Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Rewilding initiatives

In fact, grouse moors are a great example of how nebulous the idea of rewilding is within the context of the UK.
The moors were cleared for sheep and shooting/hunting (the Highland clearances), so should rewilding really be looking to encourage small scale crofting as had existed for hundreds if not thousands of years prior to them?

Not sure what the value of saying 'rewilders want subsidies' is. Farmers want subsidies too. Almost no rural land usage in the UK can make money in a globalised world so everyone wants subsidies. Farmers also want to produce a bit of food, and rewilders are also motivated by wanting to increase biodiversity.
Because people are both clearing tennants from the land and acquiring thousands of acres specifically to access this market and also the biodiversity net gain market, which is set to expand - cynically this has everything to do with the needs of capitalists and nothing to do with biodiversity needs.

I would have thought providing better habitats for struggling species if possible and where possible would be the main goal.

I understand that such initiatives can be done in the wrong way.

In fact, grouse moors are a great example of how nebulous the idea of rewilding is within the context of the UK.
The moors were cleared for sheep and shooting/hunting (the Highland clearances), so should rewilding really be looking to encourage small scale crofting as had existed for hundreds if not thousands of years prior to them?
Again you seem to be misunderstanding rewilding as a return to some point in the past. No-one who thinks about rewilding properly advocates that. You seem to know a lot about land-based industries but I'm not convinced you've really given rewilding a fair hearing.

I agree that subsidy programs shouldn't encourage consolidation of land ownership, but govt policies have been encouraging that since the second world war. If we want to stop it I don't think the starting point is deciding that rewilding is a scam.

Back
Top Bottom