Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Is it too late?

I find it strange.

I feel like I should do something, urgently, stop work, switch off the electricity, turn the car into a greenhouse or something.
But everyone just carries on as normal and so do I, like I'm waiting for permission.

Dunno whether it's lethargy or fatalism but, yeah, this.

In moments of despair, am grateful for activists around the globe, including the youth who have not succumbed to cynicism & the indigenous peoples who are at the front lines, they are the bravest of us.

I can't see any way it isn't too late. 26 years of CoPs and GHG still rising, ffs. At the very basic minimum they needed to be falling a bit. I've worked in the building business retrofitting for energy efficiency and the stories I could tell you about failed initiatives, ducked standards, dodgy implementation - it's just shit all round, all the time.

Most recent case for me; I've just been to a friends house because she had some boiler problem, it's a condensing boiler, I thought I'd check her return temperature because when I can be arsed I do things like that. Return temperature was 65 degrees ffs. These things (condensing boilers) were made mandatory in 2005 because they are 25% more efficient than the old ones - but they literally do not deliver one bit of that efficiency if the return temp is over 58 degrees and you only get all of it if the return is below 40. When was it installed? Last year. The fucking installers literally never install in order to get efficiency. They haven't been trained to. Ask a heating engineers about getting the return down to condensing point and they'll look at you like you're speaking serbo-croat. This policy was introduced 17 years ago, how the fuck has no one noticed that it's delivering zero? The exact same thing can be found in every single part of the construction industry on anything to do with sustainability - no one knows fuck all, nothing. No one gives a shit.

A mate who is a HE says that they should have kept the old cast iron boilers because "at least they lasted 40 years", unlike modern combis which clap out in 10-15 (although strangely the exact same boilers last over 20 in Germany, but that's a whole other rant).

I find it strange.

I feel like I should do something, urgently, stop work, switch off the electricity, turn the car into a greenhouse or something.
But everyone just carries on as normal and so do I, like I'm waiting for permission.

Are you any good with thorium reactors?

It was the summer of '76. '77 was relatively disappointing.

I've been going about patronising younger people (something that I really like doing), saying that the issue in '76 was the length of time we went without rain rather than the freakish temperatures we saw at the beginning of last week. In my memory (I was 13 in '76) temperatures rarely got above 80f, that summer but the radio the other day reminded me that there were days when it reached about 36-37 celsius, which I also kind of remember when I think about it. Many shite summers followed '76, and. as far as I can recall, only '95 and the summer of about 4 years ago (2018?) came close to matching it in terms of extended dry periods (and my tan.)

What any of this means in terms of climate change I have no idea.
Not forgetting that the heatwave in '76 lasted for ten weeks not 3 days. :eek: :hmm:

Yes it is too late and we were never going to make it, the system is too complex, intertwined and has too much momentum. It really is a case of millions of poor people will die, richest will do well and somehow humanity will adapt. That's what we are good at. It's not the first time a civilization collapses. The consolation, for me, is that nature will also adapt, and ultimately, the sun will explode 🌞😱

And that's what I think when I'm feeling optimistic.

Does anyone else suspect that this is all inevitable and just a natural result of biological imperatives? Too much success for an organism leads to monocultural dominance of that species in all habitats, which destroys delicately balanced ecosystems and leads to overexploitation of resources, and then the extinction of not only the successful organism but of many others too.
Not that I want to let humanity off the hook though…

Yes it is too late and we were never going to make it, the system is too complex, intertwined and has too much momentum. It really is a case of millions of poor people will die, richest will do well and somehow humanity will adapt. That's what we are good at. It's not the first time a civilization collapses. The consolation, for me, is that nature will also adapt, and ultimately, the sun will explode 🌞😱

And that's what I think when I'm feeling optimistic.
the aztecs managed their environs not nearly as poorly as we have; and they became extinct.
. global warming is accelerating...

the aztecs managed their environs not nearly as poorly as we have; and they became extinct.
. global warming is accelerating...

Are you thinking of the Maya?

Historians also dislike the term extinction or collapse for them, as while cities were abandoned for much debated reason the people continued to live in the area and still do. With some theories being the common people were just fucking done with the elites and spiked the fuckers in the face of various issues including drought and complicated sacrifice rituals.

