Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Is Brexit actually going to happen?

Will we have a brexit?

• Total voters
You've had several answers to your questions already, you just don't like any of them.

There have been some answers, but mainly they raise further questions regarding a myriad of practicalities.

In the past one 'answer' that has popped up is 'let there be a United Ireland'.
All well and good possibly, but that would not be 'brexit' in the sense of the current UK leaving the EU. That kind of answer raises questions as to how such a thing can be achieved.
My 'myopic' obsession regarding the border is about the practical realities there. It is my way of engaging with this topic.
Others engage by obsessing about money, or which particular descriptors suit which particular individual or institution.
Incidentally, you don't know what I like it don't like, as I don't know what you like or don't like.

There have been some answers, but mainly they raise further questions regarding a myriad of practicalities.

In the past one 'answer' that has popped up is 'let there be a United Ireland'.
All well and good possibly, but that would not be 'brexit' in the sense of the current UK leaving the EU. That kind of answer raises questions as to how such a thing can be achieved.
obviously it wouldn't be 'brexit' in the sense of the current uk leaving the eu. that's kind of the point.

All well and good possibly, but that would not be 'brexit' in the sense of the current UK leaving the EU.
And? It’s not (or ought not to be) in the gift of parts of the UK that aren’t those that may leave whether or not other parts leave. That seems fairly self evident to me.

My personal preference would be for the UK state to break down, for Ireland to reunify and for Scotland to become independent. Wales would also hopefully find a settlement that suits its inhabitants. But that’s up to the people who live in those polities.

Sheesh.
Do you have the superiority complex you appear to have?
You don't provide explanations, so you wouldn't know if I do or don't understand them.
i don't have a superiority complex. i am talking from experience of not more than a few minutes ago, when you didn't recognise that no platforming someone is the same as denying them a platform. it is nothing to do with me or how i feel about you or anything, and everything to do with the frequent interactions you've had here with a range of posters where the simple points they've made have flown right over your head. as for my providing explanations, i refer you once more to your inability to understand the notion of no platform and your spluttering response to my using a word you'd not employed.

i don't have a superiority complex. i am talking from experience of not more than a few minutes ago, when you didn't recognise that no platforming someone is the same as denying them a platform. it is nothing to do with me or how i feel about you or anything, and everything to do with the frequent interactions you've had here with a range of posters where the simple points they've made have flown right over your head. as for my providing explanations, i refer you once more to your inability to understand the notion of no platform and your spluttering response to my using a word you'd not employed.

You speak for others now?
'a range of posters'.
And you don't have a superiority complex?

I am content with the way I employed 'no platforming' in the context in which I used it.
If you have a problem with that I refer the right honourable gentleman to his own control freakery.

You speak for others now?
'a range of posters'.
And you don't have a superiority complex?

I am content with the way I employed 'no platforming' in the context in which I used it.
If you have a problem with that I refer the right honourable gentleman to his own control freakery.
i am not speaking for others. i am pointing out that the difficulties you've displayed in understanding what people have actually said are not limited to the difficulties you've had understanding what i've said. i have observed you misunderstanding lots of people on this thread to the extent where it frankly seems wilful.

i know you're content with the way you employed 'no platforming'. but that doesn't change the fact that your idiosyncratic understanding of the term isn't shared by anyone else.

i don't have a problem with any of this, being as it's not me who has great difficulty understanding what other people say.

i am not speaking for others. i am pointing out that the difficulties you've displayed in understanding what people have actually said are not limited to the difficulties you've had understanding what i've said. i have observed you misunderstanding lots of people on this thread to the extent where it frankly seems wilful.

i know you're content with the way you employed 'no platforming'. but that doesn't change the fact that your idiosyncratic understanding of the term isn't shared by anyone else.

i don't have a problem with any of this, being as it's not me who has great difficulty understanding what other people say.

'I am not speaking for other's
'...isn't shared by anyone else'.

Yet you say that I am a person who has difficulty understanding?

Eurostar disruption as French customs agents worked to rule. On the news last night they interviewed disgruntled passengers in the queue at Gare du Nord, these people had been told exactly the same thing, yet interpreted it strictly in accordance with their leave or remain views:

"They are demonstrating what things will be like after the UK leaves the EU."

"They are using the UK leaving the EU as leverage for better pay and conditions."

:)

Eurostar disruption as French customs agents worked to rule. On the news last night they interviewed disgruntled passengers in the queue at Gare du Nord, these people had been told exactly the same thing, yet interpreted it strictly in accordance with their leave or remain views:

"They are demonstrating what things will be like after the UK leaves the EU."

"They are using the UK leaving the EU as leverage for better pay and conditions."

:)

The world might be in chaos, war, poverty, religious fundamentalism are all on the rise, but one thing remains the same: French workers disrupting the transport infrastructure because they can.

Aww, it fair brings a tear to the eye.

