Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

'It was a different time': excusing/minimising bad behaviour in the past

Casual racist "banter" was everywhere when I was growing up in Salford in the mid 70s. Interestingly, most people I knew, who got into punk music and the whole Rock Against Rascism thing, seemed to have a damascene conversion to anti-racism.
growing up in france i think the 1975 movie Dupont Lajoie (the common man in english) was a major kick start to later changes in attitudes.

Casual racist "banter" was everywhere when I was growing up in Salford in the mid 70s. Interestingly, most people I knew, who got into punk music and the whole Rock Against Rascism thing, seemed to have a damascene conversion to anti-racism.
I think the RaR scene empowered anti racists confidence , drew people into a culture/scene that was pretty much national and radicalised anti fascism. It attracted an untapped reservoir, challenged the day to day narrative and in many cases exposed it as fitting in banter. Once they became a pole of attraction RaR/ANL began to burst some bubbles of this casual racism and established a counter narrative.
I can remember us going into pubs and bit by bit standing our ground and pushing the die hard racists into a minority simply because we were more popular .

In 1989 I had a neighbour of fifteen with three kids. Including twins, but still. Both dads were late teens/early twenties (ie. I didn't know their ages but they were young men not school kids).

I was thinking about your response here when I was looking over my comments and wondering why I’m being ignored and I realised that that ⬆️ response was an apalling to say when somebody writes

F6D704A9-BBE8-4FFC-98D3-447EE28509AC.jpeg
Shame on you

Back
Top Bottom