Does anyone else suspect that this is all inevitable and just a natural result of biological imperatives? Too much success for an organism leads to monocultural dominance of that species in all habitats, which destroys delicately balanced ecosystems and leads to overexploitation of resources, and then the extinction of not only the successful organism but of many others too.
Not that I want to let humanity off the hook though…

No.

What do you mean by biological imperatives though? It's capitalism that's got us to this position, not biological imperatives surely?

I’m sure capitalism has accelerated it for sure, but other civilisations have collapsed after overexploiting their resources

Yeah, for sure, but they were also exploitative and hierarchical as they developed in that way for various reasons, but some societies didn't collapse or over-exploit their ecological space, but were over taken/conquered/destroyed by the patriarchical/authoritarian/capitalist/etc. societies. So I think it's to do with certain forms of organisation and relationships rather than biological imperatives?

I don't remember it seeming to last that long. I was 13 at the time.
Same age as me. I remember it was abnormally hot right through last few weeks at school, the 6 week holiday and still hot for a few weeks after we went back to school in September. But as I say, such a length of time seemed an eternity then, at least to me.

I can remember all the number one's in the charts that summer as well, without looking it up.

I don't remember it seeming to last that long. I was 13 at the time.

We were down on the Romney Marshes that summer. It was hot and sunny and the grass on the marshes went golden yellow and the sheep put their heads through the fence to find something to eat, but I don’t recall it being too hot, I guess because the winds never stop blowing there for very long. The winter winds come from the Steppes*, like a knife between the shoulder blades.

* I don’t know if this is true and I don’t care, because it feels true.

Last edited:
It will be "too late" just as soon as the number of healthy adult humans becomes too small to support continued reproduction without serious inbreeding. Which could be a very small number if there are reliable supplies of sperm/eggs on ice.

Fatalism is a self-fulfilling prophecy. Don't succumb to it, because that means the bastards win. They can't deny the reality of climate change any more, so now they have pivoted to spreading hopelessness, the idea that it's too late to take any meaningful action. The scum are willing to play the dirtiest mind games in order to convince us to all throw away our futures for the sake of their short-term gain.

It's over though isn't it? The people who govern us would rather see us dead than acknowledge we have any worth. Freedom to take vs freedom to have any humanity. It's a rampage. At precisely the wrong time.

It will be "too late" just as soon as the number of healthy adult humans becomes too small to support continued reproduction without serious inbreeding. Which could be a very small number if there are reliable supplies of sperm/eggs on ice.

Fatalism is a self-fulfilling prophecy. Don't succumb to it, because that means the bastards win. They can't deny the reality of climate change any more, so now they have pivoted to spreading hopelessness, the idea that it's too late to take any meaningful action. The scum are willing to play the dirtiest mind games in order to convince us to all throw away our futures for the sake of their short-term gain.

I think a viable human population is something like 4,500... So yeah, long way to go. And regardless there will be people living/dying through any climate disaster, so got to keep minimising harms etc. There is literally no point in defeatism, and it's a betrayal of those who will follow and deal with worse. There are always solutions; they may be solutions to living in a radically altered world, they may be completely implausible at present (pretty convinced there are many technically viable things we could look at, more in sense of political will), but they have to be explored, proposed, tested regardless. It will be a thankless task for those doing it, but you have to keep that engagement going.

Yeah, for sure, but they were also exploitative and hierarchical as they developed in that way for various reasons, but some societies didn't collapse or over-exploit their ecological space, but were over taken/conquered/destroyed by the patriarchical/authoritarian/capitalist/etc. societies. So I think it's to do with certain forms of organisation and relationships rather than biological imperatives?

You could argue that exploitative and hierarchical organizational structures are part of our biological imperative. Even our biological relatives like chimps tend to have hierarchies within their social groups. It may just go with the type of social organization needed for us to survive, with a few exceptions in circumstances where there's no population pressures on land or food sources. (That doesn't mean that we shouldn't try to make social systems more flat.)

Last edited:
Shit that's not very optimistic! I mean realistic, but still. I wonder if we're going to see more militant responses to this?

You know how you put a lobster or a crab in a pot of cold water and heat it up and then they just die without any panic. That’s the human race. Two weeks ago wild fires raged, it was in the papers the next day, now? Nothing. Until next summer, when it’s worse, and the summer after that, etc etc.

Back
Top Bottom