Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Is the High Street doomed

Some of the morning papers ran headlines about web giants getting taxed differently to make it a level playing field. Not read any of them, and I suspect by the time anything gets implemented it will be too late.

I live above a row of shops; in the 2.5 years since I've been here, one business (a takeaway, chips and kebabs with a carvery on sundays) has closed, a second (florist, and florists are having it particularly bad nowadays) is in the process of closing - and this is just the last couple of years in only a 100-yard stretch of hight st.

There's a bakery up the road that's been open 30-odd years, and a fabric shop similarly. I wonder how much longer places like those have got.

EtA, the already-closed and still-vacant TV rental shop, hardware shop (knocked down now, bet it's flats next), closed department store, closed sweet shop (last year) .. but 8 or 9 charity shops, even more than that of hairdressers / nail salons. Couple of CashConverter type places. Vape shops. New Lidl, obvs.

Regulation like rent control, very specific commercial zoning etc. All anathema to the Anglo way.

One factor is the planning system which allows Tesco or whoever to launch endless appeals if they're denied permission to build a new store, and forces local authorities to pay legal costs each time. Even if the local council hasn't drunk the corporate regeneration kool aid, and isn't good-old-fashioned corrupt, they might well cave in just to save their precarious budget.

There is no way that stores like Homebase, B&Q, Wickes, etc. will survive. They have to keep enormous stocks of products (in all sizes/colours) which the great unwashed, fumbling public too often damage/steal. Places like Toolstore, Screwfix provide the same service with vastly lower overheads.

There is no way that stores like Homebase, B&Q, Wickes, etc. will survive. They have to keep enormous stocks of products (in all sizes/colours) which the great unwashed, fumbling public too often damage/steal. Places like Toolstore, Screwfix provide the same service with vastly lower overheads.

Wickes (200+ outlets) is probably best placed to survive, being owned by Travis Perkins, the builder merchants with almost 2000 outlets, and massive buying power.

And, Travis Perkins also own Toolstore.

The difference IME between Wickes and Homebase, is that Wickes have stuff I need that is built well enough to be worth using. Homebase is basically a tat shop, Wickes sell hardware. It's no guarantee, but if they do fold they'll be the last to go (apart from the odd small local hardware shop, which will no doubt cling on for ever by some combination of personal service and ideal location)

When I go into my local Wickes it's rarely busy. And Wickes is *not* cheap either.

I'll stand by my Wickes-is-doomed prediction, thanks.

I rarely go into any of these places, but was up doing a massive shed base at my niece's new house a few weeks ago, we needed another 900kg of ballast, which we picked-up from Wickes in Tunbridge Wells on the Sunday morning, we got there early, which was lucky as loads of people turned-up after us waiting for them to open, a good couple of dozen in the que.

Bloody big outlet as well, strangely right next to an even bigger Travis Perkins site!

TP is trade, Wickes is consumer, essentially. I think it's a VAT issue.

I've used both over the years, TP is mainly trade, but still deals with consumers, and Wickes vice versa.

Not sure about a VAT issue, as both charge VAT.

Fair enough, it's ages and ages since I've bought anything from TP. I think I remember TP's prices being displayed ex-VAT, but Wickes' prices are inc-VAT. Gave me the idea, it wasn't a rigorously researched claim, more like out the back of a van :)

The small hardware stores are generally selling the same Chinese made bits and pieces as the larger chains.

As for paints, it's amazing how shit a lot of paint in the UK is, especially considering it's a relatively mild maritime climate without huge amounts of UV or variations in humidity. Johnson's are about the best.

As I was reading your post, I was thinking 'Johnson's. It is amazing paint. One of the cats had clawed into textured wallpaper, when painted with a single coat of Johnson's, if you didn't know where it was you wouldn't see it.

Screwfix are owned by the same people as B&Q.

B&Q seems to loss-lead on popular items like white emulsion and plain tiles, but odds and ends are expensive, it’s usually cheaper in Wickes or even small independents (what’s left of them).

