Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Is Brexit actually going to happen?

Will we have a brexit?

• Total voters
The reason I mentioned the Channel specifically is because it relates to the current work to rule by French customs officials, linked to in my post, not because my views are blinkered by what you imagine to be my Englishness (in fact I'm Scottish enough that I would be granted Scottish citizenship in the event of an independent Scotland).

And I haven't mentioned or even hinted at racism on your part, but if the cap fits...
Are you Welsh?

The reason I mentioned the Channel specifically is because it relates to the current work to rule by French customs officials, linked to in my post, not because my views are blinkered by what you imagine to be my Englishness (in fact I'm Scottish enough that I would be granted Scottish citizenship in the event of an independent Scotland).

And I haven't mentioned or even hinted at racism on your part, but if the cap fits...
So there is a border with France already, and there'll be no difference after brexit, is that what you're saying?

So there is a border with France already, and there'll be no difference after brexit, is that what you're saying?
The first part is clearly true, the second is equally clearly not what I said.

At this stage, no one knows for sure exactly what form the border between the UK and the EU will take after Brexit, even me.

The first part is clearly true, the second is equally clearly not what I said.

At this stage, no one knows for sure exactly what form the border between the UK and the EU will take after Brexit, even me.[/QUOT

Nobody knows is the point.
Yet people who voted brexit continually say they knew what they were voting for.
The reality is surely you can't leave by remaining joined.

I'm not sure that all Brexit voters are continually saying they 'knew what they were voting for', though I suppose some might be.

When I voted to Leave, I expected the border between the UK and the EU to change in some way, but I realised that the exact form of the new border would depend on negotiations between two sides and could therefore not be predicted in advance, just like many other changes

I'm not sure that all Brexit voters are continually saying they 'knew what they were voting for', though I suppose some might be.

When I voted to Leave, I expected the border between the UK and the EU to change in some way, but I realised that the exact form of the new border would depend on negotiations between two sides and could therefore not be predicted in advance, just like many other changes
Did you vote in the belief that there was currently no 'open' border between the UK and the rest of the EU, as you claimed above?

What is there to negotiate?
You voted leave. Two divergent systems with a line of demarcation.

I hadnt heard that requirement - can you link me please?
I didn't save the link, but will have to look it up, but it's not unusual for government registration schemes to require people to update such details - like the PVG (Protection of Vulnerable Groups) scheme, which is something like DBS in England and Wales. You have to notify them when your details change to keep your registration current. But the difference is that's a scheme related to employment or volunteering, and the worst that can happen if you don't comply is you can't do certain types of jobs. With settled status, it's mandatory for non UK EU citizens if they want to carry on living in the UK. There are also big questions about data protection - applicants must give consent that their data will be shared with pretty well whoever the Home Office wants.

DexterTCN , why are you posting these tweet videos without comment? What point do you imagine you’re making? Do you think it adds to the knowledge of thread readers in some way? I can’t imagine there’s anyone here who isn’t aware of the chlorinated chicken story or the stories of the bureaucratic nightmare people are having with residency.

A short comment is potentially all that’s needed.

DexterTCN , why are you posting these tweet videos without comment? What point do you imagine you’re making? Do you think it adds to the knowledge of thread readers in some way? I can’t imagine there’s anyone here who isn’t aware of the chlorinated chicken story or the stories of the bureaucratic nightmare people are having with residency.

A short comment is potentially all that’s needed.

I actually don't know anything about chlorinated chicken but that's deliberate and partly a result of refusing to click on Dexter's silly links.

I'm not sure that there's really that much to know about chlorinated chicken, other that it is chicken which has been treated in some sort of chlorination process to kill some sort of bacteria or other organism which would otherwise cause a threat to human health (and that of course begs the question of why it needs to be treated in this way in the first place, presumably because of poor food hygiene or livestock conditions prevalent in places like the US where such processes are commonplace).

But what I confess I don't understand is why it's presented like a trump card on this and other threads as if all of us who voted Leave are in favour of chlorinated chicken (I'm certainly not) or its very existance is some sort of definitive argument against Brexit (it really isn't, anymore than much of the other nonsense die hard Remainers post up with much comment or genuine argument).

Still, DexterTCN's tweet quotes someone from the SNP, so clearly no further comment or explanation is necessary...

It's called sharing. It's a modern phenomenon and is the generally accepted way of doing it by millions or billions of people. Google News has a share button you know.

There are so many disparate opinions and topics within threads so, when I'm not talking to someone specifically I can just throw it out there if I'm on the bus or at work or wherever and if someone wants to discuss it then I'm happy to do so.

Now the interesting thing about that video, as far as this thread is concerned, is the reason why foodstuffs are treated like this in the US and the additional dangers being introduced to the UK by accepting them. That's not been on this thread as far as I can see.

And Phillipa Whitford is a good doctor and knows what she's talking about. She's also very outspoken on the isotope issues with brexit. And she goes to Gaza to do breast cancer operations and give treatment advice to hospitals there. She has been very vocal about NHS privatisation in England. I respect her.

And...I'm not looking for approval or validation. I'll post what I like if it's relevant to the topic.

This is for andy

And Phillipa Whitford is a good doctor and knows what she's talking about. She's also very outspoken on the isotope issues with brexit. And she goes to Gaza to do breast cancer operations and give treatment advice to hospitals there. She has been very vocal about NHS privatisation in England. I respect her.
As it happens, I think she’s a decent person too, from what I’ve seen.

There’s nothing wrong with sharing links to whatever you want. But a few words about why might help.

It's called sharing. It's a modern phenomenon and is the generally accepted way of doing it by millions or billions of people. Google News has a share button you know.
But this is a discussion board not Google News, facebook or twitter.

I know danny la rouge is a mercurial, unreliable type but he's absolutely correct here. Not even bothering to give a one sentence summary of what your posting is impolite, others may not be able to access that media at that time, which is why it's against the site rules.

And this is a general point not just to Dexter.

But what I confess I don't understand is why it's presented like a trump card on this and other threads as if all of us who voted Leave are in favour of chlorinated chicken (I'm certainly not) or its very existance is some sort of definitive argument against Brexit (it really isn't, anymore than much of the other nonsense die hard Remainers post up with much comment or genuine argument).

I don't think it is a trump card. Gove was asked on Marr at least twice if he'd rule out allowing beef and chicken to be imported from the USA that doesn't meet UK standards, he danced around it. The NFU has also asked him, he avoids it. JRM diverts the question and talks about Australian beef. I don't even think its an argument against Brexit, it's a demonstration that the Tory government are refusing to commit to basic protections to the UK farming industry.

I don't think it is a trump card. Gove was asked on Marr at least twice if he'd rule out allowing beef and chicken to be imported from the USA that doesn't meet UK standards, he danced around it. The NFU has also asked him, he avoids it. JRM diverts the question and talks about Australian beef. I don't even think its an argument against Brexit, it's a demonstration that the Tory government are refusing to commit to basic protections to the UK farming industry.
Or basic protections for livestock. Or basic protections for consumers.

I don’t eat meat, so it doesn’t directly affect me. But it is depressing.

But this is a discussion board not Google News, facebook or twitter.

I know danny la rouge is a mercurial, unreliable type but he's absolutely correct here. Not even bothering to give a one sentence summary of what your posting is impolite, others may not be able to access that media at that time, which is why it's against the site rules.

And this is a general point not just to Dexter.
Yes...good point.

Just about every time you ever post it's only to agree with your mate and dismiss what is being said by the other, usually throwing in a judgement or insult.

Think you'll ever start discussing, squirrel?

Back
Top Bottom