Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Is Brexit actually going to happen?

Will we have a brexit?

• Total voters
SpackleFrog and redsquirrel

Fair enough, I’m happy to admit the Poll Tax comparison was wholly inappropriate. But if we can move on from that now, the point I was trying to make however badly put is that I’m perceiving a general vibe of contempt ITT towards the march and their participants, for no meritable reason I can think of.

Almost as if some of those here deriding the marchers actually have a problem with the right to protest by citizens if they don’t agree with the protesters’s views, or if the cause seems a lost one. Not from everyone here of course. But it shouldn’t happen in the first place.

I’m comparing the principle of protesting for issues one cares about, which appears to be arbitrary ITT.

But if you think the Poll Tax protests is a bad comparison, you can use any of the countless small scale protests up and down the country, most of which have far less of a chance of succeeding than Remain protests. Do you think they are worthy of mockery or contempt too?
No to sex education!

I don’t think one should criticise or dismiss a march of nearly a million ordinary people because a few dislakeable politicians are tagging along. Certainly given the amount of truly despicable individuals who are amongst the the Brexit support. And at a far higher and more objectionable level than their Remain opposites, one could add.
One could add but one would be wrong.

There we go - Tony Blair, Anna Soubry and Alistair Campbell aren't as bad as Farage. Lesser evil. Sure. At least we know where you stand now eh? Sure, Blair is responsible for the death of a million Iraqi's but Farage is despicable.

If Farage wasn't Farage someone else would be. Blair on the other hand, is a different category of thing altogether.

Almost as if some of those here deriding the marchers actually have a problem with the right to protest by citizens if they don’t agree with the protesters’s views, or if the cause seems a lost one. Not from everyone here of course. But it shouldn’t happen in the first place.
What TopCat said. Total effing cobblers, no one has made any such argument.

EDIT: And in fact I don't see a great deal of contempt for yesterday's march on this thread.

There we go - Tony Blair, Anna Soubry and Alistair Campbell aren't as bad as Farage. Lesser evil. Sure. At least we know where you stand now eh? Sure, Blair is responsible for the death of a million Iraqi's but Farage is despicable.
Dismissing a protest or viewpoint simply because some nasty people adhere to it seems to me as utterly absurd as is flawed. There will not have been a single issue in human history that was not supported by some truly abominable individuals.

So since it is certainly a fact that both sides of the Brexit debate have deeply objectionable supporters, what are you proposing here? That both Leave and Remain protesters should be dismissed since they both have odious cheerleaders? Or are you actually suggesting we should play some kind of top trumps game and weight up which side has the lower combined evilness points to decide which one is in the right?

Dismissing a protest or viewpoint simply because some nasty people adhere to it seems to me as utterly absurd as is flawed. There will not have been a single issue in human history that was not supported by some truly abominable individuals.

So since it is certainly a fact that both sides of the Brexit debate have deeply objectionable supporters, what are you proposing here? That both Leave and Remain protesters should be dismissed since they both have odious cheerleaders? Or are you actually suggesting we should play some kind of top trumps game and weight up which side has the lower combined evilness points to decide which one is in the right?

That's what you did don't flip it on me!

I'm glad you can acknowledge the poll tax demo comparison was way off. Thanks for that.

Who's dismissed it?

Hang on, you're the one suggesting this by arguing against against criticism of the LDs etc, while calling those on the Leave side despicable.

Who's dismissed it?

Hang on, you're the one suggesting this by arguing against against criticism of the LDs etc, while calling those on the Leave side despicable.
I didn’t “call those on the Leave side despicable”. Please do not twist my words like that. I said the Leave side also has plenty of despicable supporters, after you brought up the concept of judging a march by whether it is attended by some objectionable individuals.

I didn’t start this particular game, which is not the best way to judge the merits of a given march or a cause IMO.

So, hold on.

No vote at all this week = no deal Brexit on Friday, right?

Pass MV3 = Extension until May 22nd to sort the legal gubbins.

Fail MV3 = Two week extension to basically sort our shit out (lol)

So, hold on.

Basically, yes, but the first won't happen. There will be either option 2 or 3. Looking increasingly like 3. What that will then mean, um, er, fuck knows.

Yeah, but hasn't Bercow told her to get to fuck with MV3? :D
Yeah, but they can still amend the date on the brexit laws to the new date of 12 April even without MV3 - they don't need to ask for further EU permission to do that. No deal this Friday won't happen - there is no excuse for it to happen.

Yeah, but they can still amend the date on the brexit laws to the new date of 12 April even without MV3. No deal this Friday won't happen - there is no excuse for it to happen.

Yeah nah though, I thought the 12 April vote was contingent on MV3 passing before the Friday deadline :hmm::hmm:

Yeah nah though, I thought the 12 April vote was contingent on MV3 passing before the Friday deadline :hmm::hmm:

No... April 12th is the new crunch deadline. A passed MV3 allows an extension until 22 May. I think.

e2a: as lbj said.

Don't think so, no, but they'll need to amend the legislation to 12 April by then. It is the deal that WILL NOT DIE.

Hmm... looking at the legislation I think it's possible for a minister to amend exit day. I think my theory is still that May wants an MV3 crunch vote, but that seems increasingly unlikely. And she doesn't stand a snowball's while there is still potential for other options on the remain/soft brexit side.

So, hold on.

Yes...and they're all still arguing.

I didn’t “call those on the Leave side despicable”. Please do not twist my words like that. I said the Leave side also has plenty of despicable supporters, after you brought up the concept of judging a march by whether it is attended by some objectionable individuals.

I didn’t start this particular game, which is not the best way to judge the merits of a given march or a cause IMO.

You literally did start that game.

Back
Top Bottom