And? It’s not (or ought not to be) in the gift of parts of the UK that aren’t those that may leave whether or not other parts leave. That seems fairly self evident to me.

My personal preference would be for the UK state to break down, for Ireland to reunify and for Scotland to become independent. Wales would also hopefully find a settlement that suits its inhabitants. But that’s up to the people who live in those polities.

I am resistant to the notion of polities being smaller and smaller and then adding layers of difficulty when contemplating collaboration.
I am of an Irish background, but am not of a nationalist mindset seeking 'freedom', I am more interested in confronting restrictions that might be oppressive whatever the source.
However I think there are cultural ties that create communities, but it seems to me that problems like environmental damage are much wider than individual communities or countries.
I have no ready made solutions to problems, but my personal preference is that there is more and more collaboration everywhere in seeking solutions.

I am resistant to the notion of polities being smaller and smaller and then adding layers of difficulty when contemplating collaboration.
I am of an Irish background, but am not of a nationalist mindset seeking 'freedom', I am more interested in confronting restrictions that might be oppressive whatever the source.
However I think there are cultural ties that create communities, but it seems to me that problems like environmental damage are much wider than individual communities or countries.
I have no ready made solutions to problems, but my personal preference is that there is more and more collaboration everywhere in seeking solutions.
Agree with all that. But I think collaboration needs to be by the class. Working classes in various geographies can cooperate in self management and facing down the bosses. Stronger states aren’t a help in that.

View attachment 163789
yes, i say you have difficulty understanding

Seriously?
You go for a dictionary when your invocation of 'anyone else' weakens?

If you are desperate to be precise re-visit the post where I mentioned the term 'no platform' and take it from there.

For a person who has previously delivered pompous lectures regarding language, you might be interested to know language is organic and developing a lot of the time, and is not pinned down by a dictionary definition.

I repeat I am content regarding the context in which I used the term, you are dragging this conversation out for some kind of irrelevant personal quest.

The way you can no platform me on this site is put me on ignore. I am sure others here do.
that is not no platforming, as it is not preventing you carrying on. it would be no platforming if the moderators were persuaded to ban you to prevent you carrying on so. refusing someone a platform (or denying them, if you prefer) is an active thing, it is not a passive, fingers in ears, la la la i can't hear you thing.

of course your confusion goes back quite a ways
The general strategy here is not difficult to follow, dig out a poster, they defend themselves and therefore are accused of attention seeking and it all being 'look at me' or being a troll. It is bollocks. A poster earlier put me on ignore, wouldn't that be a better policy, a personal bit of what people these days call 'no platforming'?
that is not no platforming

that is not no platforming, as it is not preventing you carrying on. it would be no platforming if the moderators were persuaded to ban you to prevent you carrying on so. refusing someone a platform (or denying them, if you prefer) is an active thing, it is not a passive, fingers in ears, la la la i can't hear you thing.

I accept your point about active and passive, although it has always amused me in the past when in some kind of active flounce one poster has declared publicly that they are putting another poster on ignore because they disagree with what they say.
If there is any part of no platforming which includes the blunt shutting down of dialogue, then that is what I am getting at.
There you go. Are you able to leave the personals there?

I accept your point about active and passive, although it has always amused me in the past when in some kind of active flounce one poster has declared publicly that they are putting another poster on ignore because they disagree with what they say.
If there is any part of no platforming which includes the blunt shutting down of dialogue, then that is what I am getting at.
There you go. Are you able to leave the personals there?
being as you said i contaminate the boards, that i'm a control freak, i think you're something of a hypocrite here. i have reviewed my posts over the last couple of pages and i am satisfied i have not got personal with you. i have pointed things out - like your difficulty understanding what is said to you. but that's pointing to something that is in evidence on these boards. i haven't drawn conclusions about why you have difficulty understanding: could be noisy neighbours distracting you for all i know. but to point to these things which anyone reading the thread can observe - i haven't said anything personal about you.

being as you said i contaminate the boards, that i'm a control freak, i think you're something of a hypocrite here. i have reviewed my posts over the last couple of pages and i am satisfied i have not got personal with you. i have pointed things out - like your difficulty understanding what is said to you. but that's pointing to something that is in evidence on these boards. i haven't drawn conclusions about why you have difficulty understanding: could be noisy neighbours distracting you for all i know. but to point to these things which anyone reading the thread can observe - i haven't said anything personal about you.

OK so you want to keep it going.
You say I frequently have difficulty understanding things.
Like you're the judge.
If you don't see that as patronising and personal, I do.
You frequently use digs at me, invoking imaginary past misdeeds, and now saying I am something of a hypocrite, and that is not you returning to your enduring leitmotiv of putting me down presumaby as a way of comforting yourself that in some way you are superior?
What about your earlier complaint about the number of posts I make with the added dressing of the word 'only'.
My interest here is allied to the topic title, not to be fodder for your self aggrandizement.

Back
Top Bottom