The Aussies must have taken a hell of a bruising over Homebase. I wonder if their due diligence was compromised by hubris. I suspect existing management of Homebase were glad to be paid off.

As I was reading your post, I was thinking 'Johnson's. It is amazing paint. One of the cats had clawed into textured wallpaper, when painted with a single coat of Johnson's, if you didn't know where it was you wouldn't see it.
You painted your cat? It’s no wonder you can’t see it...

Fair enough, it's ages and ages since I've bought anything from TP. I think I remember TP's prices being displayed ex-VAT, but Wickes' prices are inc-VAT. Gave me the idea, it wasn't a rigorously researched claim, more like out the back of a van :)

A lot of companies advertise ex-vat prices.

I rarely go into any of these places, but was up doing a massive shed base at my niece's new house a few weeks ago, we needed another 900kg of ballast, which we picked-up from Wickes in Tunbridge Wells on the Sunday morning, we got there early, which was lucky as loads of people turned-up after us waiting for them to open, a good couple of dozen in the que.

Bloody big outlet as well, strangely right next to an even bigger Travis Perkins site!

I'll bet you were surprised how small an amount 900kg is. A cubic meter of rock is circa 2000Kg. Wet sand is heavier than rock.

I'll bet you were surprised how small an amount 900kg is. A cubic meter of rock is circa 2000Kg. Wet sand is heavier than rock.

The 900kg was half a cubic metre, we had one lot dropped in a grab-bag on the Friday, for the job over the weekend.

But, somehow my brother had fucked-up with the calculations, despite having the right amount of cement, we needed another half cubic metre of ballast, but we had to go with small bags, a wrapped pallet load, fork-lifted out into the car-park, so we could break it down - max. 650 kg in my small van, the other 250kg in his car.

Cost about 25% more in small bags, but couldn't get a grab bag delivered on Sunday, the cement mixer had to go back first thing Monday, and us lot back to our day jobs.

ETA: Just checked, and edited & added 'half' a couple of times above, that's how he fucked up - he thought, and told me, the grab bag was a full cubic metre, now I going to ring in & tell him, the dickhead. :D

Last edited:
Give it another few decades and somewhere in the country there will be a Beamish style living history museum representing the turn of the millennium era, with reconstructed Woolies, Rumbelows, C&A and Blockbuster etc. A journey back in time. You’ll even be able to pay for stuff with reproduction money, the old decimalised stuff that existed before Prime Minister Mogg reintroduced farthings and 240 pennies to the pound.

More retail park, than high street, but 1,500 jobs to go:

Homebase set to close 42 stores

The whole lot could end-up closing, apparently it's crunch day, and if they can't get landlords to agree to rent reductions, of between 25% and 90% at 70 stores, the whole company is heading into administration, with over 11,000 jobs at risk. :(

DIY retailer Homebase faces a make-or-break vote on its future on Friday as it teeters on the brink of collapse.

The chain - where 70% of outlets are losing money - has proposed closing 42 stores and cutting rents on others as part of a rescue plan.

But some landlords plan to vote against the deal, or Company Voluntary Arrangement, saying it penalises them.

If it is not approved, owner Hilco Capital has said it is "very likely" Homebase will go into administration.

Homebase future in doubt as creditors meet

Their debts are massive...

Homebase owes more than £1bn to employees, landlords, suppliers and other creditors – but only has £151m spare to pay them if it goes bust.

If Homebase goes bust its 11,000 staff could be left out of pocket by £30.8m. The taxman could also lose out on £19.4m.

Trade creditors, who include suppliers and tradesmen, are owed £439.2m. They include Crown Paints, owed almost £2m, and Dulux paint owner Akzo Nobel, owed £4.6m.

Local councils, which set business rates, could be owed £43.7m while shop landlords stand to lose £439.1m.

Homebase crippled by £1.2bn debt pile: But it only has £151m to pay creditors if rescue fails | This is Money

Fuck sakes, half a billion owed, 11,000 jobs at risk. They’re fucked.

Plus their bird food is the cheapest around here :mad:

Back
Top Bottom