Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Japan Earthquake (Jan 2024) and plane collision

Something went seriously wrong there. :(

Two planes on the same runway. Passenger accounts suggest the two planes collided the second JAL touched down, perhaps even momentarily before it's wheels were even fully on the ground. The landing gear collapsed.

And this, boys and girls, is why we need strict health and safety regulations.
There usually are for flights. Either someone in the control tower allowed 2 planes on the same runway or the coastguard plane entered the runway without permission. :(

Sadly, 'quakes are par for the course in Japan but this time of year seems to collect them.
At least the building regs, and population are able to "cope" in some ways ...
Even the devastating ones.
Glad to hear that krtek & others are safe.

Plane accidents are something else ...
That was a frightening collision / fire with some horrible consequences.
Provisionally, I would suggest that there was a failure in air/ground control procedures that resulted in the two aircraft getting onto the same runway.
My initial thought was that the coastguard plane had been dragged along the runway under the much larger airbus.
I'm impressed with how quickly & safely the JAL plane was evacuated - all out with only 14 minor injuries.
And, how well the airbus stood up structurally - even if the fire took a long time to subdue.

Sadly, 'quakes are par for the course in Japan but this time of year seems to collect them.
At least the building regs, and population are able to "cope" in some ways ...
Even the devastating ones.
Glad to hear that krtek & others are safe.

Plane accidents are something else ...
That was a frightening collision / fire with some horrible consequences.
Provisionally, I would suggest that there was a failure in air/ground control procedures that resulted in the two aircraft getting onto the same runway.
My initial thought was that the coastguard plane had been dragged along the runway under the much larger airbus.
I'm impressed with how quickly & safely the JAL plane was evacuated - all out with only 14 minor injuries.
And, how well the airbus stood up structurally - even if the fire took a long time to subdue.
Last March and the March the year previously, we had strong quakes (not on the scale of 2011).

They never used to scare, but they do now. Tbh, the phone alarm warning is quite terrifying just before.

And now, inevitably, the conspiracy theories arrive

I am old enough to remember when one of the supposed benefits of the web was that anyone could become a “citizen journalist”. The bourgeois media could no longer keep the truth from the people, it was claimed.

As far as I was concerned, that claim proved to be false when one "citizen journalists" falsely reported that a second person had been killed at the anti-capitalism protests in Genoa in 2001. However, I think that the person who originally made that claim probably did so in good faith.

Read in Telegraph one of the main reasons for the swift evacuation was the Japanese passengers following instructions and not trying to take any hand luggage out with them... along of course with the well disciplined air crew.

They are trained to get all the passengers out within 90 seconds but couldn't use the middle doors.

Read in Telegraph one of the main reasons for the swift evacuation was the Japanese passengers following instructions and not trying to take any hand luggage out with them... along of course with the well disciplined air crew.

People conforming to national stereotype would surely have helped; leaving in an orderly fashion and obeying the instructions.

Unlike these dicks in the US:

AAA.JPG

And Ethiopean Airlines flight 961 which crashed in to the sea off the Comoros, the passengers who survived were the ones who didn't inflate their lifejackets until they had exited the aircraft.

I'm still not clear - did the fireball happen while passengers were still on-board? It's incredible anyone survived.

People conforming to national stereotype would surely have helped; leaving in an orderly fashion and obeying the instructions.

Unlike these dicks in the US:

View attachment 406928

And Ethiopean Airlines flight 961 which crashed in to the sea off the Comoros, the passengers who survived were the ones who didn't inflate their lifejackets until they had exited the aircraft.

Yes -I'm not too sure what would've happned with a flight full of British passengers... I'm not too optomistic..

Back
Top Bottom