Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Jeremy Corbyn's time is up

So I have a ticket to the first leadership debate this evening. On the slim chance I get to ask a question I was thinking of asking about either a/records of practical activism or b/ where to focus electoral strategy and why. Any suggestions?

So I have a ticket to the first leadership debate this evening. On the slim chance I get to ask a question I was thinking of asking about either a/records of practical activism or b/ where to focus electoral strategy and why. Any suggestions?

Ask Smith how we know that he won't go back on all the promises he has made during the campaign the second he wins the leadership contest.

I flicked over to this and heard Owen Smith say 'day in daily' twice in a minute or so. Then I turned it off.

does he mean 'day in day out' or have I just not heard that expression before?

Final speeches, he just stood there and told Wales their leave vote was TERRIBLE. There were two rows at the end not clapping. Jeremy got a standing ovation. Going by what i'm reading upthread i'm glad that's all i saw.

Just left the debate, here are my half baked thoughts from within the room. Not sure what of the crowd was shown on telly.

There was a large group of Smith supporters in reserved seats at the far left (!) mostly bussed in from his CLP. They behaved disgracefully throughout, shouting abuse at Corbyn throughout every answer and shouting at Corbyn supporters sat nearby.

Smith was as expected the slicker politician, I was disappointed that Corbyn did less figures on economics as I'm sure McDonnell could. Initially in that environment Smith's attacks had some power but over time Corbyns refusal to engage seemed statesman like. I'm not sure how it came across on telly but Smith seemed to do best with the audience on the referendum despite my personal feeling on that. Corbyn seemed to do better on other topics. Towards the end Smith just seemed to shout we need to win at every question. I don't know, I personally felt the low key approach had some power over the course of the debate but I don't know how it would have come across on screen.

At the end there was the obligatory ovation off which Corbyn won hugely comfortably. Remember this is Smith's backyard. Quite a few Smith storm outs at that point. Had a discussion with a Smith voter who tried to persuade me that the sole SWP newspaper seller outside was evidence of mass infiltration. Thought of this thread.

Last edited:
the trend was there from the last 3 ipso mori polls, so not a single poll.

It's not meaningless at all, the meaning is clear - Corbyn is appealing to those who've not been voting recently / say they're less likely to vote and are therefore excluded from the official weighted figures.

This is important IMO because it is the clear alternative route to him winning the election - winning back those voters who felt excluded by labour's swing to the right who'd stopped voting entirely, rather than chasing tory votes. Turnout in 92 was 77.7%, last election it was 66.1%, so there's a potential 11% of extra votes available to a party that can convince those lost voters that they're worth voting for again, which should* easily enough to give Labour a clear majority over the tories.

*depending how it works in FPTP constituency terms.

There's this too from @britainelects

CpCNthdWgAIZU5-.jpg:large

In the May local elections they were 3% behind in the polls but equalled the 2012 results when Miliband was 10% ahead in the polls.

Back
Top Bottom