Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Is Brexit actually going to happen?

Will we have a brexit?

• Total voters
However there is a long history behind another practical solution which turns out to be right up to date, the clue is in this list (some might be more precise than others, and I may not be accurately chronological but hopefully you will get my drift)

Maiden Castle

There may be some I've missed, but it is a pretty persistent trope that a way to create a divide is to do it in some kind of physical way.

I used to live near there

It's nice: nobody there, lots of grass. :thumbs:

The principle way I discuss the Irish border starts with asking about the practicalities.
I simply cant see how the notion of 'leave' is going to apply when the Geography is there as the link.
Actually the best practical solution I have seen posted is the notion of some kind of honesty boxes for those inclined to engage with them! However there is a long history behind another practical solution which turns out to be right up to date, the clue is in this list (some might be more precise than others, and I may not be accurately chronological but hopefully you will get my drift)

Jericho
Masala
Maiden Castle
The Antonine Wall
Hadrians Wall
The Great Wall of China
Castles
Walled cities
Offas Dyke
Moats
The Pale
The Siegfried Line
The Maginot Line
The Iron Curtain
The Berlin Wall
Trumps dream of a wall.

There may be some I've missed, but it is a pretty persistent trope that a way to create a divide is to do it in some kind of physical way.

I have suggested that in order to leave something you're joined to something has to happen in a practical sense, unless there is some bizarre agreement for the EU and the UK to never speak to each other again and leave it at that.
So it is not so much that the border will sink brexit as much as brexit won't happen in the first place if 'leave' actually means 'remain joined' in some kind of doublethink way.

As for the petition I don't really have the skill to analyse the regional variations and what they might mean.

The border issue of course has history, culture and an International Treaty to consider and I have tried to discuss (probably in a less knowledgeable way than others can discuss it) those things in previous times here, but it suits me at the moment to boringly and persistently ask about the practicalities associated with the concept of leaving.
Moats are interesting and seem to have declined in popularity recently.

Maybe some the politicians who have got us into this mess can be pressed into service to alleviate at least part of it by constructing the Great Anglo-Irish Tariff Moat to ensure that no goods can sneak in or out of the EU through the proverbial back door.

Can't see it at all but I guess it's only available in the UK :(

You're not missing anything, it's a bit of fun, but means bugger all.

Some people seem to think these petitions on the government's website forces a debate in Parliament if they hit 100,000 signatures, they don't, any such numbers only ensures 'petitions are considered for debate in Parliament.

C4 were reckoning a while ago that the extension would be to May 7th but without the pre-condition that the Withdrawal Agreement passes.So prolonging the chaos-Macron's idea they said.

I hate to ask this but what would happen to a vote on Corbyn's proposal? As I understand it's leaving without really leaving - so stays in customs union and sort of keeps employment and environmental protections and things? But doesn't fuck us over completely as with hard brexit.

I hate to ask this but what would happen to a vote on Corbyn's proposal? As I understand it's leaving without really leaving - so stays in customs union and sort of keeps employment and environmental protections and things? But doesn't fuck us over completely as with hard brexit.
we may as well stay in, he dare not say that does he

Just read this on BBC web site

The PM's spokesman added: "The PM has long been clear that failing to deliver on the referendum result would be a failure of democracy and a failure she wouldn't countenance."

I see the PM is confused as to the referendum result as well, this must rank alongside "The Will Of The People" myth.

Is it only common people that have common sense?

I do see that an arbitrary poll open to all the British people which is not advertised can be discounted. Whereas an arbitrary poll in which you deny 30% of the British people from voting spend millions advertising and campaigning and which delivers a minority in favour of what you hoped for is the on to go for especially if you call it a referendum.

Mind you even the local paper in Portugal has said 52% of the British people have voted for brexit whereas in truth only 16-17% of the British people voted for Brexit (I do count ALL the British people not just those allowed to vote and who did vote).

Instead of stuff like 'Operation Yellowhammer" and "Operation Redfold," which sound like they could be from James Bond films, the government should be using code names that reinforce the scale of their failure and the shame they should be feeling.

"Operation Shit the Bed has been activated, any news from the team at Operation Cat Vomit?"

Back
Top Bottom