never be a Corbyn government. It's not that fucking important then, is it? If only they'd show a bit of honesty and admit it's ideological and about their jobs, rather than all this bullshit.

It's all for show, no one actually thinks that Owen Smith is 'electable'. It's all about attacking Corbyn.

What they hadn't banked on was the long-serving members who would by rights be PLP backers, or rather, wouldn't necessarily be wholeheartedly supporters of Corbyn, who are starting to back him now out of sheer frustration and anger at their absolute cockwomblery. The 'reluctant Corbynista'.

So hopefully 140 or so MPs will get behind Corbyn if/when he wins, leaving only the refuseniks as a rump?

Can you actually see that happening? I think a handful of people who aren't currently in the Shadow Cabinet will come back and agree to reconcile but beyond that no way.

It's always worth taking note of who's being quiet. I know I've said it before, but Ummuna, Cooper, Jarvis, Creasy, etc. You hear something from them once in a while, but they're not leading the charge. I doubt they're even primary plotters (I think there are several groups, not at all cohesive beyond a small ragtag band that includes Benn and followers and Watson and whoever would be stupid enough to follow him). But they're waiting for their chance to come in and put themselves forward as the 'sensible' and 'professional' saviours to take us back to before all of this got out of hand. They'll let Watson and Smith and whoever else do all the dirty work and clear a path for them. And most importantly they'll claim to be 'not Corbyn' but also not associated with the worst of the plotters nor with Smith.

It's always worth taking note of who's being quiet. I know I've said it before, but Ummuna, Cooper, Jarvis, Creasy, etc. You hear something from them once in a while, but they're not leading the charge. I doubt they're even primary plotters (I think there are several groups, not at all cohesive beyond a small ragtag band that includes Benn and followers and Watson and whoever would be stupid enough to follow him). But they're waiting for their chance to come in and put themselves forward as the 'sensible' and 'professional' saviours to take us back to before all of this got out of hand. They'll let Watson and Smith and whoever else do all the dirty work and clear a path for them. And most importantly they'll claim to be 'not Corbyn' but also not associated with the worst of the plotters nor with Smith.

i think that may well be the case - but I cant see how labour can go back to its previous policy postions now - arguing for an end to austerity, renationalisation, tackling inequality, investment in socail housing and manufacturing are now mainstream ideas - an we can thank corbyn for that. Even the tories are making these sort of noises. The membership are going to have a bigger role now as well.

i think that may well be the case - but I cant see how labour can go back to its previous policy postions now - arguing for an end to austerity, renationalisation, tackling inequality, investment in socail housing and manufacturing are now mainstream ideas - an we can thank corbyn for that. Even the tories are making these sort of noises. The membership are going to have a bigger role now as well.

I agree, but they'll argue they can put forward those positions in a 'moderate' and 'sensible' way that is 'actually achievable' - which will for them for the most part mean more of the same. They genuinely don't understand that politics has shifted. They don't understand the context. Or, rather, they feel something shifting but don't understand its social, political and historical context and so are clinging on hoping to stop it shifting if only they can say Corbyn is bad enough times.

It's a really complex state of affairs, and their response is just going to keep getting uglier as they keep on not getting their way. I'm kind of depressed, kind of angry, but also kind of excited to see where things are going. Not especially in terms of the LP, but more generally. It's not just about a few hundred thousand new LP members, but about larger trends. Younger people who, had they been that age in the 90s wouldn't have been remotely interested in politics, are becoming engaged in one way or another in large numbers (whether or not the are 'doing it right'). The decline of the centre/centre-left and neoliberalism more broadly is happening all over the place, and the 'populism' that draws so much scorn that's rising in its place grows from a deep disaffection from decades of shit. We can make all sorts of predictions about what it means and where it'll go, but on a far broader scale than just the fate of who leads the LP it's heralding something... and the likes of the PLP can feel that foreboding and are hoping if they say it ain't so it won't be.

It's all for show, no one actually thinks that Owen Smith is 'electable'. It's all about attacking Corbyn.

You may be partially right in that its probably the way it has now panned out, and theyll go down fighting regardless and cause as much damage for the sake of it . But I believe they actually did think that he was electable initially . He was the replacement for Aaargh . Who was laughably unelectable despite being massively hyped . So why even bother replacing her ?
I think we credit these twats with too much intelligence sometimes. I reckon they truly thought they'd win . Even with Aaargh. Cheifly because they had the majority of MPs and viewed that as an unassailable seal of legitimacy. They just didn't foresee the full extent of the backlash , just as they didn't foresee brexit .

holy mother of pearl

Cr3IN_oXYAAo1bQ.jpg

Note also who is playing the longer game - Burnham and Khan keeping themselves out of the way for now, rising above it all and generally being quiet.

McTernan is not a serious person, he is a total joke even amongst the most hysterical and delusional elements of the various anti-Corbyn factions of the Labour Party.
Yet, the party continues to employ him as a spin doctor. If he's not a serious person, then why does he continue to get work? It makes no sense.

Can you actually see that happening? I think a handful of people who aren't currently in the Shadow Cabinet will come back and agree to reconcile but beyond that no way.

I think it'll come down to the constituency parties, in part. I've heard that some may flex their muscles with regard to the issues caused by boundary changes. If that's the case, we'll see how many members of the PLP value their principles over their seat.

I think it'll come down to the constituency parties, in part. I've heard that some may flex their muscles with regard to the issues caused by boundary changes. If that's the case, we'll see how many members of the PLP value their principles over their seat.

I suspect many, perhaps most, would call their CLP's bluff and resign the whip rather than be coerced into co-operation with the Corbyn cabinet. I didn't think that before MPs like Louise Haigh became outspokenly anti-Corbyn but imo there is no way back now. I can't really see how the party will move on beyond the stalemate that currently exists.

I don't know about the others, but Chuckles is currently in heavy schmooze mode with the local constituency party, because he wants to be MP for a new Brixton constituency, post-boundary changes. Currently he values his seat over his ambitions.

I suspect many, perhaps most, would call their CLP's bluff and resign the whip rather than be coerced into co-operation with the Corbyn cabinet. I didn't think that before MPs like Louise Haigh became outspokenly anti-Corbyn but imo there is no way back now. I can't really see how the party will move on beyond the stalemate that currently exists.

I'd say to you "look to party history". In just about every Labour govt, including Blair's, you've had people who absolutely shat on each other, working together in power. I can't see a possible Corbyn govt being any different, however pumped the antipathy currently is.

I don't know about the others, but Chuckles is currently in heavy schmooze mode with the local constituency party, because he wants to be MP for a new Brixton constituency, post-boundary changes. Currently he values his seat over his ambitions.

Are the CLP swallowing it?

The Mosborough results are really odd. I don't understand them at all, did people who previously voted UKIP go for the Lib Dems to keep Labour out or did they just not turn out this time?
Personal vote, probably. The winner used to be a councillor for the same ward, lost it in 2012. Now the need to punish the Libdems has receded, people who voted for her in the past probably went back.

Round here the lib dems have a number of council strongholds in working class areas that would normally be labour, that they've maintained through hard ward work over the years - they were eaten away at in the coalition years, but there's been a bounce back in the last 12 months. I expect the same is happening elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom